Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Dev Blog: Combat Updates for Early Enrollment v10.1

Giorgio
Doc
If there was such a thing as Fighters, Clerics, Wizards, and Rogues in PFO, than those points above would probably be incredibly valid. I have a feeling however, that pure class players in PFO are quite rare.

I would add that "pure" or "dedicated" roles are a rarity as the game currently offers NO incentives for not multi-rolling. Why be 100% fighter, when a 80% fighter/20% cleric is so much better (as an example).

When dedication bonuses come online, and assuming they are good enough to justify slotting all your feats from the same role + general, things might change.

I currently have:
Fighter/Freeholder/(Ranger)
Fighter/Expert/(Paladin of Torag)
Fighter/Freeholder/(Aristocrat)
Fighter/Freeholder/(Druid)

None of my PCs have cleric, wizard or rogue feats slotted, I know I am in the minority; all of them are taking fighter feats to get the basics of combat (Hit Points, BAB, Power, Recovery, Weapons… ) while waiting for their "real" role to make an appearance in game. I would like to be a "pure" or "dedicated" in my role, but just not able to do so at this time.
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Doc
I would add that "pure" or "dedicated" roles are a rarity as the game currently offers NO incentives for not multi-rolling. Why be 100% fighter, when a 80% fighter/20% cleric is so much better (as an example).

Why? Because by multi-classing you make it more difficult to reach the highest level perks or feats of either class you are multi-classing in. ie. EXP costs

Being able to use T3 equipment for your particular primary role, before anybody else, is a pretty big perk in my opinion. For PvE? Perhaps not, but for people who participate in PvP, having a T3 advantage will be very advantageous for 1v1 fights I'm predicting.
Edam
If I understand correctly T3 WEPs will average 50 more on the attack role over T2 and gain a major keyword worth of base damage.

However this will be a temporary advantage, the non min-maxers will eventually get T3 just a bit later.

My personal preference was for the original plan way back before Alpha of an EVE style "no roles at all just train what you want" - but no point in dwelling on the "might have beens".
Decius
In addition to the different attack roll curve and +20 base damage, T3 weapons gain +4 Effect power.

T3 armor gains +4 keyword effect and effect protection.
Edam
Decius
T3 armor gains +4 keyword effect and effect protection.

Is there also a static bonus to saves and some resistances similar to the bump you get at T2 ?
Nihimon
tribuzio
Nihimon
Quijenoth
Wizards need more ways to stay out of harms way.

I agree. Windrider is nice, but you have to have a Wand readied and have a target inside 10 meters. It's nowhere near as useful as Evasion, and the fact that it just moves you quickly backwards instead of moving you instantly backwards hampers it even further. I'm trying really, really hard to play a pure Wizard, but Evasion keeps calling my name. I see how effective it is when I'm trying to kill others.
And what stop you from taking it?
I get the windrier comment, as it impact your profession directly, but "I don't want to take evasion for aesthetic purpose" seem a bit excessive.

Evasion is a Rogue Utility. Slotting it will break my Wizard Dedication Bonus (whenever that comes in).
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Giorgio
Nihimon
Evasion is a Rogue Utility. Slotting it will break my Wizard Dedication Bonus (whenever that comes in).

So naturally, the next question would be along the lines of "Why are you worrying about dedication bonuses now, when there is no information on when it will be available and if its worth the trade off of not multi-rolling? Just take evasion now because it works and don't slot it in the future".

I look forward to your reply. smile

My tansy leaves are on some variation of:
1- Don't want to spend XP on something I don't plan on using.
2- Only way to see if a single role build works is by actually using it in play and providing real-time feedback.
3- Personal preference; I want to play a dedicated arcane spellcaster and nothing else.
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Nihimon
Giorgio
2- Only way to see if a single role build works is by actually using it in play and providing real-time feedback.
3- Personal preference; I want to play a dedicated arcane spellcaster and nothing else.

All of the above. Primarily #3, with #1 being a close second, and #2 being a distant third.
Rynnik
Nihimon
Giorgio

All of the above. Primarily #3, with #1 being a close second, and #2 being a distant third.
Meaningful choices.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Nihimon
Rynnik
Meaningful choices.

So, you disagree with Q when he says "Wizards need more ways to stay out of harms way"?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post