Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Bulk Resources Future Increased Weight

Rynnik
Duffy Swiftshadow
Ah man you don't get it, we're not mad at all, it's fun making you sputter and insult people when you run out of anything to say. It's like messing with Heroguides/Xanne, more a hobby now than anything. No one actually takes you seriously, you turned yourself into a punchline.

How about as the big anti proponent you come up with something that would appease you but also appease the other side as an exercise? How about a little give and take instead of just yelling 'no'? Oh wait that would require not sticking to some other game's dogma and proclaiming the one true sandbox way.

Anyways as to the topic on hand, I'm pretty sure the idea GW originally posited that outposts were vulnerable to raiding during a window and then transferred to the secure holding auto-magically (unless you move them yourself in that window) circumvents chore activities a bit. Why not take it to the next level and have it move to the settlement under some circumstances? Or if there's problem cause some distances might be really big, try making an avenue that's less time consuming? How about a weekly activity instead of a daily activity? I'm sure someone can come up with some more ideas.

Might not get a chance to continue this for a day or two but don't fear I'll be back!
Man you are funny when you get worked up, Duffy.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Duffy Swiftshadow
The 'I know you are but what am I' defense, classic!
Doc
If you think that managing your settlements is too much of a chore, you could always have somebody else do it that does not think it is a chore? Or you could relinquish your settlements. Have you considered those options?
Brighthaven Leader
How many settlement leaders feel that this game has zero chores? Or even just a small amount?

I know most of us have delegated out a lot of the settlement responsibility, but I would like to hear back from other settlement leadership on their feelings.

I realize that this game's motto is "Hard is fun," but does that mean boring is also fun? or tedious is fun?
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Doc
I realize that this game's motto is "Hard is fun," but does that mean boring is also fun? or tedious is fun?

I find doing escalations are rather tedious, and yet whenever I've suggested to de-focus Dev work on PvE to PvP I've been told by many that they find doing escalations fun and relaxing, etc. So, what is there to say there? Perhaps not all of the game aspects are going to be a good match for all players? In EVE I found building spreadsheets of market data interesting, and running 16 jump trade routes on a weekend to be relaxing. I suspect there are people in PFO also like that.

The ultimate issue we get to here then, but isn't really being mentioned, is that there is an unspoken supposition inherent to these calls for making settlement management more casual, that the settlements remain in control of some of the players desiring the system to be more casual.

There might be plenty of players who would find running the settlements to be a task they are up to and not complain about, but they have no ability to get themselves into that position.

For example, I myself for the last 7 months have made 3 separate attempts at a play to get control of a settlement and have failed each time.

Perhaps, instead of casualizing the game system so that the same people can remain in control of settlements, it might be more meritocratic to enable or facilitate a transfer of control of settlements to players who have either the will, man-power, organization skills, or just plain free-time available to take care of them as needed.
Rynnik
Doc

I find doing escalations are rather tedious, and yet whenever I've suggested to de-focus Dev work on PvE to PvP I've been told by many that they find doing escalations fun and relaxing, etc. So, what is there to say there? Perhaps not all of the game aspects are going to be a good match for all players? In EVE I found building spreadsheets of market data interesting, and running 16 jump trade routes on a weekend to be relaxing. I suspect there are people in PFO also like that.

The ultimate issue we get to here then, but isn't really being mentioned, is that there is an unspoken supposition inherent to these calls for making settlement management more casual, that the settlements remain in control of some of the players desiring the system to be more casual.

There might be plenty of players who would find running the settlements to be a task they are up to and not complain about, but they have no ability to get themselves into that position.

For example, I myself for the last 7 months have made 3 separate attempts at a play to get control of a settlement and have failed each time.

Perhaps, instead of casualizing the game system so that the same people can remain in control of settlements, it might be more meritocratic to enable or facilitate a transfer of control of settlements to players who have either the will, man-power, organization skills, or just plain free-time available to take care of them as needed.
<3 Doc
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Brighthaven Leader
I am not suggesting at all about casualizing the game, I am suggesting there are parts that are tedious, boring, and not very exciting.

I guess I just don't like spending hours on end hauling resources that are required to run a settlement. Doesn't matter if we have 20, 30, 40 people each week working on hauling, it seems like every time I turn around GW wants to make it slower and slower to get something from point A to point B.

I don't think I have an issue on organization skills, free-time, man-power, or the will…I have an issue with the slogfest that is transportation.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Doc
I guess I just don't like spending hours on end hauling resources that are required to run a settlement. Doesn't matter if we have 20, 30, 40 people each week working on hauling, it seems like every time I turn around GW wants to make it slower and slower to get something from point A to point B.

I can appreciate that. I wouldn't expect everyone to want to do that kind of thing. Just like I wouldn't have expected everyone in EVE to like working with the Planetary Infrastructure component of EVE.

My question to you then, is why are you doing it?
Brighthaven Leader
I am doing it because it is a necessary evil, while I realize there needs to be transportation, I don't like the way its implemented, or that most people I know find it a chore.
Doc
I am doing it because it is a necessary evil, while I realize there needs to be transportation, I don't like the way its implemented, or that most people I know find it a chore.

I'm pretty sure the settlement upkeep system doesn't care where the bulk resources come from, or who deposits them into the settlement vault.

Again I ask, why are you doing it. Why not delegate the responsibility? Why not let the companies managing the holdings transport and deposit the resources from their holdings straight to home? Could you buy them off the auction house? Could you incentivize non-holding owning companies to do the transport for you?

It seems one difference between you and me on this topic, is you see this as a barrier that needs to be removed, and I see it as a barrier that begs to be solved. There are many ways to skin this cat, and coming up with and implementing those solutions is where I think some of the meaningful and organic player-generated content can come from.

Making it so one person can manage a settlement easily to level 20 support would make it so all settlements can easily have high level training and support, and therein training for high levels is no longer an achievement or a consequence for gameplay.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post