Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Teleportation Circles

Edam
Long range teleports would remove any strategic value of settlement placement.

Settlements at the opposite ends of the map can be in the same alliance and reinforced when threatened by teleporting troops. Someone is trying to blockade a certain area or Auction House ? No worries we have a teleport come and shop in total safety. Trying to defend an area with guards and fortifications? Sorry we just teleported behind them.

Teleport and instant travel is necessary in themeparks to get people from instance to instance quickly. In a PvP sandbox it is going to bypass 90% of strategy and make terrain and geography irrelevant.
Brighthaven Leader
The only teleportation that I could see, is a one time teleport (when the map opens) from starter settlements to a PC settlement of their choice.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
vyal
I'll quote myself (woo!) because I just recently commented on this as a money/resource sink:

vyal
Thod-Theodum
… So I had some thoughts about alternative sinks that actually would remove a lot of raw materials, coin and even durability from this game. …
Add dimensional doors in every settlement that you can use by feeding it 50 mats.
OR
Add dimensional doors in every settlement that you can use by feeding it a number of mats based on target distance. (50 for 1 settlement away, 100 for 2 settlements away, 150 for 3, etc, or based on # of hexes)
OR
Add dimensional doors in every settlement that you can use by feeding it mats of a particular value, either gathered, refined, crafted, or straight up cash, with the above option in mind.

If you want a sink that's effective, tweak that. smile

And to be clear, the intent with this suggestion is to permit players the ability to travel instantly between settlements (or one-way from settlement to arbitrary hex) by sacrificing materials and/or money in large quantities. But only if it's a higher priority design goal to encourage players to consume materials, versus the philosophy of "no fast travel, ever".

Regarding the bolded bit, I've seen where fast travel is so expensive and so inconvenient that players don't want to use it. It was in GW2, for example, and I think I used it maybe once a week? And immediately regretted using it afterward.
It comes down to this, in my opinion: If fast travel consumes MORE in resources/money than the player would gain by killing as they traveled the same distance, it won't be popular. In other words, if it hurts, players will avoid it.

For an extreme example: If it cost 5 gold to use a teleportation circle or dimensional door, from one settlement to another, would anyone use it, today? If your answer is yes, then what if it costs 10 gold? Or 100 gold? Is there 100 gold in the entire game economy, yet? Ok, then let's go for absurd, and skip to 1000 gold to use a teleport in PFO.
You can make it ridiculously unattractive, and players won't use it.

OR

You can turn it into a resource or monetary sink, and encourage desired behavior, depending on implementation. You could have it so you unless you've visited the target settlement previously, you can't teleport there. Or you could make it so you have only one teleport target location that you must Mark previously, and it's one way only. Or you could have it kind of like Blink where you can choose your target destination, but you must have line of sight.
Or you could make it so that you can only use it from the bottom of dungeons to return to the surface, or return to your home settlement, once per RL day.

There's lots of options, and lots of ways to implement fast travel that would be good for the game in many ways and not all of them are pure evil and portend the end of the game, in my opinion. smile
Azure_Zero
I can agree with a number of points made by both sides in this thread.
If it does come in, it does need a set of restrictions.

Common restrictions would be
*requires "destination" access permissions, <– No teleport attacks on hostile towns as you can't teleport into, feuds do an auto deny to that settlement or the whole alliance of settlements.

*can only take equiped gear, nothing else <– Not to break economy or hinder bandits

*Can only be used once every hour in that settlement you teleported from
/\– So you can teleport to say TK, check AH, if nothing to take back, teleport back (but can't teleport from TK for an hour), and hinders breaking the economy,

*All equiped gear on character that uses a teleport has each piece of gear locked (not removable) for 3 hours, until destroyed, or back in home settlement.
/\– To further weaken the economy hit, from folks selling their equiped wares every hour, but allow for a gear change.

you could add other restrictions like;
1) Can only be used in nation alliance and within a 8 to 10 hex maximum.
2) Can only Teleport to NPC towns, and your own Home settlement (or combined with option 1)
3) Can only Teleport to settlements within 6 hexes of the settlement
4) Upkeep is based on use of the circle (i.e. every 6 teleports consumes 1 of each bulk resource) rather than a flat rate
5) Has a chance of mis-teleporting you
6) Each Teleportation requires a mini-game to be done for the transfer (score low and get teleported somewhere other than target destination)
7) Each Teleportation requires Essence, and or other items for circle use.
8 ) Each Teleportation requires special crystals (from mobs and or craft (like sage)) for circle use, with quality determining max distance.

Option 1 and 2 limits the areas you can teleport to a lot.
Option 3 will mean if you want to get to one side to the other, you better not cheese off anyone in the chain or have a back-up chain.
Option 4 makes it so cost scales with settlement population.
Option 5 adds risk to the teleport.
Option 6 adds something new and a risk to teleportation.
Option 7 and 8 do an economy boost and give more of a the reason to go out and do gathering, refining, and PVE.
Phyllain
No teleportation. Makes power projection to easy. You have to commit forces in one corner of the map but you got bad intel and the enemy is someplace else? Have fun running to the real battle.
Rynnik
Thannon Forsworn
Rynnik
This exact thing helped ruin darkfall and was subsequently removed from that game.

IE. No thanks.
I never played Darkfall, how were they implemented there? What sort of limitations were put on them?
It was an economic limitation once the structure was built with a big cooldown etc. I won't get into the whole details because it takes a lot of explaining if you don't already know the game at all. The short of it is that a small group of elite players (more of a skill based combat system than in PFO) were able to take the best settlements in key locations without regard to geographical co-location completely bypassing economic scarcity and localization and just ensuring that teleportation meant any time a siege went up on any one of these valuable settlements they could all always be there to win the fight. It was bad.

vyal
There's lots of options, and lots of ways to implement fast travel that would be good for the game in many ways and not all of them are pure evil and portend the end of the game, in my opinion. smile
Name a single sandbox title on the market right now where that is true.

Don't waste dev time or player support on something this dangerous when there are so many better things to do.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Midnight
This map is already too small. Force projection is too easy, already. Teleportation would make this game a joke.

In Eve, before they curtailed force projection, carrier fleets were hot-dropping on a lone cruiser just because they could.

In this game, your lone gatherer would get spotted and 12 enemies would teleport near you to hunt you down.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Thannon Forsworn
Seems like the biggest problem is force projection, the economy issues all seem easy to lockout. Anything that's been mentioned to curtail force projection does feel like a tacked on effect which feels clunky, always prefer a more elegant solution when possible. Definitely a big issue with any such mechanics though.

What if it was automatically shutoff during declared feuds/wars? That would make it a resource sink that doesn't help you during that period. Easy to disrupt if someone was trying to 'abuse' someone else's circle too.

I don't find it really needed today but if we make it far enough that they expand the map to it's greater size I could imagine such a thing becoming much more desired, even with plenty of limitations.
Thannon Forsworn
Master of Trade
Canis Castrum
Thannon.Forsworn@gmail.com
Midnight
If the map gets big enough, travel ought to be an ADVENTURE, rather than stepping into a circle for convenience.

Teleportation is a way to avoid other players. In sandboxes players are the content, so avoiding each other is bad.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Rynnik
Midnight
If the map gets big enough, travel ought to be an ADVENTURE, rather than stepping into a circle for convenience.
THIS.

A map you can't reasonably cross by any mechanism except lots and lots of time is a REALLY GOOD THING.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post