Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Xp Reset

Elsworth Sugarfoot
I know this is an anathema to some people, but this latest balance pass hit certain players harder than others.

Personally, Elsworth now has about 2 months of xp invested into things that got nerfed or no longer perform the same use.

We all knew that these balance passes would come, but it's very depressing having so much dead xp on my favorite character.

I'm open to suggestions on the best way to achieve fairness here. I know some people were closer to tier 3 than I was, so it wouldn't be fair to them since I would just respec to get into tier 3 ASAP. Maybe if the reset were offered Jan 1st then I could keep playing in good faith that the xp I spend isn't wasted.

Also, I see a lot of positives in this last balance pass, but I still see holes in the different builds and skills that will likely be changed in the future, so I'm not eager to go spend months more xp on things that will be changed again.
Doc
I feel ya man, but you know how many folks would rage against it. I can't say I really understand why, the typical opposing arguments don't add up in my opinion. I feel like it really comes down to some kind of subconscious desire to see other players who don't choose more "pure" skills choices be punished in a way. There's definitely a lot of hate for respecs in this community, just mind-boggling to me.
Thod-Theodum
How do we veterans balance the following:

a) we tell new players starting now there isn't a problem to catch up as all they need is to start accumulating and after time x they are fully functional

b) we tell the devs repeatetly we need respecs as some of our XP is now wasted and we can only compete fairly if we have the option of a respec

It can't be that a) and b) applies at the same time. In the very worst case scenario where XP spend is 100% wasted we will start the same as a new player starting today. I say the theoretical worst case as in reality it will be difficult to waste XP 100%
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Giorgio
-1 Hell No to XP Refund/Respect
There are at least two active threads already disscuing this; why create a new one?
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Bringslite
Many are in that same boat. By the end of EE (assuming that most tweaking is finished then) we will be prime examples of the most inefficiently built characters possible in PfO. smile

We knew this was possible due to the nature of what EE was described as. It is totally different to know something intellectually and to live it realistically.

Some are very much ok with this as it is more about the journey and the RP quirks built from it. Kudos to you!

I would be pretty happy with a complete reset to the beginning (with all exp that I have earned, returned) once the major tweaking is finished. I wouldn't even balk at having to get the achieves all over again.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Memory-High Priest of Desna
not you too Elsie!

Yea, i'm a respec-denier. Partly because i'm not at all a min-maxxer and partly because i don't think it's really necessary. Sunrise, Sunset, Buffs, Nerfs, it's all the same. I see myself as being here to test the game, not to dominate it, so i don't really care if some nerf makes me weaker than i was before. I don't see it as unfair that i can't have the absolute best possible build. i mean, half my passive armor bonuses don't work right now. known bug. an expendable i have a 100% keyword match for isn't really effected by Epow/Epro. Known bug. My Domain just got Nerfed. some of the feats i need to fight at full capacity come with the risk of a bluescreen. known bug. I don't have anything to complain about because i don't consider any of that XP wasted. It's all going to come back around in the overall balance game. I just keep using it and soldier on. Now, if you shift your build drastically with every patch….you might be wasting XP. depends on your perspective. I recommend against it.

Stiff upper lip Shuggie. you'll be fine without a respec. Want me to come give you a hug?
Adventure Time with the High Priest of Desna, begins Tuesday 08/18 at 6:00pm EST (10:00 server time) at the Thornkeep Auction house. All new players welcome!

Official titles and Nicknames:
Spherewalker of Indor-Mardil, High Priest of Desna, Dreaden-appointed Forum Troll Extraordinaire, The Southern Speedster, Slinger of Stars, Newbie-Bear, Gutter of Golgothans, King of Kiters, Johnny Ustalavian-Seed, and Peaches.
Bringslite
Thod-Theodum
How do we veterans balance the following:

a) we tell new players starting now there isn't a problem to catch up as all they need is to start accumulating and after time x they are fully functional

b) we tell the devs repeatetly we need respecs as some of our XP is now wasted and we can only compete fairly if we have the option of a respec

It can't be that a) and b) applies at the same time. In the very worst case scenario where XP spend is 100% wasted we will start the same as a new player starting today. I say the theoretical worst case as in reality it will be difficult to waste XP 100%

I am not grasping how a) would change much at all if b) were granted. The entire idea of a) is true in any case. Players coming in will build their characters in the same manner: The most efficient way known at the time they come in.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Memory-High Priest of Desna
Brings:

I think he's trying to say that we've all got wasted XP, which serves to narrow the gap between us and new players. if we were suddenly all respec'd, knowing what we know now about how to optimize our builds, we'd be lightyears ahead of where we are. A) would still be true, but it would not look as amicable.
Adventure Time with the High Priest of Desna, begins Tuesday 08/18 at 6:00pm EST (10:00 server time) at the Thornkeep Auction house. All new players welcome!

Official titles and Nicknames:
Spherewalker of Indor-Mardil, High Priest of Desna, Dreaden-appointed Forum Troll Extraordinaire, The Southern Speedster, Slinger of Stars, Newbie-Bear, Gutter of Golgothans, King of Kiters, Johnny Ustalavian-Seed, and Peaches.
Thod-Theodum
Bringslite
I am not grasping how a) would change much at all if b) were granted. The entire idea of a) is true in any case. Players coming in will build their characters in the same manner: The most efficient way known at the time they come in.

It is the argument that b) is necessary to stay competitive that flies in the face of a)

Is b) a nice to have - certainly - is b) a necessary to have - only if a) is wrong.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
It's completely antithetical for us to tell new players they can catch up then ask for a chance to redeploy our XP. We're in early, and we're going to face a lot of bumps over it. I'd love the chance to rebuild characters, but I don't think we should be given such.

Now if GW wanted to give us a special category of testing character (a destiny's triplet, if you will) that lets us fool around with build that match our existing main, and goes away at OE, or even after 15 days, that might be interesting.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post