Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Golgotha ... meh

Elsworth Sugarfoot
Bludwulf, you recruiting this guy is the same sort of lies that the EBA sells their recruits. Peaceful, non-aggressive, etc. Everyone in game knows that's not you.
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Elsworth Sugarfoot
Bludwulf, you recruiting this guy is the same sort of lies that the EBA sells their recruits. Peaceful, non-aggressive, etc. Everyone in game knows that's not you.

Really? Will the last company feuded by Aragonian Council, please raise your hand!

Will the last traveller jumped and looted by me or any of Aragonian Council, please raise your hand?

Note, I did recently shoot someone at the bank in Marchmont with my alt. I was testing the TG response out of curiosity, it has been that long.

Let me try this one… Will the last person or group that was joined to run an escalation by me or any member of Aragonian Council, please raise your hand?

Only to the last question would there be hands raised.

Until there is legitimate banditry, and I have an indication that there are a number of players willing to dedicate themselves to that game play, the UnNamed Company will remain dormant. That may require factions.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Doc
There is an ongoing meta battle with one side attempting to convince the devs that EITHER they actually meant low/no penalty ganking of non combatants is OK with a suitable role play excuse when they said "PFO is a PvP game but will not be a murder sim" OR that they were simply wrong opposing a "murder sim" and claiming that the game will fail if they do not allow minimal/no penalty scrappy small gang unsanctioned PvP

Whether not anybody could actually convince Goblin Works to "reinterpret" their own "original" concepts is kind of a silly contention, no? None of the players can add code to the game. So if Goblin Works decides to add a feature whereby one group of players can declare war on another group of players, and attack and kill them without losing reputation, then that is entirely on Goblin Works. If somebody doesn't like it then perhaps their beef should be with Goblin Works?

other side pushing for more of the original advertised large battle formation maneuver vision of PvP.

I know this for certain, at least one "side" is making great use of maneuver tactics during PvP in PFO. It's pretty neat to be listening on voice comm while 3-4 full party groups position themselves for an enveloping assault on a known position of enemies, with one group being positioned directly in the path of the predicted escape route - in order to ambush those that flee.

It's fashionable to just refer to EoX players as mindless bandits, but if you sat in Teamspeak and listened to their level of organization during PvP ops you'd realize they are actually a lot of very intelligent people, who primarily are just intensely competitive.

Maybe that is part of the overall problem?

Ever tried to play a pick-up game of soccer with a bunch of college students who "play", while you yourself (much older then them) are just looking for a friendly weekend run around the pitch?

I think there just needs to be more people in the game, and not just more players but more players who are willing and want to participate in all expects of the game, and not just one aspect of it in which they believe they should be able to play unimpeded as if an offline RPG.
BlackMoria
Golgotha would be at war with someone, if not EBA. They would have to do it to keep their player base satisfied.

There will be no peace with EBA because Golgotha has no interest in peace. To them, peace would be banditry only and I would think that would get old real quick for their player base. There has to be war to drive their recruiting and to keep their players satisfied or they will lose interest and quit.

The stark reality is, EBA can survive without EoX because while EBA does do a lot of PvP, it is not their only focus and are quite happy to do escalations and other less belligerent pursuits.

On the other hand, EoX can't survive without EBA right now. Golgotha has made it their stance and clarion call that they are THE PVP alliance in the game and they have oversold that point, such that if the war with EoX and EBA were to stop, unless they started another conflict with another settlement, their player base would start to bleed away because banditry can only sustain that PvP itch only so long before it because boring and bored players leave.

As for the other settlements - relative peace for them because EBA is the current dance partner for EoX. If that changes, aggression from EoX will come to them and their peace will end.

No settlement should have a expectation of relative peace as a long term status strategy because if members of EBA become disillusioned and move to other settlements or quit to the point that EBA is no longer viable, EoX will simply pick a fight with the next largest settlement and it starts all over again.

There will be a forever war because Golgotha wants it and Golgotha needs it. EBA is the only game in town for them right now and if that were to change, it would be someone else's settlement that Golgotha needs for content for their players.

This is the truth, EoX protests otherwise and trying to change the narrative not withstanding.
Rynnik
BlackMoria
This is the truth, EoX protests otherwise and trying to change the narrative not withstanding.
lol

You've certainly bought into some propaganda alright.

You would actually be surprised how diverse EoX's gameplay is. I mean it is obviously an accident we have the best AH in the game right?

One dimension, pvp or nothing. You folks really have us figured out.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Hobson Fiffledown
No settlement should have an expectation of relative peace as a long term status strategy because this is an open world PvP game based on character conflict.

Many settlements out there have had scraps and encounters with Golgotha without having dramatic forum dust ups after every encounter. Every settlement in game has acted and reacted according to their leadership's ability or intentions, and almost every settlement status is exactly where it should be based on leadership's actions. From an outsider's perspective, nothing in the current state of server "war" seems very surprising or unwarranted. Assuming this game succeeds, in the proposed scenario of EBA being eventually watered down and spread to the wind (not how it would happen either, but that's a different discussion), EoX would have more than enough other actors to engage with.

Broken record time - It's a server population issue… Many of the conflict issues can never be addressed unless we get over the population hump. If this "forever war" was one of 4 or 5 proper conflicts going on in game, players wouldn't bat an eye at half of this drama.

I also think everyone is staying pretty well "in character" for most of this server conflict. The idea of a meta conflict for control of future game policy is beyond feh, and I'm glad it's a game only about a dozen people are playing. If everyone just attacked people based on who's play style they liked least for the purpose of wooing devs, this place wouldn't be very fun at all.

Edit - A couple of the major players will maintain they do not play "in character". Well, guess what? That's your character…
This space for rent.
Doc
The stark reality is, EBA can survive without EoX because while EBA does do a lot of PvP, it is not their only focus and are quite happy to do escalations and other less belligerent pursuits.

Not according to the forums. There has been a lot of complaining in the last month about burn out on escalations, from everybody it seems, but that includes EBA. Additionally, most of the non-aggressor PvP groups in non-EoX companies have a stated purpose of protecting players from aggressive PvP'ers. For Cheatle's group, that was their original founding mission. If there is not aggressor group, their stated purpose is pointless.

Conversely, EoX only needs EBA in so much as EoX just needs a worthy opponent to engage in conflict with. But then, EoX also does escalations and crafting as well, so PvP is not their only focus. It just so happens though that they focus a lot on PvP because it is the most engaging form of play (opinion) available in PFO.

As for the other settlements - relative peace for them because EBA is the current dance partner for EoX. If that changes, aggression from EoX will come to them and their peace will end.

More likely, they aren't as much of a challenge to fight at the moment due to numbers differential, and although people like to paint EoX people as a bunch of punk kids, they're actually intelligent adults (mostly) who are just looking for a challenging game to play. I don't think many of them are interested in picking a fight with settlements that have 10% of their numbers.
Caustus
I am sure a ceasefire could be arranged by a neutral third party and reparations discussed. Perhaps the arrival of a well attired merchant mule train with an envoy would encourage open talks with the Golgothians and temporarily reduce aggression in the area.
BlackMoria
Rynnik
BlackMoria
lol

You've certainly bought into some propaganda alright.

You would actually be surprised how diverse EoX's gameplay is. I mean it is obviously an accident we have the best AH in the game right?

One dimension, pvp or nothing. You folks really have us figured out.

Something vexes thee?

You misunderstand, as usual. My statement was that PvP is the chief selling point for Golgotha recruitment and it is how Golgotha 'defines' itself in the community. I never said EoX was one dimension, just that PvP is over emphasized in game and on the forums.

If EBA were to totally quit PvP, we most likely would lose a very small number of people who came to the game chiefly for PvP, because most people joining EBA are more a broadband experience the game offers. If Golgotha were to totally quit PvP, they would lose far more people than EBA would, because most PvPers are for the PvP first, working escalations/gather/crafting are secondary considerations, because this game requires those to be done to do to PvP .

Doc
Honestly, in my opinion, if either group totally quit PvP it would probably kill this game before it gets anywhere.

You hypothetical assumes that a lot of people would carry on doing escalations and crafting in isolation while nothing else happened on the map. That's ridiculous.

Obviously, to me at least, we all need each other for this to work. If a sizeable portion of the population has no interest in participating in a core feature of the game, that's probably an issue for the game that needs to be evaluated.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post