Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Is there any point to Companies?

HowardWdW
With the new system of reward and penalty being proposed based on settlement level buildings and the lack of any mechanism that allows a company to function independently of a settlement I ask the topic question.

It would make life much less complicated in terms of game play if companies were simply eliminated, or basically if each settlement was its own company.

Remove the influence cap.

Banking would be hugely simplified which would vastly decrease the frustration in crafting.

People can party up with whomever they like anyway, so there is no impact on mechanics there.

Perhaps factions will eventually add some of the "rivalry" that I think the originally envisaged company system was supposed to have.

Without some substantial changes in thinking companies are of no value as a stand alone entity.
Doc
There is little intrinsic value in making guilds or clans in most games, or features unlocked, and yet people still make them. I think one thing is the sense of identity.
Takasi
Simplification and calls for avoiding complication is stepping towards New Game Experience territory.

Companies have the option of moving from settlement to settlement, the existing system of influence has been earned based on company sizes, worker effort is based on company participation, and company vault security is already firmly established.

If anything needs to change I would rather see a more gradual emphasis on company identity. Trashing existing systems haphazardly is a sign of poor design foresight.
Memory-High Priest of Desna
True Doc, and I think he's right in that the in-game mechanical value of having companies is precisely the same as if each settlement created a company with the same name as the settlement and had everybody join it, only to take care of various divisions of labor internally or out of game. The only reason to have companies now to manipulate influence caps and split up holdings between various entities so as to shorten PVP windows. It's a giant exercise in gaming the system.

Basically, unless you completely re-work influence caps and PVP window duration in order to re-balance on a per-settlement basis, this would cause more problems than it solves.

I agree that the above should be done though.
Adventure Time with the High Priest of Desna, begins Tuesday 08/18 at 6:00pm EST (10:00 server time) at the Thornkeep Auction house. All new players welcome!

Official titles and Nicknames:
Spherewalker of Indor-Mardil, High Priest of Desna, Dreaden-appointed Forum Troll Extraordinaire, The Southern Speedster, Slinger of Stars, Newbie-Bear, Gutter of Golgothans, King of Kiters, Johnny Ustalavian-Seed, and Peaches.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Even as a logistics unit a company is useful, mostly due to their separate vaults and the ability to hop between settlements if desired. I would like to see certain functions removed from companies (declaring most pvp stuff) but more perks for being in a company. (Can use influence for company boosts instead of Holding and PvP or something like that)
Doc
True Doc, and I think he's right in that the in-game mechanical value of having companies is precisely the same as if each settlement created a company with the same name as the settlement and had everybody join it, only to take care of various divisions of labor internally or out of game. The only reason to have companies now to manipulate influence caps and split up holdings between various entities so as to shorten PVP windows. It's a giant exercise in gaming the system.

That's probably an artifact of the aristocratic and quasi-permanent manner in which settlement control was dolled out. If companies could vie for control of a settlement, I think company identity would matter more.

That being said, I've never identified with any of the settlements in the game, nor did AGC when we actually had lots of members. Perhaps we were just outliers.
Doc
That's probably an artifact of the aristocratic and quasi-permanent manner in which settlement control was dolled out. If companies could vie for control of a settlement, I think company identity would matter more.

That being said, I've never identified with any of the settlements in the game, nor did AGC when we actually had lots of members. Perhaps we were just outliers.

I wouldn't say you're that far left of the bell. most people that identify with a settlement do so on an individual level, otherwise they're probably in the same boat as you in that they don't necessarily care. I didn't care about freevale because there was thing there to care about (RIP Gpunk), but Brighthaven brought me and gave me the means to accomplish everything i personally wanted to accomplish. i feel that connection there because i feel like i really am working with the settlement to accomplish something. I suppose that's the feeling that company units should have with regards to their settlements, but its not panning out that way.
Adventure Time with the High Priest of Desna, begins Tuesday 08/18 at 6:00pm EST (10:00 server time) at the Thornkeep Auction house. All new players welcome!

Spherewalker of Indor-Mardil, High Priest of Desna, Dreaden-appointed Forum Troll Extraordinaire, The Southern Speedster, Slinger of Stars, Newbie-Bear, Gutter of Golgothans, King of Kiters, Johnny Ustalavian-Seed, and Peaches.
Cambion
Companies are very valuable , as they can primarily keep a lot of settlements Honest and have control over their player base whereas settlements could hold players to ransom (and i guess some already do).
If anything more emphasis should be put on companies and the resources they provide into settlements. They also provide a lot of Game play opportunities. The comments regarding Banking and simplification will just lead to a lack of security and increase risk not a good idea at all.

Factions when introduced companies will be able to act independently of settlements. Once Settlements have dedication bonuses companies can shop around as a group not individuals which again provides options.

Settlements need to be accountable , this is a pretty poor idea as this game needs to promote , small / medium and large group opportunities. So lets not take away lets look for positive ways to develop the world, not ones that suit a Settlement who has few companies.

Everyone has been privy to the game mechanics that GW are developing I guess that those who maybe did not understand or read the game mechanics may want them changed to suit , that is not a reason for change though.

This game has years of Development in it lets look for ways to add to the game not detract from it.
Jokken
If you're in charge of a collectivist dictatorship, I could see how you may view companies as redundant, useless and perhaps a thorn in your side. If you live in a tribal meritocracy, companies are the vital life blood as the cornerstone of a free society. When individualism and power lie in the hands of companies, settlements are appreciative of company efforts and settlement leaders remain pleasant.

TL/DR We live in a different power structure than you do and we like ours better. That way of life depends on strong companies.
Go West for freedom and adventure! Join the free soil settlers of High Road. Be a positive and constructive force for freedom in the Bulwark Hills. www.coalroad.com/hrc
@Jokken

The more we can get that point across, the closer we'll be to getting GW to incentivise that way of governance. I'm not enough of a think tank on my own to come up with a way to implement something like that, but it would be an overall better game if your way were the way that worked best within the existing mechanics and with the population numbers we have so far.

As it is, though, a collectivist dictatorship stands to be the most effective and successful in the long and short term, so we are where we are.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post