Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Open letter to GW

Tink says Stab
HOWEVER alignment is a fluffy roleplay thing with a bit of an opportunity to use it as an excuse to do certian things or bash your enemies at the moment it has no mechanical function in game and may never.

Amen!
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Just Dak
Edam
If you are bringing alignment into it.

1) EOX promotes as lawful vs EBA who are not - so if agreements (actual or implied) had been broken it is EOX acting out of character.
2) EBA is mainly Good (major exception TSV who are TN) vs EOX who are clearly not - so if moral obligations are broken it is EBA are acting out of character.

HOWEVER alignment is a fluffy roleplay thing with a bit of an opportunity to use it as an excuse to do certian things or bash your enemies at the moment it has no mechanical function in game and may never.

Alignment conversations carry more weight (like you said) when they are mechanically supported.

Right now it just leads to a "We are more of an unmeasured thing than you are, so Meh"
Give me a reasonable despot any day. Someone that constantly reminds everyone that they are virtuous and honorable can not be trusted to be either. If you are good we will know by your deeds, if you are reasonable we will know by our deals.
Just Dak
Decius
CharlieG
Rolls eyes dramatically.

If I distrust anyone, it is the person that constantly claims virtuous intentions. If you are an angel we will know by your wings.

I am not concerned about an argument about who is champion of goodness. I am only pointing out a single element: That being surprised when EBA is perceived to act out of character is silly.

Mission Accomplished.
If your expectations cause you to be surprised by the world, it is the height of insane hubris to blame the world rather than adjust your expectations.
Are you, or the EBA, the world? I am not surprised by the world, I am surprised by the reaction of a group of peoples in that world. An exceptionally small sample of the world, and a more sizable sample of the server (but not at all a whole).

I also am blaming no one of anything. I pointed out one simple little thing that I found funny. I maintain that it is silly. I see no hubris there, and I see nothing to adjust my expectations to.

Unless you are suggesting I lower my expectations of the EBA. In that case I suppose you could be right, but I hold out hope. The server could use virtuous players after all, and I am not it.
Give me a reasonable despot any day. Someone that constantly reminds everyone that they are virtuous and honorable can not be trusted to be either. If you are good we will know by your deeds, if you are reasonable we will know by our deals.
Brighthaven Leader
I think the bottom line is that its easy to be evil, or essentially do mostly what you want. Its much harder to be good, which is also a reflection of our own world. When you have less restrictions and certain things just don't even matter then you can do what ever you want, on the other hand when you have to look at every situation from a moral stand point it changes dramatically.

This is why there aren't really alignments in places like EvE or DF, only concepts of things that fall into two categories, "are you being a dick? or are you not being dick?" It is also a reason why in the real world our leaders across the board tend to have less than stellar morals, or at least bend them, its hard to continue to be good when people are starving around you and you have to make a very hard choice.

In the end though, no matter how it shakes out, some view you as good, and some view you as bad. The shades of gray in our world are a fantastical array of dancing lights across both the real world and the gaming one.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Just Dak
Cheatle for TEO
I think the bottom line is that its easy to be evil, or essentially do mostly what you want. Its much harder to be good, which is also a reflection of our own world. When you have less restrictions and certain things just don't even matter then you can do what ever you want, on the other hand when you have to look at every situation from a moral stand point it changes dramatically.

This is why there aren't really alignments in places like EvE or DF, only concepts of things that fall into two categories, "are you being a dick? or are you not being dick?" It is also a reason why in the real world our leaders across the board tend to have less than stellar morals, or at least bend them, its hard to continue to be good when people are starving around you and you have to make a very hard choice.

In the end though, no matter how it shakes out, some view you as good, and some view you as bad. The shades of gray in our world are a fantastical array of dancing lights across both the real world and the gaming one.

I disagree that evil is easy, or at least evil as a large organization. With the player base being what it is, everyone expects the openly evil organization to do evil things (rightly) and are constantly on edge with them if not at war (which I don't blame them for, because you know that will be pointed out if I don't clarify)

Most of the server is good to neutral. All you have to do to play good is to be perceived as maintaining good, or correct when you are not.

Evil has to do some extra convincing for deals to happen, or for neutrality to be ensured for a duration. As they should be. Working as intended.
Brighthaven Leader
I was coming from a morality standpoint, not the exact condition in this server.

In this server we have two Evil settlements, but act completely differently with different goals. There are some mitigation effects in that a lot of dealings can happen by proxy neutral groups, or straight up by people who don't care about alignment and just make deals with who ever.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
The Eternal Balance
EoX = evil

EBA = good

I would Honestly take this a step further. From what I have seen in game:

EoX = mean hearted players seeking to *Win* at any cost

EBA = good hearted players seeking to help the Game at any cost
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Decius
Charlie George
Decius
CharlieG
Rolls eyes dramatically.

If I distrust anyone, it is the person that constantly claims virtuous intentions. If you are an angel we will know by your wings.

I am not concerned about an argument about who is champion of goodness. I am only pointing out a single element: That being surprised when EBA is perceived to act out of character is silly.

Mission Accomplished.
If your expectations cause you to be surprised by the world, it is the height of insane hubris to blame the world rather than adjust your expectations.
Are you, or the EBA, the world? I am not surprised by the world, I am surprised by the reaction of a group of peoples in that world. An exceptionally small sample of the world, and a more sizable sample of the server (but not at all a whole).

I also am blaming no one of anything. I pointed out one simple little thing that I found funny. I maintain that it is silly. I see no hubris there, and I see nothing to adjust my expectations to.

Unless you are suggesting I lower my expectations of the EBA. In that case I suppose you could be right, but I hold out hope. The server could use virtuous players after all, and I am not it.
In this context, "The world" is the thing that your observations are of.
Just Dak
Cheatle for TEO
I was coming from a morality standpoint, not the exact condition in this server.

In this server we have two Evil settlements, but act completely differently with different goals. There are some mitigation effects in that a lot of dealings can happen by proxy neutral groups, or straight up by people who don't care about alignment and just make deals with who ever.

I guess I can agree that it is easier to question if you can take a thing (or are barred from taking a thing) than it is to question if you should (morally) take a thing. It's a pretty intuitive conclusion to make.

I was weighing hard or easy in terms of everything, including social consequence.
Bringslite
What a waste of time.

^^Has this ever been posted in this community before?^^

I have searched and I have asked questions, and then I have asked real pointed questions that are direct.

This is largely spin, which I suppose should be expected. In fact it is spin that is really only important to EoX and EBA. Please get a room. The spots of the original spawns were no longer the property of anyone except Nhur Aethemon. That is a technical fact. Emotional ownership notwithstanding that real fact, I can still see that may bother some that fought so long and hard to keep those towers before this event.

The Free Highlanders (collectively) probably took down almost as many event escalations as they had towers before the event. No free Highlander can honestly testify that they saw any other group take down an event escalation, that was a tower which they previously held, besides those that were admitted to in this thread.
*I posted in a different thread that I am pretty confident that we went after all of the towers that we had enthusiasm for each night, until they were gone.
*Case closed.
*ONLY TO BE REOPENED AT THE DISCRETION OF ALL OR ANY MEMBER OF THE FREE HIGHLANDERS.

Any member of the Free Highlanders should feel free to contest these statements as they like. I did ask around but not every single member. Anyone else…. you go ahead and be outraged for us… but you don't represent us.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post