Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Bulk Resources Future Increased Weight

Brighthaven Leader
Just taking a quick glance at a Stock Settlement, you are going to need (after they greatly reduced the costs) 11,000 resources per week, with around 30-40 holdings, and 1k bulk resources in Infrastructure long term.

So, you will have to move 55,000 Encumbrance per week.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Edam
It will kinda get silly once you end up having to give most of the company secure vault access just to move bulk goods efficiently.

Ideally moving mule loads of bulk goods is something you should be paying your brand new players who are strapped for cash to do. Instead it generally has to be done by company leaders.
Daeglin
That's odd. One of the HRC did an experiment comparing +0 to +3 small mules and found encumbrance limit increased by a set amount for each plus of mule. Did you check the various plus mules for Medium? I'll point out this thread, see if the data can be presented either here or in Doc's other thread on the issue.
Good… Bad… I'm the guy with the bow.
Brighthaven Leader
Yea, the +s increase it, but its such a small amount, we were using a set of +3s and it seems to add maybe 100-150 encumbrance.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Edam
It does seem that plus adds a tiny benefit, size adds no benefit and casting mass Strength seems to have no noticeable benefit (although noticing an extra 20 or so encumbrance will be difficult, for mighty to do anything useful on mules it would need to be a percentage).
Doc
Just taking a quick glance at a Stock Settlement, you are going to need (after they greatly reduced the costs) 11,000 resources per week, with around 30-40 holdings, and 1k bulk resources in Infrastructure long term.

So, you will have to move 55,000 Encumbrance per week.

So, from what I can determine you're talking about a settlement fully kitted out with every structure at level 6?

Wouldn't buildings to level 3 be more appropriate for the current needs? That would be roughly 15% of what you're projecting for level 6's, from what I can see.
Brighthaven Leader
Yea, sure, but if we have to deal with durability loss, you want to minimize that as much as possible. Besides by the time were putting these things down were going to want level 4 buildings for the training.
Rynnik
Cheatle for TEO
Yea, sure, but if we have to deal with durability loss, you want to minimize that as much as possible. Besides by the time were putting these things down were going to want level 4 buildings for the training.
lol

You just refuse to get it don't you.

HAVING A 100% MAXED OUT SETTLEMENT SHOULD BE A MASSIVE UNDERTAKING NEARLY UNACHIEVABLE WITH CURRENT POP AND GAME.

Otherwise when things do expand and grow we are going to be sitting around twiddling thumbs when all the top achievements were scaled and completed by 20 people in EE. You aren't supposed to have perfect levels of everything except with massive and obscene levels of effort. Achieving 80% is very workable and greatly reduces work loads. Achieving 95% should be superhuman to maintain. 100% should be nigh impossible.

That is working as intended mate. It is a good design principle. Sandboxes are different then themeparks and the idea isn't to race to 'endgame' 'max level' by any means as quickly as possible.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Gaskon
IMO, the biggest problem with the current settlement upkeep system is that the bulk resources aren't segregated more.
I live in Forgeholm. I was hoping/expecting that we'd have nothing but ore and stone up in the mountains, and that people down on the plains to the west would have all the food, but no ore.
Instead, we can essentially all produce everything we need within 2-3 hexes of our settlements, just with varying levels of efficiency.

When it comes to hauling goods:

hard but fun = making a dangerous weekly mule caravan across half the map to trade ore for food. This would involve coordinating, working as a team, bargaining for safe passage, etc. It would open up the potential for a lone trader to sneak a valuable load of food up the mountains and sell it for a good price. It means you could blockade an area and starve them out without having to go in their settlement and kill them or burn down all their holdings.

Boring and not fun = making daily, safe, repetitive, short 3 hex trips. This isn't an adventure, its just a chore you assign someone that risks nothing and just consumes time. It looks like every settlement can be self-sufficient if they just commit some man-hours to repetitive, predictable tasks. That's the very definition of a grind.

The decision I'd like to see change isn't tweaking encumbrance, it is a drastic redistribution of bulk resources so settlements must engage in long-distance trading to flourish.
Thod-Theodum
@Doc, Rynnik
I think there are several issues here at play - I can see some of your arguments having weight - but some just show utter ignorance of how the game currently works. Are you never transporting bulk goods for your settlement? After all you are active company members?

Issues:
1) Only company leaders can deposit into settlement secure - only founding leaders can take out resources
This one is a big, unnecessary issue. Transporting some bulk could be delegated to people low in the hierarchy but the game prevents this.
2) Only officers in a company are able to take out resources from a holding
Again - it completely flies into the face of delegation - unless everyone becomes a leader/officer
3) The population is too low - that means a few people do too much - that actually is something I take from Doc/Rynnik as valid and we have to be careful we don't enable a fully fledged ueber-settlement that could be run by a small group. That isn't intended.
4) Heavy weight not only hurts getting the resources from holdings - it will stop long distance trade in it's track. I just got 4000 bulk goods from Forgeholm that I traded against some of our bulk goods. 4 (5? for transport back?) mules where needed for this. Mules are slow, get stuck, can't go down mountains - I guess it might have taken Forgeholm 1 hour one way. Now assume you need 40 mules (but each player can only use 1) and this trade will NEVER happen. Just not worthwhile. We are talking 40 men hour transport.
5) Banditry is so much been discouraged that there doesn't even seem to be any risk involved right now (what about hard is fun?). So not even the PvP part seems to be in place to 'spice this up'. Correct me if that is wrong - have any mules been captured by EBA or EoX?

I'm waiting for the next patch and like to hear what Rynnik/Doc will make about transporting gained bulk back. Or will there only be 'scorched earth' because it isn't worthwhile transporting ill gotten spoils back to you own settlement as it is too cumbersome?

@Doc
You should soon be able to take over settlements. Good luck to take one over and to revive the AGC. This could add some needed flavour / something more to the ghost settlements in the west. I hope you have already plans as it seems at least 2 other groups are already in the process to take over settlements.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post