Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Sorry, but this needs to be a priority

tribuzio
I think that one of your problems is that you came to the game thinking it was a D&D game. it is not and can't be. The rights to the computer versions of the D%D game are a WoTC/Hasbro property and leasing them for a MMORPG probably will cost more than the whole starting budget for PFO.
So PFO is a game set in the Pathfinder universe but it need rules that are different from D&D. With a difference so large that there is no chance that PFO will be sued for copyright infringement.
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
tribuzio
I think that one of your problems is that you came to the game thinking it was a D&D game. it is not and can't be. The rights to the computer versions of the D%D game are a WoTC/Hasbro property and leasing them for a MMORPG probably will cost more than the whole starting budget for PFO.
So PFO is a game set in the Pathfinder universe but it need rules that are different from D&D. With a difference so large that there is no chance that PFO will be sued for copyright infringement.

What about rules that match Pathfinder RPG, is it allowed to have them?

I don't think having character classes would make it a rip off of D&D, otherwise that would make PFRPG a rip off as well.

What it seems to me is that Rex is looking for more in-game guidance on developing a "class". In this I would suggest he uses the Role Tracker and build his character following that. One problem with that is that it just tells you what the next skill and skill level is needed to get to the next level. It does not suggest any optimization.

For example: if he wants to create the optimized Archer / Sniper what should he take?

Role Feature:
Armor:
Weapon:
Weapon Features:
Utilities:
Maneuvers:

The major problem with this is it appears you have to multi class this role because there is no reason to ever take a short bow over a long bow. It is disputable whether taking Opportunist (Rogue) over Archer (Fighter), and the Armor is most likely going to be Rogue based (ex. T2 Muffled Chain).

What PFO could use is an in game solution like EvE has with its Certificate System or what The Secret World uses with its Role Tree.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Thod-Theodum
The strenght AND the weakness of PFO in my mind is that the skill system often reminds me of civilization.

In Civ you might have certain goals - democracy, a certain amy type, etc. You have the same here - being able to make T1 + 2 long swords, T2 +2 great axes, being able to wear T2 armour etc.

Civ - at least when I bought it - had a nice big map with all trees printed on it and you could work backwards to ensure you had all the prerequisites - even if you were not necessarily interested in all of them / if you would have ranked other development higher.

But this is where Civ/PFO analogy ends. PFO has many more trees. It allows many more ways to get to a goal - that is positive. But it also means that you can't just 'do it all' which in Civ you eventually would do more or less and while not optimal it is much less suboptimal to just do it all in a different order while PFO forces selection of subtrees.

Add non-intuitiveness and a lot of players are lost. Even I had to revert to spreadsheets to plan some of my families characters to ensure they go in the right direction.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Edam
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon

I don't think having character classes would make it a rip off of D&D, otherwise that would make PFRPG a rip off as well.

PFRPG is allowed to use the wizards IP from the D20 SRD through the OGL licence which only permits gaming books/pdfs for a tabletop game.
Caustus
Rex, You and I are at about the same point in development. I had no idea what I was doing initially but aiming for a fighter/cleric build someday paladin. That went quickly to hell. I am a mixed up mutt of classes and skills. I was focusing on longswords, tried shields briefly, then found I was using my bow for everything especially in a group, then found stealth had some benefits. This is not how I envisioned my character from the start. Optimizing my build is impossible with the current system without an outside source like spreadsheets, so now I play by Role but even that is a scattering of various skills. Not a fan of the AOE nerf for fighters whirlwind.
As a former chef in RL, it feels like I'm throwing random ingredients in a bowl and hoping it turns out ok, there is no master Recipe.

What would help immensely would be a reorganizing of the feats table by role by gear selection, in other words if I want to see available and unavailable one handed slashing feats in one place versus having to tooltip over each one. This would allow better planning without a second screen open for a spreadsheet. This is a general gripe, all the selection interfaces need criteria search functions.
RexTerra
tribuzio

I went back and read my posts and I have no possible clue how you concluded that I came in thinking/wanting/expecting a D&D game.
RexTerra
Caustus
Rex, You and I are at about the same point in development. I had no idea what I was doing initially but aiming for a fighter/cleric build someday paladin. That went quickly to hell. I am a mixed up mutt of classes and skills. I was focusing on longswords, tried shields briefly, then found I was using my bow for everything especially in a group, then found stealth had some benefits. This is not how I envisioned my character from the start. Optimizing my build is impossible with the current system without an outside source like spreadsheets, so now I play by Role but even that is a scattering of various skills. Not a fan of the AOE nerf for fighters whirlwind.
As a former chef in RL, it feels like I'm throwing random ingredients in a bowl and hoping it turns out ok, there is no master Recipe.

What would help immensely would be a reorganizing of the feats table by role by gear selection, in other words if I want to see available and unavailable one handed slashing feats in one place versus having to tooltip over each one. This would allow better planning without a second screen open for a spreadsheet. This is a general gripe, all the selection interfaces need criteria search functions.

It is a pretty big issue. I only yesterday found out that a lot of my mace secondary skills require an actual empty 2nd hand…no shield for you. I hadn't trained very much into it, but it is still a waste of XP.

There are just so many particulars of the game that you have to experience firsthand before you can make an educated choice. You even have to be very selective with your spreadsheets, because I've now found out that a lot of old resources are wrong.

I've also noticed that they have made major changes in terms of roles and character attributes. If you are going to have a system where you have to increase an attribute point to reach certain levels, knowing full well that you are crowdforging on a lower budget, and that you are going to be making substantial changes, you HAVE to have a system of internal documentation that is easily exportable and shareable to the community in real time.

That, or you need to massively simplify the game.
Doc
Definitely, why I started this post:
https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/3458/
Decius
Edam
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon

PFRPG is allowed to use the wizards IP from the D20 SRD through the OGL licence which only permits gaming books/pdfs for a tabletop game.
There are a handful of things in the books that are arguably not under that license. For example, the Kingmaker Mass Combat System and the Chase System (if you strip out a few references to Skills). Oh, and the parts of PFS that aren't part of the RPG.
Rynnik
RexTerra
I only yesterday found out that a lot of my mace secondary skills require an actual empty 2nd hand…no shield for you. I hadn't trained very much into it, but it is still a waste of XP.
That is actually how all dual wielding works right now (including shields) the weapon secondaries are replaced with those from the offhand weapon.

I wouldn't sweat a waist of exp though as it just means you are that far ahead when you go back to using them some day! Not to mention a bit of extra constitution never hurts any build either.

RexTerra
you HAVE to have a system of internal documentation that is easily exportable and shareable to the community in real time.

That, or you need to massively simplify the game.
Wrong in both cases.

I sort of appreciate GW leaning on the community to fill those gaps and isn't tough to see how the community is stepping up with things like PFU and goblinary. As always though the best resource ever is asking players who already know!
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post