Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Sorry, but this needs to be a priority

Doc
One hypothesis could be that with a declining player population CCP is making a more dedicated attempt to improve in-game interfaces, often related to be a negative aspect of the game. ISIS is not the only example, they also overhauled the manufacturing and industry interfaces earlier this year.
Caustus
Being an EVE (or insert other game) veteran should not be a pre-requisite to understand a completely different game. I'm flying a dwarf in this version.
Elsworth Sugarfoot
What Rex is saying is right. AND this does need attention RIGHT NOW. This game needs a steady stream of new players because of the xp advantage people in front of you have. If you can still catch up in a month you will probably stay subbed. If you need 6-9 months to make Tier 3 people won't sub. You need to have a sizeable amount of the population in Tier 2. That way those beginners don't feel impossibly outmatched. If we don't get a flood of tier 1 players there will be a 6 month gap that may never get recovered without a wipe.

New player experience is atrocious. The UI is archaic and feels like an old tank sim for a Mac II. You literally have to type /r to communicate!!! AND no one knows how to do it so can't communicate with the people who would help them. There needs to be a friends list! So that these new players can just click on your name and send a message like every other text client available in the world. Cut and paste and posting links and being able to toggle in and out of the chats and being able to turn on all the channels so you can see local, party, general, and help ALLATONCE… Abilities don't even tell you what they do until you have paid for and slotted them…I can go on…but there are more important things LIKE

THE MAP IS NOT GOOD AT ALL
One of the new players best tools is the map, and this map is less interactive than a piece of graph paper. Finding trainers is a chore even for experienced players. This deserves a whole post. I hate the map. Everything about it except that it's hex. I guess that's kinda cool.

FREE SUBSCRIPTION should be a month.
This is about the time people will be punching Tier 2 and the game will be interesting again so more likely to resub.

SUB Price should be lowered to $10.
I bet you a lot more people will get 2 accounts for $20 than for $30. Almost everyone likes to play multiple characters. If they like the game they will probably have 2-4+ many folks will have 10.
The Eternal Balance
RexTerra
Why am I bothering when so many else have not (logged in and quit)? Well, I have this sneaking suspicion that given the xp system and the massive mess the feat system is, people who learn the game inside and out will be OP beyond belief, which will allow for a lot of fun tormenting the noobs at some point.

I can't imagine we need people like this playing the game. Having fun tormenting other players? This poster is the exact reason why I and my other Table Top friends have taken a break from the game. The game does need to be friendly to new players - people like the OP is what will drive others way, not the complexity.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Doc
People who play farmville in isolation provide no content to anyone but themselves.

Somebody who "torments noobs" provides content to themselves, the noobs, the players who want to protect the noobs, the players who want to assist and outfit the tormenters, all kinds of folks.

That being said, I don't condone griefing and told Rex I would kill him till he stopped if he did happen to do that. But I would take the bad over the boring any day.

Maybe Gary Oldman could explain my point better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt1W0F0yObg
Thod-Theodum
@Doc

People who drive away players destroy future content. The often looked upon carebears who keep players in the game until they stand on their own feet ensure future content will be produced.

Some 'content' isn't good for the game if it can't last. I have been reading Rex in general and that would be the kind of player driving me away if I wouldn't know so many other players who keep me in the game.

Content can be created in many ways. I'm not a PvP player - but I'm sure I'm responsible for a lot of content in this game.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Doc
Thod, the game is already driving people away from the game, has been since EE started. What some people argue about, and have been disagreeing on since January is which type of players should be allowed to be driven away from the game. It's an existential crisis that has been plaguing PFO for months, years probably.

Like I said, I don't agree with Rex attacking new spawns and I told him as much. But I also don't think players like himself should be driven from the game, because their situation and behavior is very predictable. T1 players who actually want to do PvP, just joining the game now have a very narrow grouping of potential viable targets or opponents. The player population is overwhelming unbalanced with upper T2 geared/skilled players. That fact that these guys went after people closer to their level as opposed to being willing punching bags for EBA or some others is not outlandish. It kinda makes sense.

Additionally, the Meta-political landscape of the game is pretty confusing to new people. I just explained it to another new recruit minutes ago and they just scoffed in disbelief at the ramifications of settlement owners basically being able to blackball a player from training like just happened. God it feels like I'm back in Feb 2015 all over again.

Here is the reality:

- PFO invites players to the game who don't like PvP but drops them into an environment with very little protection from it.
- PFO also invites players to the game who love to PvP but drops them into an environment where most of the boundaries for PvP are determined and enforced by a Meta outside the game and of which they have no understanding or ability to affect.

As long as Goblin Works continues to only market PFO to people who largely fit the first demographic, while seemingly building game features geared towards the second demographic, these kinds of "issues" will feature prominently in the forum.
Edam
Doc
Here is the reality:

- PFO invites players to the game who don't like PvP but drops them into an environment with very little protection from it.
- PFO also invites players to the game who love to PvP but drops them into an environment where most of the boundaries for PvP are determined and enforced by a Meta outside the game and of which they have no understanding or ability to affect.

As long as Goblin Works continues to only market PFO to people who largely fit the first demographic, while seemingly building game features geared towards the second demographic, these kinds of "issues" will feature prominently in the forum.
I think its slightly more complex.

At this early stage with minimal populations and the sandbox being just a box of sand with no sandcastles moats or anything worth kicking over what is needed is castle builders more than castle kickers.

Ideally the game should recruit people that both want to build castles and kick other peoples castles over at the same time. Many Gologothan/Phaeros long term players are like this, happy to both PvP and also build.

However its not an ideal world and the game is marketed to many people who are solidly entrenched in a mode of just castle builder (many ex-TT players) or just castle kicker (many ex-EVE players) and the game is not established enough to handle that.
Ryan Dancey
I just don't understand why anyone thinks we're marketing the game to anyone under the premise that it's not a PvP game. We talk about PvP everywhere. It's the Dominate part of "Explore Adventure Develop Dominate".
Doc
I don't think you are, but I believe the marketing has been going primarily towards people who are less interested in the Dominate part of "Explore Adventure Develop Dominate". Just my perspective and opinion, of course.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post