Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

delete

RexTerra
Ryan Dancey
I'd like to make a few things clear.

Devs play in every MMO on the live servers. Don't kid yourself. They all do. There is no other way to really understand the current state of the game than to do it. I've never, in more than 8 years in the MMO industry, found a dev team that doesn't play their own game.

We have written policies which tell our staff what they can and cannot do in game and those policies are designed to limit the concern paying customers should have about the developers being in the game. Those policies include strict prohibitions against using GM tools for any purpose other than approved customer service. Violating those policies is a termination-level offense.

Our GM and Tester characters are audited. We know what they do and who they do it to. The non-GM non-Tester characters we play with don't have any GM powers; they are exactly identical to the accounts you have.

We don't consider anyone in the Bloodstone Swords to be "off limits to PvP". In fact, we'd be happy to PvP with you since that's one of the systems we need to be playing to understand.

You all might be interested to know that since we started live operations in January, we've banned just 3 accounts. All 3 were banned for repeatedly violating specific terms of service (not just "being jerks" ), and all three violations involved the use of excessive profanity, threats, and content inappropriate for our game and community, not actual in-game actions. So far, all the people I've warned about killing noobies or otherwise taking actions that were harmful to the game have altered their behavior to comply with my requests.

You threatened to ban/block me for correcting your spelling of "vitriol".

I didn't know that criticism was against the ToS!
Decius
RexTerra
Ryan Dancey

Devs play in every MMO on the live servers. Don't kid yourself. They all do. There is no other way to really understand the current state of the game than to do it. I've never, in more than 8 years in the MMO industry, found a dev team that doesn't play their own game.

We have written policies which tell our staff what they can and cannot do in game and those policies are designed to limit the concern paying customers should have about the developers being in the game. Those policies include strict prohibitions against using GM tools for any purpose other than approved customer service. Violating those policies is a termination-level offense.

Our GM and Tester characters are audited. We know what they do and who they do it to. The non-GM non-Tester characters we play with don't have any GM powers; they are exactly identical to the accounts you have.

We don't consider anyone in the Bloodstone Swords to be "off limits to PvP". In fact, we'd be happy to PvP with you since that's one of the systems we need to be playing to understand.

You all might be interested to know that since we started live operations in January, we've banned just 3 accounts. All 3 were banned for repeatedly violating specific terms of service (not just "being jerks" ), and all three violations involved the use of excessive profanity, threats, and content inappropriate for our game and community, not actual in-game actions. So far, all the people I've warned about killing noobies or otherwise taking actions that were harmful to the game have altered their behavior to comply with my requests.

Publicly complaining about getting a warning or ban and misrepresenting the reason has been held by other companies to be a waiver of the privacy normally accorded such actions. Not that there was ever a 'right' to that privacy, but that they typically aren't done publicly.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
RexTerra

Were you actually banned? Because people threaten each other with all kinds of horrible things every day. Especially people who have faced a series of provocations in the middle of an important public event with lots of potential customers watching and aren't inclined to give others the benefit of the doubt when things aren't going as smoothly as they'd like.

Not that we should assume Ryan is human. Just saying.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
RexTerra
Decius
RexTerra
Ryan Dancey

Publicly complaining about getting a warning or ban and misrepresenting the reason has been held by other companies to be a waiver of the privacy normally accorded such actions. Not that there was ever a 'right' to that privacy, but that they typically aren't done publicly.

Read one thing.

Experience another.

What privacy am I requesting? And if I'm not requesting privacy, why mention it?

I'm more than happy to post the log upon request and upon receiving permission to do so from the powers that be (that is, if I am thought to have misrepresented).

Admittedly, I did call him a "noob". I think that is as vicious as the language got.
Doc
Or maybe Ryan was just joking, heh
RexTerra
Doc
Or maybe Ryan was just joking, heh

Been doing the net/online games/online forums for over 20 years now. I'm a proficient troll, and I would like to think I can demarcate friendly joking vs. "I'm the boss, shut it or I'll ban you, clear?"

It was clearly the latter. Which is cool, I shut up. But don't then come onto your forums and pretend you are this consistently objective arbitrator who has thick skin and takes the equivalent of "judicial notice" when someone pokes them.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
RexTerra
Decius
RexTerra
Ryan Dancey

Read one thing.

Experience another.

What privacy am I requesting? And if I'm not requesting privacy, why mention it?

I'm more than happy to post the log upon request and upon receiving permission to do so from the powers that be (that is, if I am thought to have misrepresented).

Admittedly, I did call him a "noob". I think that is as vicious as the language got.
I think you've misinterpreted Decius.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Ryan Dancey
@RexTerra:

You're new, so you haven't heard this policy yet.

We intend to apply our discretionary powers to protect the game from trolls and misbehavior in a capricious and arbitrary manner. We intend to act how, and when, and against whom, we feel appropriate. It is our intent that there be no clearly defined line of behavior on one side of which you will be always OK, and on the other side of which you will never be OK. You should feel there's a large gray area of unknown and unknowable dimensions, and be concerned that you risk sanction whenever you are near it.
MidknightDiamond
Rex, you were threatening to report him for harassment and impersonating GW staff because you said you didn't believe he was actually Ryan. Granted, you were trolling and we knew it, Ryan knew it and said as much in General. He had every right to tell you in whispers to stop being stupid.
Aurora Silverstar, Pathfinder University Quartermaster & Explorer
Kiernan Silverstar, Aurora's lazy & good-for-nothing younger brother who just likes to blow things up.

PM MidknightDiamond on Paizo Forum
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
This is why I rarely use General Chat, rarely read General Chat, rarely take General Chat seriously.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post