Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Devs: How Many Years to THIS Game?

Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Memory
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
In PFO, a 3 month old character using t1/t2 skills and gear has no chance against a 1 year old character with T2/T3 skills and gear. (Note: both characters using same build, as in the EVE example).

I feel like a dunce having to explain this point to so many different people, but i'm going to apologize in advance for going all broken record again:

you're looking at it backwards. This game is not about comparing one player's fighting power to another. 1v1 is irrelevant. it doesn't mean anything. this game is about 15 v 15 (or more) gameplay. I guarantee you that that t3 suited player is still going to crumble surprisingly fast under focus fire from 15 T2 guys. TTK is short enough in this game that the playing field is very level, and the economy for t3 gear is daunting enough that the average fighting force isn't going to field many (if any) t3 in PVP engagements, unless they already know they're going to win.

Basically, what i'm saying, is any player that can participate in t2 gear can contribute on, or about the same level as a 1 year old player in large-scale pvp engagements. You can catch up. i't easy in fact.

I've never argued against the fact that numbers matter more than gear or skill. You are bringing up a point that is irrelevant to the argument.

The idea that a new company will join the game during OE and say to themselves, "The only way for us to compete is to have 10:1 or 15:1 odds in our favor, is an acceptable situation for us", is not likely going to happen.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Duffy Swiftshadow
So what you really want is even playing field arena combat but with the option to ignore it? Fracture you player base and create a gear treadmill? I'm confused.

Aside from that your EVE example is a bit wrong, there are over a dozen side skills that make you better at combat things besides the minimal skills for piloting and using the small weapons on that Frigate. The vet still has an advantage up to some point, I'll go boot up EVEmon after-work and get you the exact time differences cause I think it would be interesting analysis. (I honestly don't know what they are anymore it's been awhile since I played EVE)

So if you aren't removing the power curve from the game, what time-frame are you okay with for noob to max power in a role?
Memory-High Priest of Desna
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
The idea that a new company will join the game during OE and say to themselves, "The only way for us to compete is to have 10:1 or 15:1 odds in our favor, is an acceptable situation for us", is not likely going to happen.

i think i'm being misunderstood a bit. i'm not saying you need to be able to outnumber the t3 player 10:1. i'm saying you need to participate in battles of 10 v 10 to see how much more even the playing field really is. Player co-ordination and teamwork count for a lot more than gear and effect power. as long as late joiners focus their characters on getting t2 capable (which is super easy), and play in a coordinated group-oriented fashion, they will be competitive, and they will be able to have an effect on the world.

What they ~cant~ do is go out and be an uber soloist. which is fine. nobody should be focusing on that.
Adventure Time with the High Priest of Desna, begins Tuesday 08/18 at 6:00pm EST (10:00 server time) at the Thornkeep Auction house. All new players welcome!

Official titles and Nicknames:
Spherewalker of Indor-Mardil, High Priest of Desna, Dreaden-appointed Forum Troll Extraordinaire, The Southern Speedster, Slinger of Stars, Newbie-Bear, Gutter of Golgothans, King of Kiters, Johnny Ustalavian-Seed, and Peaches.
Tigari
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Memory
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
In PFO, a 3 month old character using t1/t2 skills and gear has no chance against a 1 year old character with T2/T3 skills and gear. (Note: both characters using same build, as in the EVE example).

I feel like a dunce having to explain this point to so many different people, but i'm going to apologize in advance for going all broken record again:

you're looking at it backwards. This game is not about comparing one player's fighting power to another. 1v1 is irrelevant. it doesn't mean anything. this game is about 15 v 15 (or more) gameplay. I guarantee you that that t3 suited player is still going to crumble surprisingly fast under focus fire from 15 T2 guys. TTK is short enough in this game that the playing field is very level, and the economy for t3 gear is daunting enough that the average fighting force isn't going to field many (if any) t3 in PVP engagements, unless they already know they're going to win.

Basically, what i'm saying, is any player that can participate in t2 gear can contribute on, or about the same level as a 1 year old player in large-scale pvp engagements. You can catch up. i't easy in fact.

I've never argued against the fact that numbers matter more than gear or skill. You are bringing up a point that is irrelevant to the argument.

If they're brand new then yes.. why should they be able to compete right away? Now get them in for a month and a half..into T2 gear, and BOOM, they can compete with almost everyone. From the looks of T3 gear, I'm not expecting everyone to be wearing T3 armor all the time. The amount of XP that goes into T3 gathering is ALOT. Everyone can get to a T2 gathering in 8days of xp, T3 is more of MONTHS, not everyone will do that. This will allow the people who did do it, to set the price for their goods, which will probably be a bit more spend, with less of them on the market. We don't see a huge price gab between t1 and t2 because almost everyone can gather something T2.

Back to main point.. Even when people have the ability to wear T3, I doubt most will all the time. This means those 2month old players who are in T2+2, can easily compete with most people, given they have the numbers to do so.
Decius
Back to the original subject: my guess is that each additional staff member will cost around $150-250k per year, with a $75k initial cost to acquire. If they aren't being paid out of existing revenue, it would be irresponsible to not be able to afford the burn rate for four years.

Adding a single person to the team with investor money requires about $1m, or +15k subscribers.
Andas
Ryan Dancey
It's impossible to estimate. The rate we are able to add functionality to the game is related to how fast we're able to grow the player population and thus the revenue we're generating and thus the size of the staff.

Is the player population growing? Not counting trials, but people that are actually paying to play.

***Note - I am not expecting an answer…
SDShannonS
Andas
I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, SP 1
32 GB RAM
Dual Crossfire'd AMD Radeon R9 200 video cards
Caldeathe Baequiannia
SDShannonS
Andas
I doubt you'll be disappointed.
The advantage of being a pessimist. Either things are actually better than you think, or you get proven right. Win/win.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Edam
Once threading is in I am assuming walking around in all T3 gear will be somewhat akin to undocking in a marauder at Lanngisi with all Officer mods.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post