Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Open letter to GW

You are a Troll
A sad hello,

My gaming group and I have been a part of PFO since the KS. We are a small part of a small settlement. We all were really looking forward to testing our mettle against the new Nhur Athemon escalations on the few towers the settlement we were a part of counted as part of our territory. Such anticipation of the fun we would have as we, together, destroyed the towers, fought new creatures, and found new treasures to help build a settlement in our own vision that we had called home for 6 months. Well, I think you can guess what happened - fire and ruin. We got home from work, logged on together, got all psyched up, and then went out to find that all of our towers had already been destroyed, all of the green crystals destroyed, all the recipes taken. We were stunned. Yes, PvP is a part of the game that we have learned to accept, and even relish as the added danger and *aliveness* of this co-created River Kingdoms. We even understood that Settlement warfare would, eventually, grow beyond War of Towers and we thought about how we might position ourselves and the new Settlement we would create to best ally with others close to us - such promise and interest and buy-in from our whole group!

Not any more.

Sadly, after a weekend of contemplation and discussion, we have decided that this game is not for us. We loved playing together, but the *raping* that we felt like we took at the hands of another settlement/group made us think about how this would iterate into ever increasing disappointment at the hands of what many of us felt (rightly or wrongly) were young college players with no interest in making the game anything other than a place where they could delight in stomping on other people, and with almost infinite time at their disposal to do so.

I do not think this was your vision for this first Server Wide event. However, I also do not think you anticipated the mindset of one of the larger groups and how they might ruin it for the rest of us.

We really love Pathfinder RPG. We really wanted to love PFO. But, as some said way back when there was strife during the first Land-Rush - the hard-core MMOers will come and make the game what they want of it, finding and exploiting every loophole, and the River Kingdoms will be theirs. We will mourn its loss (to us) as we go back to our dice and books and fun.

I'd like to say thanks at this point, for the fun we had and anticipated having, but we really don't feel very thankful for what happened. Maybe this is Ryan's grand vision? If so, quite honestly, good riddance.
Rynnik
You are a Troll
However, I also do not think you anticipated the mindset of one of the larger groups and how they might ruin it for the rest of us.
I'm sorry the EBA did this to you and that you have lost your taste for PFO over it. Hopefully you are leaving with some good memories as well as you say.

I really hope you end up finding something else that you enjoy on the MMORPG market even though I personally doubt you will be successful.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Jakaal
+1
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Can it truly be called an "Open Letter" when written by an author hiding behind a single use, made up identify?
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Tink says Stab
I'm going to assume that this is legitimate, and not posted by a proxy EoX account as some attempt at propaganda.

If it isn't legitimate, and GW can match IP logs, I would appreciate the results of those matches.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Duffy Swiftshadow
While I sympathize with some of your points one thing that really needs to be reiterated: this is not a finished and fully realized product. The current state is only the faintest reflection of the direction the game is and will continue to move towards. Unfortunately this means the game will be rough, there will be incidents that don't line up with expectations, and there will be cases where the game just isn't for some players (and that's okay). All the things in this sort of game are supposed to be inherently fleeting, missing an event shouldn't be a big deal (and I hope it's not when all is said and done), but I understand that might not be your idea of fun. I hope that most of the things that currently bother you (and many of us) get ironed out and refined to make the game an overall more palatable experience, regardless of the player conflicts, but it's possible they will never be close enough to your preferences (this is true of any game). I hope perhaps you and your friends will find yourselves drawn back into the game at some point in the future, but if not I wish you the best of luck.
Doc
the *raping* that we felt like we took at the hands of another settlement/group made us think about how this would iterate into ever increasing disappointment at the hands of what many of us felt (rightly or wrongly) were young college players with no interest in making the game anything other than a place where they could delight in stomping on other people, and with almost infinite time at their disposal to do so.

It may be common to mentally project a young age and lack of maturity on players in games, whom you dislike, but I'm pretty sure most of the people playing PFO right now are minimum late 20's early 30's, based on Ryan Dancey's surveys. At least the median income reported is suggesting not college students.

Just about everybody I know by name in PFO that I converse with often are that age bracket, and have kids and such. I guess some people get surprised when adults of a certain age desire to be competitive in computer games, rather than seeking casual play. Personally, I'm coming up on 34 myself.
Doc
Not a single use account: https://goblinworks.com/forum/users/You%20are%20a%20Troll/posts/
xaosist
Rynnik
I'm sorry the EBA did this to you and that you have lost your taste for PFO over it.

There's more than one troll in this thread.
Lee Hammock
We're probably going to making a more official announcement about this in the near future, but we are going to be continuing to spawn up a limited number of Nhur Athemon escalations for the rest of the monnth. Six more just started up an hour or so ago.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post