Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Golgotha ... meh

Bringslite
Doc
Let's get Socratic for a moment:

Why would Goblin Works enable the ability to attack people inside settlements during a Feud, if they did not want players to do such a thing?

Goblin Works sometimes designs and implements things that might not be great for the game. Or that might not be great for the game at certain stages of it's development.

There certainly isn't a direct order from GW to do this thing.

However, there are 2 power blocks that are doing this. Sure, it is possible and it is allowed (because some mechanics are not in yet). It is a PLAYER decision to do it. Not a GW mandate.

We could all run amok, attacking all that we see. We don't do that though, do we?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Stilachio Thrax
Doc

Why would Goblin Works enable the ability to attack people inside settlements during a Feud, if they did not want players to do such a thing?

It isn't about whether or not they want you to be able to kill within a settlement, its whether or not it should be this easy for an *enemy* to freely walk into a settlement and kill someone. If you are able to get enough people to fight your way in and through the settlement defenses, have at it (this is what I believe Ryan and GW really intend). But the current setup is a joke, and I do not believe they find this acceptable from a design standpoint- it is a byproduct of partially implemented systems.
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Tigari
People keep talking about not being able to walk past a settlements defense, but I have to ask; What defense are you talking about? Thornguards are not a settlements defense. They are there to uphold THEIR laws. Not the settlements. Right now a settlements only defense is the players.
Nihimon
Doc

I'm not suggesting this is the answer, but one possible answer is that it was an unintended side-effect of another change.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Decius
Doc
Do you find killing characters sitting in front of the bank rewarding enough?

Do you find baiting people on the forum rewarding enough?
Lol. I'll take that as "I refuse to answer because taking one position makes me look dumb and taking the other position makes me look inconsistent".
Bringslite
Tigari
People keep talking about not being able to walk past a settlements defense, but I have to ask; What defense are you talking about? Thornguards are not a settlements defense. They are there to uphold THEIR laws. Not the settlements. Right now a settlements only defense is the players.

Ryan Dancey
We intend that you be able to use various Settlement facilities in a way that is safe. The current situation where you remain embodied in the world while you use them is not the final intended design.

We intend that you have some means to enforce security in territory you control. Currently you don't have that, but you also don't have any cost for Thornguard either.

If we made the Thornguard kill feud targets on sight then the response to being feuded will be to stay inside the security perimeter of the Thornguard until the feud ends, thus making feuds much less valuable. If we let you walk into a Settlement without Thornguard interference until you became flagged the standard behavior would be to assemble close enough to a war target to Alpha Strike them, then run away. That's not noticeably different than the current situation except the killers maybe die one less time.

When Holding & Outpost Warfare is turned on (very, very soon) suddenly you will have real territorial control battles and you will face real risks. If you don't defend your Holdings, you'll lose them. If you lose them, your opponent may get some of your stuff. If you can't pay your weekly upkeep your training options will be reduced. Killing random people in Settlements "for the lulz" shouldn't happen much since it's pointless and real, meaningful PvP can be had elsewhere.

In some ways it looks like everyone is right (about what GW is shooting for) about some things, as of Ryan's last meaty comment on it.

Again, does that make the game better for everyone?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Doc
Lol. I'll take that as "I refuse to answer because taking one position makes me look dumb and taking the other position makes me look inconsistent".

You're free to think whatever you like Decius.

But, either way, like I said my opinion doesn't matter. I'm not a member of Golgotha, I don't have a position of leadership in EoX, not sure I'm an actual member of EoX really, I just hang with them a lot because they're good people and good players.

And I personally stopped attacking people inside settlements a while back. I'm pretty sure I was one of the first players to do it in a significant capacity in EE, definitely before the infamous Hammerfall incident. I stopped due to player pressure and realization that it was not good for new players.

But no, I won't support more meta-rules by settlement owners that contradict what Goblin Works is implementing.
Doc
Double post.
Ryan Dancey
If I had my druthers, I'd druther you didn't fight in Settlements.

I'd really like it if you didn't kill characters standing outside facilities who are likely unable to see that they're under threat.

But rather than writing rules that will be exploited and abused, and trying to adjudicate the avalanche of customer support email I'd get if we wrote those rules claiming all manner of violations of those rules, I'm willing to accept some further time where those decisions are voluntary and community-based and continue to let the team work on and build the game mechanics which should reduce those things to a minimum anyway.
Doc
Thank you for chiming in Ryan.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post