Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Dev Blog: Combat Updates for Early Enrollment v10.1

Gross
Well - the long bow chart is very helpful and explains why I felt my archer had been f-ed up by these changes when I tested it yesterday…. my particular level 5 or even 4 attacks are not combo-able - having high level follow through foresight, impact critical, half draw, over draw, parting shot provides no real synergy benefits and it will take weeks to fill the gaps to access the combos if I want to access effects… effectively the devs just nerfed a couple of months of XP for me because I had not chosen the feats they made key.

Would not mind if they had a least left all feats half useful…but half draw without the ability to create the revealed condition is now a less than worthless L5…
Mercenary monster hunter from Forgeholm
War priest of Angradd… patiently waiting on Goblinworks to deliver him (and greataxes, Dwarves need 2 handed axes).
Edam
Gross
Well - the long bow chart is very helpful and explains why I felt my archer had been f-ed up by these changes when I tested it yesterday…. my particular level 5 or even 4 attacks are not combo-able - having high level follow through foresight, impact critical, half draw, over draw, parting shot provides no real synergy benefits and it will take weeks to fill the gaps to access the combos if I want to access effects… effectively the devs just nerfed a couple of months of XP for me because I had not chosen the feats they made key.

Would not mind if they had a least left all feats half useful…but half draw without the ability to create the revealed condition is now a less than worthless L5…

You have chosen the commonly accepted "useful best option" under the old schema. Assuming part of the change was to force players to move away from percieved overused options it makes sense those already commonly used options were not placed as central to new feat trains.

Note the issues with some of those are easily fixed. For example Half Draw spams interrupts the same way it always did if you fire off a single Impaling Shot (range 20m though) at your target first.
Gross
Don't have impaling shot… that's the problem - I have put XP into 7 attacks for my longbow - switching between parting shot and impact critical on the bar depending on my mood - (plus more XP into the 3 matched reactives for interrupt and stun also swapping between them) and freakishly there is not one effect I can activate / combo available with those 7 attacks in these new feat trains, instead 4 feats I didn't put XP into are acting as gates so I am bloody annoyed.

As it is, the 17k of XP / 8 days in half draw is just a source of angst and looking at the Goblinary and feat tree I will have to stop all other character development for @24 days to get a fully balanced attack bar again, 16 days to be semi balanced.

You wouldn't have thought it would be so hard to play a ranger in pathfinder….
Mercenary monster hunter from Forgeholm
War priest of Angradd… patiently waiting on Goblinworks to deliver him (and greataxes, Dwarves need 2 handed axes).
Decius
Gross
Don't have impaling shot… that's the problem - I have put XP into 7 attacks for my longbow - switching between parting shot and impact critical on the bar depending on my mood - (plus more XP into the 3 matched reactives for interrupt and stun also swapping between them) and freakishly there is not one effect I can activate / combo available with those 7 attacks in these new feat trains, instead 4 feats I didn't put XP into are acting as gates so I am bloody annoyed.

As it is, the 17k of XP / 8 days in half draw is just a source of angst and looking at the Goblinary and feat tree I will have to stop all other character development for @24 days to get a fully balanced attack bar again, 16 days to be semi balanced.

What attacks do you have? Can they work with/into a partner's?
Edam
Decius
Gross

What attacks do you have? Can they work with/into a partner's?

That way lies doctrines.

Anyway - I can see both sides.

Gross is asking why at least some of the combos were not built around existing feats GW knew people already had trained. One of the girls at my settlement was excited about her new T2+3 longbow and trained Half Draw to 5 about half an hour before the patch and was extrememly dissed when she proudly announced it in teamspeak and was basically told she had wasted her XP.

GW seem to be saying the flavor of the month is slow attack (mainly GS) melee and hence letting the same feats archers already use to debuff/interrupt/escape/kill melee combo up in the new feat trains will not have the desired effect. Seems like archers are meant to be more complicated (as oposed to AoE builds that got easier) and only used by highly skilled players so in the heat of battle they do not have time to interfere to much with the melee action.
tribuzio
Edam
Note the issues with some of those are easily fixed. For example Half Draw spams interrupts the same way it always did if you fire off a single Impaling Shot (range 20m though) at your target first.

"range 20m" Very useful as now ogres and actually all NPC outrange me. I am the one with the long ranged weapon and need to close to use it.
Balance around PvP, break for PvE.
Don't like it at all.

And honestly, who will be able to get that kind of combo in PvP? The enemy has closed or flee by the time you get the last attack, while you are rooted to the spot.
Tigari
You will still see others comboing with each other. Working as a group will always be mroe effective. Now we just have the ability to also do our own combos. Find someone else who works off of the same state you do, and maybe a 3rd (or 4th/5th ect) who can apply that state, while using good attack, (in other words, something they dont mind spamming ever 2-3 attacks)
Tyncale
That longbow chart explains why this change has not done anything for me, exept lower damage. At least for PvE.

For PvE, there are only two Effects on mobs that I am interested in, apart from raw damage: Bleed and Slow, and trying to stack them as high as possible, as fast as possible. Making the target Revealed does nothing for me in PvE, yet an important part of the graph centers around that.

Stacking Slow is most easily done by simply spamming Followthrough: why would I try to stack more slow by using pathways that use extra steps that sometimes work off Chances (50%) to boot?

For stacking Bleed I now spam Vital Strike: why use Impaling Shot when I have to lead that up with a follow through or impact critical shot first(both attacks with less damage)?

So basically my line up has been simplified, damage of my attacks is less and I am not using like 90% of that graph. Please tell me that being Aware, or having a player (rogue?) be Revealed is a huge thing in PvP. smile
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Daeglin
I had a chance to try out shortbow and was anticipating even more sorrow then usual after looking at the spreadsheets and the drop in DFs. I haven't had a chance to try it in pvp, but in pve I am pleasantly surprised. Yes my damage per attack is quite notably down, but after one or two abilities, 4 or 5 of my attacks go green, and I'm able to place much more significant DOTs that contributed significantly to combat. It required a major change to my "routine", and a lot of target changing to set up DOTs on all targets rather then downing one then moving on to the next. I ended up doing less kiting, and groups went down faster.

Downsides, I had to spend more time looking at my bar to figure out which green attack to use, I was taking more damage (partly cause less kiting, partly cause leaving more mobs up for DOTs to take down), and I didn't have to give any thought to stamina management (some people might count that as a plus, but I figure once sprint cost comes in, stamina management will become important again). I look forward to trying it in pvp.
Good… Bad… I'm the guy with the bow.
Tyncale
I have been thinking of going Shortbow too. Would be good for my Dex also and it is in line with being an Archer, so I would not consider that wasted xp. I hardly ever consider anything wasted xp anyway, I just do not like it when my DPS goes down and I have to feel weaker again in PvE combat. smile
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post