Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Devs: How Many Years to THIS Game?

SDShannonS
I am a platinum subscriber who was trying to convince some friends to come back and check out the game again after they walked away early on. They bought the six-account package from the Kickstarter but haven't played since the first few weeks of EE. Upon learning that the gameplay itself hasn't really changed, their response to my request was, "Pay $15 per month for something that isn't even a game yet? No, thanks." That got me thinking about just how far the game is right now from what was described in Ryan's blog posts.

The other day at Stephen's Keepside Chat, the question was asked frequently, "when is THIS minor feature going to be in" or "when is THAT minor feature going to be in" and the answer was always the same, "programmer time!" If Goblinworks is running such a lean operation that they can't even dedicate programmers to critical essentials like dev logs to see empirically how the game is actually being played, then how many years is it going to be before we get to play the game that was described to us HERE or HERE or HERE?

There is a WORLD of difference between what was described in those posts and the boring, repetitive gameplay we currently get to enjoy. If we saw something better on the horizon, I would be excited but instead I am disheartened to learn that the programming budget is so undercapitalized as to make the game I paid for impossibly distant.

So my question to Ryan and the other devs is this: How many years do you anticipate us having to wait for the game that was described to us in your blog posts, the game we excitedly paid over a million dollars for?
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, SP 1
32 GB RAM
Dual Crossfire'd AMD Radeon R9 200 video cards
Ryan Dancey
It's impossible to estimate. The rate we are able to add functionality to the game is related to how fast we're able to grow the player population and thus the revenue we're generating and thus the size of the staff.
Kitsune
Is that a new record for response speed?
Caldeathe Baequiannia
I talk too much.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Ryan Dancey
I can't agree that the game isn't "a game yet", nor that it "hasn't really changed" since New Years Eve. But that's a subjective opinion.
SDShannonS
If the game is not [sufficiently] fun in its current incarnation, you cannot grow the player population and thus the revenue you're generating and thus the size of the staff. Other sources of revenue must be actively pursued for the game to reach that critical mass of fun that retains accounts rather than seeing the vast majority of them shelved. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that. But it worries me that no mention is made of attempts to secure additional funding. I want the game to succeed and, in truth, I believe it will succeed in time as long as the trickle of retained accounts is sufficient to keep the lights on but I would vastly prefer that it succeed while I still have my eyesight. I don't want to have to ask my grandchildren if the game is fun yet.
32 GB RAM
SDShannonS
Ryan Dancey
I can't agree that the game isn't "a game yet", nor that it "hasn't really changed" since New Years Eve. But that's a subjective opinion.
I didn't say that PFO isn't a game yet; they did. That was their honest expression of what they thought of PFO in its current form. Those are former customers' exact words so, agree with them or not, you should pay heed to the message they carry. I think it would be of tremendous value to conduct a survey of every non-active account inquiring as to the reasons behind the non-activity. That might help to direct future programming efforts into areas that could retain existing customers and even bring back former ones.

I would argue that, although the game has added a few features and feats here and there, the core gameplay really hasn't changed since inception. There are at present three activities that I feel are worthwhile endeavors, the same three that were present at start of EE: gathering, crafting (which includes refining as the gameplay is virtually identical), and running around like a chicken with its head cut off as your group kites an escalation to death. All of these activities can be engaged with the vague threat of PvP in the background, which could be considered an additional gameplay mechanic but happens with such rarity that I do not consider it.
32 GB RAM
Ryan Dancey
I actually have that data. The way I conduct my surveys allows me to build cross-tabs for various subsegments including players who tried the game but have not elected to continue to play.
Edam
The game is vastly better than 9 months ago in terms of mechanics and bugs and graphics and general playability.

I must admit I am somewhat confused as to what new content is to be added that will make these particular people happy?

More PvP and kill mails? Some WoW style dungeon instances where you get "special stuff"? Easter eggs when exploring like finding a friendly dragon that gives you a million platinum?

"More fun" is a bit of an open ended request.
SDShannonS
Ryan Dancey
I actually have that data. The way I conduct my surveys allows me to build cross-tabs for various subsegments including players who tried the game but have not elected to continue to play.
That's good to hear; I hope those data serve to direct future development.

Are you willing to address the question of when, at the projected rate of growth, you expect this game to approach the vision you had back in 2011/12?
32 GB RAM

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post