Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Crowdforging PvP Feuds, Company hoping, and respawn issues.

Brighthaven Leader
Hello all,

Charlie had the idea of everyone just spawning several hexes away from a PvP fight, I wanted to expand on that, as well as added a few other suggestions for discussion.

If every claimable hex has a shrine added. Anyone that claims that hex, their settlement/company can respawn there in the hex they hold, while 3rd Parties/Enemies spawn further away. 2-3 Hexes away would be decent without totally destroy the momentum of a single attack.

Then to address company hopping, for every person you add afterwards increases the % of influence that you lose after the feud is over. It would be on an ever increasing scale, 1-2 people, 3-7 people, 8-16 people, and then 17+, which each person added removing more and more influence.

Finally, once you leave and join a company, you can not do so for another 24 hours.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Just Dak
I don't think I had that idea, but at first blush I don't strongly disagree with it. I want to give it a little thought and hear back from others that have been playing the game over the past months.

What about adding a minimum time to feuds instead of allowing a toggle? Did we get enough support in other threads (baggage excluded) to include it in the improvement list?
Give me a reasonable despot any day. Someone that constantly reminds everyone that they are virtuous and honorable can not be trusted to be either. If you are good we will know by your deeds, if you are reasonable we will know by our deals.
Decius
Make the last point "If you are accepted into a primary company, you cannot apply to another primary company within the same server day". Mostly just pinning down details strongly enough to be programmed.
Smitty
Still think you should be able to change company whenever you want. I think you need this flexibility to be able to work at holdings and outpost. Also being able to change companies is an agency thing. I don’t like the idea of the game saying what I can do for a day.
Still have concerns about company hoping which is why I brought up the idea that you have to be in a settlement hex in order to change companies. Putting a restriction that you have to run to town to drop or add addresses both our concerns about hopping. Your solution seems to only favor your viewpoint.

Think cost of feuds is something for yall to discuss , have said it over and over I don’t care about the cost.. I don’t want the game system to tell me what feud I can do when I log in. If a system is in place that says i cant join something for a day that is bad. If it says run hear to join a company that is fair.

The spawning 2 hexes away seems like a good place to start, for all players( not sure why you felt defenders should be closer).
Seraph
I think these are pretty great ideas. A lot of PvP right now
(1) favors the attacker instead of the defender, which is kind of against conventional sense and
(2) comes down to attrition and numbers because when someone dies they're only out of the fight for 30 seconds

3 Hexes seems a reasonable distance, it's about 5 minutes of running to get back to the fight. This rewards kills more than putting one ding in someone's gear by actually making a kill affect the immediate fight. The trick is to get the balance right, you don't want it to be impossible to have offensive success but you'd like a smaller number of defenders to be able to hold something against a larger attacking force.

Plus the company hopping fix seems just right. Make them pay extra influence for it, just like if they had been bigger when declaring the feud, or maybe more as an opportunity cost for switching during a feud.
Seraph
Cleric of Sarenrae
Brighthaven
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Before delving into making changes to the current, admittedly ill conceived or broken, PvP mechanics I think it is important to look at PvP in its entirety as an envisioned completed aspect of the game.

Individual Level PvP
Company Level PvP
Faction Level PvP
Settlement Level PvP

Related Systems:

Threading / Husk Looting
Caravans / Mules
SADs
Holdings & Outposts Raiding
Zone Based PvP
Risk vs Reward
Class / Features Balancing

As you can see, this is a very complex aspect of the game, and to crowdforge it piece meal and potentially out of sequence has led to many of the negative issues the game has experienced.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
vyal
IMHO, if you want PvP death to be meaningful, remove all of the current PvP death penalty and replace it with the following:

• You may not return to the hex you died in, for one hour. (or 2 hours, or 4 hours, or 24 hours, whatever seems hardcore enough)
  • You will respawn at the nearest shrine outside the hex you died in, so you may continuing playing outside that hex.

Voila. Meaningful PvP death. For extra hardcore, make it account-wide, not character-specific. smile
Seraph
Vyal, there are some problems with that approach. First, it has a huge negative impact on PvE. Dying in escalations happens, no sense making someone stop playing for an hour or getting separated from the group for an hour because of it. Second, that actually makes it harder to defend a holding with a smaller force and making it even more a case of whoever has more people wins.

Plus, it makes looting your own husk impossible.
Seraph
Cleric of Sarenrae
Brighthaven
vyal
Seraph
Vyal, there are some problems with that approach. First, it has a huge negative impact on PvE. Dying in escalations happens, no sense making someone stop playing for an hour or getting separated from the group for an hour because of it. Second, that actually makes it harder to defend a holding with a smaller force and making it even more a case of whoever has more people wins.

Plus, it makes looting your own husk impossible.
Yep, my suggestion was for PvP only, and to replace the existing death penalty entirely, for PvP death.
Quijenoth Starkiller
vyal
IMHO, if you want PvP death to be meaningful, remove all of the current PvP death penalty and replace it with the following:

• You may not return to the hex you died in, for one hour. (or 2 hours, or 4 hours, or 24 hours, whatever seems hardcore enough)
  • You will respawn at the nearest shrine outside the hex you died in, so you may continuing playing outside that hex.

Voila. Meaningful PvP death. For extra hardcore, make it account-wide, not character-specific. smile

Yeah watch all the ganked gatherers whine and bitch that they cannot reclaim their corpse/mule etc because they cant get back to it in time.
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post