Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

New Player Experience - Need more resources in newbie area.

Tink says Stab
New rule, to join Golgotha you have to buy Tink a kebab from the local Indian place.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Tink says Stab
New rule, to join Golgotha you have to buy Tink a kebab from the local Indian place.

I can do that… WINNING!
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Back to the depleted resources, that is working as intended.

Options to Fix the problem:

1. Explore and travel further
2. Be patient and wait for new node to spawn
3. Away from Talon Guards, find a Harvestor and kill him (PvP)
4. Buy it on the AH
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Doc
They are brand spanking new players, who probably have no coin and don't understand much of how the game works, so:

1. Explore and travel further
- This is ultimately what they do, but it's a pain in the butt and frustrating because they don't know what the problem is and if going out further will help. For all they know, they can't access any forester nodes, they often think they need a skill or something.

2. Be patient and wait for new node to spawn
- Same as #1

3. Away from Talon Guards, find a Harvestor and kill him (PvP)
Should not be any PvP at newbie starter area.

4. Buy it on the AH
They have no coin, and probably have no idea where the auction house is, much less how to use it. And who knows if it will have the necessary materials to complete the quest since it is up to players to stock auction houses.

——
I spend much of my in-game time in the Help channel, and often go to the Thornkeep starter areas to help particularly frustrated new players (there are many) so I am familiar with the common shortcomings and pain points.

This whole new player experience is better, but still has a ways to go. This needs to be streamlined, with as few potential blockers and pain points as possible. All but the most patient of people are going to just log out and uninstall if these types of things aren't addressed. I know, I've seen them just curse in local and go *poof* a minute later.
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
@ Doc,

Then I wouid agree with Decius. The resource that is required shoukd not be a resource that is found or needed outside of the tutorial. The new player can only harvest what is needed, no excess. The nodes in the tutorial area are infinite nodes (never deplete).

Decius
A tech solution might include a new type of node found only around Thornkeep (and Fort Inevitable and Rivereatch) that drops a bunch of different items that can be used to make low-durability -1 (zero keyword) versions of each weapon type, armor type, and introductory implements.

Anybody foresee an economic problem if 0xp characters can make gear unsuitable for experienced characters around the starter settlements? Showing everyone how the gathering-refining-crafting pipeline goes might cause them to see and participate, rather than seeing the significant (to a new player) XP costs to make a mace singlehandedly and not participate at all.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post