Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Dev Blog: Combat Updates for Early Enrollment v10.1

Edam
meh … since the earliest days of DnD, well before Pathfinder, those people that like running around in chunky armor with a massive sword have always pushed for melee to be the primary and main form of combat, presumably based on some sort of medival warfare ascetic. It is the nature of the game.

To be honest the biggest advantages of archers in the current instantiation is that cloth and heavy armors really suck and archer armors are all medium and light. Adding to that the fact that you have multiple ways (feats/armor/training/defensives/buffs) to get your RAB up to the point you consistently do near max damage they are popular.

Despite that Archers have sort of been setup deliberately to be single target "stand still and shoot" high alpha "one trick ponies" with the only interesting/fun options being shoot and stealth (mainly PvP) and playing about with Parting Shot. The current changes seem to be removing that high Alpha and nerfing Parting Shot with nothing added back to compensate other than the ability to pop ineffectual shots off faster at the guy who has stunned you and is smacking you in the head with a great sword.
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
I've noticed a reduction in damage or an increase in Mob resistance, particularly to Overdraw. Before that patch, most yellows (bandits and goblins) could be one-shot. After the patch, no longer a one-shot.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Doc
You do know that Overdraw has had it's damage factor reduced by half or close to that, right?
Quijenoth Starkiller
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
I've noticed a reduction in damage or an increase in Mob resistance, particularly to Overdraw. Before that patch, most yellows (bandits and goblins) could be one-shot. After the patch, no longer a one-shot.

OD is now useless unless you are alpha striking against someone unaware (i.e. you are stealth-ed).
3.5 speed that does the about as much damage as penetrating strike which is 2.3 speed means spamming is not an option plus its highly vulnerable to interrupts (although they are now reduced from players).
The only attack that utilizes its distressed condition is parting shot which you don't want to use if you just ambushed them and they are trying to run away!

Killing joke now doesn't require distressed so combining with wizards is no longer a thing either.
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Dazyk of Phaeros
Quijenoth Starkiller
OD is now useless…
I think you mean "less OP", not "useless"

No ability is useless.
Dazyk Half-Elven, Elder of the Frozen Fingers, the shock- troops of Phaeros. If you are a fighter, cleric, or rogue, and enjoy battle, be it PVP or PVE, we are the company for you! We welcome role-players, casual gamers, and hardcore players alike.

Find your hidden strength, join the Frozen Fingers today!
Dazyk's PFO Resources Folder
Rynnik
Dazyk of Phaeros
Quijenoth Starkiller
OD is now useless…

No ability is useless.
Especially one with 2 rounds of distressed on it.

Overdraw used to be a no-brainer and that is always an indication that it was in need of some adjustment.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Edam
Rynnik
Dazyk of Phaeros
Quijenoth Starkiller
OD is now useless…

No ability is useless.
Especially one with 2 rounds of distressed on it.

Overdraw used to be a no-brainer and that is always an indication that it was in need of some adjustment.

Well it is true that for PvE, slotting Parting Shot, Overdraw and Half Draw were all you really needed at high level on an archer. In particular, Parting Shot followed by Overdraw could kill a lot of yellows in two shots before they did any damage to you at all. By the same token the rest of the archer repertoire was kinda sucky.

Though do you need to be careful in gaming assuming that "popular = ludicrously overpowered". Even being just 5% more effective on a spreadsheet can mean a particular feat is slotted by 90% of players.

EVE suffers from that all the time. A particular weapon type is 5% better than the others so it makes it into doctrines and absolutely everyone trains for it then its suddenly "OMG 80% of kills are with weapon type xxx it must be so OP" posts pop up all over the forums and the devs respond by halving its power and make all that training useless.
Rynnik
Edam
Though do you need to be careful in gaming assuming that "popular = ludicrously overpowered". Even being just 5% more effective on a spreadsheet can mean a particular feat is slotted by 90% of players.
Not sure if you are meaning to say that directly to me but I very intentionally didn't use the term popular. The problem is when there is a clear 'right choice' that reduces interesting player decisions. While related to popularity it wasn't the concern I was conveying for exactly the reasons you outline.

Right now the choice of attacks is more interesting for me as a longbow user then it was previously.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Bringslite
Weren't there supposed to be combos (primary to secondary) with this new patch? Is everyone seeing them except me?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Edam
Bringslite
Weren't there supposed to be combos (primary to secondary) with this new patch? Is everyone seeing them except me?

Cannot really comment as not in game this week and hence not even really looking at goblinary - however I will be looking very carefully at combos as currently my macro keyboard is a bit of a waste in this game and only get used for sprint (r+ctrl) and stop/hide (back arrow + x). Same weapon combos if they do exist are ideal keyboard macros. Now … if only they added commands that let you select primary or secondary weapon from the keyboard instead of the current annoying toggle smile

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post