Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Open letter – 24/7 availability, game balance and PvP

Elsworth Sugarfoot
A perfect kill on a 7500 character will be around 1500. If you just contribute but don't get the kill hit you'll lose around 700. a common occurrence is a chase scenario where the person drops there flag and then you red again this usually ends up around 2k. It's certainly possible to lose more if the chase goes on longer. rep regen is ~700 per day.

So you can kill 1 person every 2 days if you want to remain in a neutral state (not regaining rep, not losing it).

Just putting those numbers out there for the discussion.
Elsworth Sugarfoot
I will say that I think settlement leaders are under too much pressure to be available. These are essential pieces to our community and burnout should be avoided.

I have 1 suggestion which is to allow them to give permissions for certain settlement leader actions to other players.

Things such as:
setting the pvp window
setting the training level
accepting companies

If these could be done by trusted officers there would be a little less pressure for them to play every day. During the war of towers phy had to log on every day before downtime to adjust the pvp window (if he wanted). Most of the time we just left it static, but there were times when something occurred during our nightcrawlers playtime and I wanted it moved and he wasn't available. Now they will have to log on every monday to set the training. It seems like this burden could be shared.
Nihimon
Elsworth Sugarfoot
A perfect kill on a 7500 character will be around 1500. If you just contribute but don't get the kill hit you'll lose around 700. a common occurrence is a chase scenario where the person drops there flag and then you red again this usually ends up around 2k.

My bad. I read "1 kill" as "1 instance of losing Reputation".
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Rynnik
Nihimon
Elsworth Sugarfoot
A perfect kill on a 7500 character will be around 1500. If you just contribute but don't get the kill hit you'll lose around 700. a common occurrence is a chase scenario where the person drops there flag and then you red again this usually ends up around 2k.

My bad. I read "1 kill" as "1 instance of losing Reputation".
Thinking and chatting about this more I am starting to wonder if there might not be some sort of hex change rep bug. I KNOW I have lost roughly double that killing one person.

Might try and do some testing on that (test server - can't afford to squander real rep).
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Nihimon
I think it's about 700 for the second hit, and another 700 when they die.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Tink says Stab
There are a few hex reputation bugs. For example, if you hit someone that you are feuded with as they cross a hex boundary, they will sometimes be considered white for about 5 seconds, so you will lose reputation when they die.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Rynnik
I'm pretty dumb. Didn't actually consider that current rep might be hitting a lot harder than designed due to bugs. Would be really nice to get those ironed out if we can pinpoint it.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Grim Onyxheart
Thod, I love what you're doing with the Emerald Lodge and what it offers to players in PFO, and how you've managed to diplomatically handle most of these situations very well and make a name for yourself as a friendly, impartial party.

However, talking about how because you were emotionally tied to something, you felt ownership is not a valid claim. If you had worked out an agreement with various groups likely to attack your towers and asked them to join in agreement to not take them, then you would have a method of recourse with those player groups you agreed with.

I think what you're taking issue with is that Dancey didn't make his point very diplomatically, which hell, he has done before and nobody is perfect. For a vast majority of things he does I wholeheartedly agree and support him and his decisions with the game, but from time to time I'm linked a quote like the one you had in the OP that shows that Ryan doesn't know how to soften the blow very well. I guess that's why most CEOs of very public companies seem like they're on some super-friendly drug, and almost over empathize with everyone they talk to, especially customers.

In the purest sense, the tower became an escalation in a hex, a very valuable one at that, and unless you had some kind of agreement to keep the foxes out of the hen-house, you were going to see those hexes empty when you returned. I'm sorry if it sounds harsh and that I'm blaming you for dropping your diplomatic guard over a resource many players are competing over furiously (even today!), but I am. If you did have agreements that were broken and I'm misinformed, then I apologize.

As far as the 24/7 PvP thing? Yes I agree it's far too much at the moment. We need loyal town guards to give us semi-safe areas in our own cities. The progression of features being implemented has been very smart, but the overexposure to PvP is indeed driving away some players, and that's bad for the game overall. Good fences make good neighbors. #GoodfencesEE11
~Part of the Empire of Xeilias, settlement of Golgotha, company of House Winterfield~
============= "Through Strength of Arms, We bring Peace." ============
—————————————————- www.xeilias.com ————————————————
Decius
Elsworth Sugarfoot
I will say that I think settlement leaders are under too much pressure to be available. These are essential pieces to our community and burnout should be avoided.

I have 1 suggestion which is to allow them to give permissions for certain settlement leader actions to other players.

Things such as:
setting the pvp window
setting the training level
accepting companies

If these could be done by trusted officers there would be a little less pressure for them to play every day. During the war of towers phy had to log on every day before downtime to adjust the pvp window (if he wanted). Most of the time we just left it static, but there were times when something occurred during our nightcrawlers playtime and I wanted it moved and he wasn't available. Now they will have to log on every monday to set the training. It seems like this burden could be shared.
They can be. Anyone with the Leader rank in the Founding Conpany can do all of those things.

You can't delegate Leader duties to untrusted officers, and trust can be a hard thing to have.
Midnight
The problem with leader status is the game currently makes it impossible to demote a company leader. You have to trust them enough that you trust they'll demote themselves if you ask them to.

So, if I get a spy into the highest reaches of a settlement owning company, not only can I do mischief with it, but the original leaders CAN NEVER STOP MY MISCHIEF, EVER AGAIN. If that company has 30 holdings and 60 outposts and thousands of unused influence, it is mine to do with as I please, not in just one night of chaos before they catch on, but for as long as the game exists.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post