Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Dev Blog: Combat Updates for Early Enrollment v10.1

Phyllain
Elmin Sterro
I disagree about Wizard evasiveness for two reasons.

1: From a general design perspective, as resistance to physical attacks decreases evasiveness should increase to compensate. As the only combat class that wears cloth armor, Wizards should absolutely have evasive abilities.

The fact that mages are in cloth is irreverent. You are using wow thinking here. Instead you need to look at resistance provided and not care about what the armor is made from. Mages should have no more or less ability to escape danger then any other class. They just happen to have a massive hole in their defense when it comes to physical damage.

Should fighters and clerics in heavy armor with a massive hole in their energy resistance get something to let them ignore that? No they should not, and nether should mages.
Quijenoth
Stone Skin, wizard expendable, grants 100 physical resistance for a few rounds. once per combat cooldown.

Fire Shield, wizard expendable, grants 100 fire resistance for a few rounds. once per combat cooldown.

so many spells smile
I think it would be nice to have mechanics for the following.

Preparation buffs: buffs that last for the duration of combat, if you drop out of combat they fade. this is primarily of benefit to clerics who want to support their party instead of fight.

Trigger Buffs: buffs that have a triggered effect (for example contingency) that might trigger when conditions are met.

Battlefield spells: spells that are placed on the battlefield like traps (explosive runes) and may only be noticeable by detect magic.
Edam
Seems to me 100 resistance would just make you immune to that damage type, even against T3 weapons.
Quijenoth Starkiller
thats the idea if they had the tech to say "until its absorbed X amount" that would be useful too
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Elmin Sterro
Phyllain
Elmin Sterro
I disagree about Wizard evasiveness for two reasons.

1: From a general design perspective, as resistance to physical attacks decreases evasiveness should increase to compensate. As the only combat class that wears cloth armor, Wizards should absolutely have evasive abilities.

The fact that mages are in cloth is irreverent. You are using wow thinking here. Instead you need to look at resistance provided and not care about what the armor is made from. Mages should have no more or less ability to escape danger then any other class. They just happen to have a massive hole in their defense when it comes to physical damage.

Should fighters and clerics in heavy armor with a massive hole in their energy resistance get something to let them ignore that? No they should not, and nether should mages.

WoW did not originate the concept of more fragile characters having increased mobility and evasiveness. The point is, when your primary form of defense is not getting hit, it seems pretty reasonable to have more ways to not get hit.

Clerics have plenty of ways to get energy resistance in the form of numerous orisons, spells, and other class abilities. Both fighters and clerics have massive unconditional self heals, which are a foil to all damage types. Rogues have a foil to their physical vulnerability in the form of evades. Wizards should have some ability to actively mitigate their vulnerabilities, as every other role does.
Doc
Does Hydralic Push not count? It's basically an inverse of Evasion.
Elmin Sterro
Quijenoth
Stone Skin, wizard expendable, grants 100 physical resistance for a few rounds. once per combat cooldown.

Fire Shield, wizard expendable, grants 100 fire resistance for a few rounds. once per combat cooldown.

so many spells smile
I think it would be nice to have mechanics for the following.

Preparation buffs: buffs that last for the duration of combat, if you drop out of combat they fade. this is primarily of benefit to clerics who want to support their party instead of fight.

Trigger Buffs: buffs that have a triggered effect (for example contingency) that might trigger when conditions are met.

Battlefield spells: spells that are placed on the battlefield like traps (explosive runes) and may only be noticeable by detect magic.

Battlefield spells would be fantastic, but I think persistent effects are probably a ways out. I do recall seeing Wall spells in a spreadsheet a long long time ago, so I think they are on the agenda.
Nihimon
Doc

Evasion has a 12-second cooldown, and you don't have to have any gear equipped to get the full effect of the 20 meter Evade.

Hydraulic Push has a once-per-combat cooldown.

These are very significant differences.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Quijenoth Starkiller
Nihimon
Doc

Evasion has a 12-second cooldown, and you don't have to have any gear equipped to get the full effect of the 20 meter Evade.

Hydraulic Push has a once-per-combat cooldown.

These are very significant differences.

Evade 0.7 seconds, Hydraulic Push 1.1 seconds. May not seem like much but trust me it is.
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Elmin Sterro
Doc

It definitely does. I have been using both it and evasion since 10.1 released and it was made functional again. Based on the few nights of PvP I've been available for, Push does not seem to be as effective as Evasion. I think the core of the problem is that knockbacks don't push the target away, they move them some some direction for the specified distance. That direction is frequently to the side, making the effective knockback not very far.

I generally support adding more knockbacks as inverse evades, but If that is the solution we need a few more and they need to be dialed up a little bit. The vast majority of Wizard knockbacks are 10m or less, which is barely larger than melee range. Also, the majority of them are wand only.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post