Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Is there any point to Companies?

Jokken
@Memory

The Highroad Covenant is a consensual collection of tribal identities banded together through brotherhood in the common cause of constructive game play. Our companies move about within out settlement network as they see fit. They operate independently and keep their own resources only giving them willingly as settlements ask for them. Our companies also profit from free trade amongst each other. We're not a collectivist dictatorship in the west and it seems we're doing just fine.
Go West for freedom and adventure! Join the free soil settlers of High Road. Be a positive and constructive force for freedom in the Bulwark Hills. www.coalroad.com/hrc
Memory-High Priest of Desna
oh, i didn't say you weren't doing fine. far from it. you've existed this long with an even lower population density per capita, and you've never seemingly had a problem doing so. There's nothing specifically wrong with that way of government. I was speaking from the perspective of a pure min-maxer (i'm not one, but i know where they come from, because there are a lot of them over here in blobville). Min-maxers usually choose a collectivist dictatorship because it's the most numerically successful government given what we have so far. I'm not arguing that it's better, just that it = more money and more recruitment. When you tie in the "enjoyment" factor of the game the equation changes unpredictably. That's why i said what i said. I really do wish GW would incentivise the style of government you described and make it more attractive to the lowest common denominator, so that the rest of us could enjoy that style of government without giving up any our precious bloated fatcat wealth.
Adventure Time with the High Priest of Desna, begins Tuesday 08/18 at 6:00pm EST (10:00 server time) at the Thornkeep Auction house. All new players welcome!

Official titles and Nicknames:
Spherewalker of Indor-Mardil, High Priest of Desna, Dreaden-appointed Forum Troll Extraordinaire, The Southern Speedster, Slinger of Stars, Newbie-Bear, Gutter of Golgothans, King of Kiters, Johnny Ustalavian-Seed, and Peaches.
Dreaden
Settlements provide services to the common player like me and companies have been nothing but annoying.
Ryan Dancey
Companies are the mechanism by which Settlements undergo fission and fusion.
Bringslite
Eventually, when things stabilize, I think we will see companies gravitate toward how (I thought) they were envisioned. Many will be specialized. The settlement will be a "hub" around which companies go about their business, not necessarily completely fluid and as cooperative as "one huge company" like they are in many places now.

As it is right now, a large part of new people are asking about "settlements" to join, rather than "companies" to join.

The crappy influence gain (not fixed yet?) for most types of "crafting" does not help companies be the (sometimes) "specialized" units that they were imagined they would be. If they are a big mix of gatherers to crafters to PVP artists to settlement leaders, they don't really stand out. They just look like little mini settlements.

How about some dedication bonuses for specialized companies and some more uses for Influence?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Edam
It seems to vary depending where you are.

Keepers Pass started out with quite a few independent companies often based on existing friends or timezones and people had a sense of attachment to those companies.

The holding system killed those and KP restructured to maximize influence and now there is not sense of allegiance at all to any of the arbitrary companies people were placed in. Nor is there any particular allegiance to EBA. The allegiance that exists is at a settlement level both to Keepers Pass itself and to those allied settlements (in EBA and others) where they have made friends.
HowardWdW
Companies would be more useful if there was a way for them to exist independent of the settlement system. Which is why I proposed having "support level" for feats set at the company level (and later at either company or settlement level) in another thread. It also promotes a wider variety of play styles. And, following up on Bringslite's point, Crafting as a company level activity would be possible if they fixed the Influence system so that Crafters gained Influence in a reasonable way also.
Yrme
HowardWdW
And, following up on Bringslite's point, Crafting as a company level activity would be possible if they fixed the Influence system so that Crafters gained Influence in a reasonable way also.

I have to ask: if a company is pure crafters (not a mix of crafters and adventurers, or characters mixed as crafters/gatherers/adventurers), how much Influence do they need? Of course, the min-max answer is: they need as much as everyone else, so they can have as many holdings as the next company and contribute that way. I think crafters already contribute hugely to any settlement they belong to.

If the game is supposed to be medieval/fantasy, holdings should be held by adventurers that can actually take and defend territory. Lands held by absentee non-combatant landlords will be ripe for quiet cattle-raiding. I think there's even an argument for PvE threats to holdings and outposts so that players have to be active with their holdings, not just landlords parked in a distant settlement.
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
Bringslite
Yrme
HowardWdW
And, following up on Bringslite's point, Crafting as a company level activity would be possible if they fixed the Influence system so that Crafters gained Influence in a reasonable way also.

I have to ask: if a company is pure crafters (not a mix of crafters and adventurers, or characters mixed as crafters/gatherers/adventurers), how much Influence do they need? Of course, the min-max answer is: they need as much as everyone else, so they can have as many holdings as the next company and contribute that way. I think crafters already contribute hugely to any settlement they belong to.

If the game is supposed to be medieval/fantasy, holdings should be held by adventurers that can actually take and defend territory. Lands held by absentee non-combatant landlords will be ripe for quiet cattle-raiding. I think there's even an argument for PvE threats to holdings and outposts so that players have to be active with their holdings, not just landlords parked in a distant settlement.

The thing is: things have changed.
1. The entire settlement can jump into a feud that threatens one of it's companies holdings.
2. There seems to be a softening toward allowing companies to exist "outside" of original parameters, i.e. Independent, maybe like a merc band, a bandit group, a commune of chaos, etc…
3. The strangest change: We used to talk about companies as distinctive and specialized. What happened to that? Is there no longer any room for effective companies that are specialized?

They would have to be able to have access to and even just to HAVE their Influence available. If they can't, then Ryan saying that people can do their own thing, unaffiliated to a settlement, is a non starter. If that wasn't what you meant there, Ryan, my apologies.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Ryan Dancey
Companies are the subatomic particles of Settlements. They can exist as stand-alone entities but there's no upside to that right now other than "I bend the kneee to no one".

If a Settlement gets physically destroyed and loses cohesion its constituent Companies will seek a new configuration; either in conjunction with or without all or some their previous peers. Settlements will work hard to recruit Companies which will add to their resources and power levels. Inducing a Company to switch sides in a war will be extremely significant.

Companies are also the points of fracture within a Settlement. If a group finds its objectives and methods are causing friction with other Companies, that Company might opt to leave and seek better accommodations elsewhere, or the Settlement might opt to kick that Company out to protect the rest of the community.

Once separate from a Settlement a Company probably has a limited lifespan. It needs to find a new place to call home or it's likely it will start to lose characters through attrition.

We would like, at some point in the future, to have iterated on Company infrastructure features enough that there could be an independent existence possible for Companies - specifically for Mercenary and Bandit Companies, but we don't have that infrastructure yet.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post