Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Xp Reset

Bringslite
Memory
Brings:

I think he's trying to say that we've all got wasted XP, which serves to narrow the gap between us and new players. if we were suddenly all respec'd, knowing what we know now about how to optimize our builds, we'd be lightyears ahead of where we are. A) would still be true, but it would not look as amicable.

Wouldn't new players that are coming in pretty much build their characters in the most efficient way, just like us? If so, the same rules as to how soon to be relevant, apply. Right?

When we tell them that they can be relevant in "X" days, we mean by building efficiently vs. veterans building efficiently. Not them building efficiently vs. veterans building crazy wasteful. That is not the metric to tell people that they can be quite useful because it is only true as long as those veterans are playing. It would not be true throughout the game's life span.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Memory-High Priest of Desna
Caldeathe,

i typically use the test server character i have for that.
Adventure Time with the High Priest of Desna, begins Tuesday 08/18 at 6:00pm EST (10:00 server time) at the Thornkeep Auction house. All new players welcome!

Official titles and Nicknames:
Spherewalker of Indor-Mardil, High Priest of Desna, Dreaden-appointed Forum Troll Extraordinaire, The Southern Speedster, Slinger of Stars, Newbie-Bear, Gutter of Golgothans, King of Kiters, Johnny Ustalavian-Seed, and Peaches.
Doc
a) we tell new players starting now there isn't a problem to catch up as all they need is to start accumulating and after time x they are fully functional

New players will have the advantage of features actually working, will hopefully be more set in stone, and game systems being adequately documented in-game how they work.

People also tell new players all the time to not spend their EXP, which is kinda laughable if you think about it. "Here, pay real money for this thing, but don't use it, because all of the terms and conditions could change whenever, might not actually work, or doesn't do what you think it does."
vyal
Memory
… if we were suddenly all respec'd, knowing what we know now about how to optimize our builds, we'd be lightyears ahead of where we are. …
Sounds good to me. I'd love to fix the mistakes I've made.

The current mechanic, to me, is: create a negative experience for your heavily invested veterans by repeatedly making massive balance changes ( while charging $15/month ) and prevent them from re-allocating XP in response to such massive changes.

Further, after OE:

Do the above and ensure it's done to the new players, after open enrollment, expanding the attack surface for the negative experience. This will continue to happen if nothing changes.

In the past, other games have done what GW did yesterday. In some examples, it entirely killed the game or caused a significant portion of players to simply walk away. (SWG NGE, AC2 combat tuning, EQ2 combat tuning)
It doesn't matter if it's pre-alpha, alpha, beta, pre-launch, or post-launch. When you're charging money, customers expect to be treated with respect.

Changing every feat in the game, +more, and not permitting players to retroactively adjust to such a change? I'm not personally feeling that huge hug of respect, at the moment. smile

Heck, charge RL $ for it if you want a cash infusion, or allow players to dump resources into a container to permit it in-game if you want a resource sink. Whatever it takes. But continue down this path, and history has demonstrated it's nothing but negative, for customers.
Elsworth Sugarfoot
I value a reset between $50-$100, but it would probably be more reasonable to ask $20 so as not to price people out.
Doc
I would pay $50 no hesitation.
Bringslite
More people posting illogically than I can keep up with <sigh>.

1). We tell perspective players and skeptics, as well, "With the exp system as is and the skill system, you can actually be very useful on day one. You can be a competitive 1 vs 1 player in a cpl months due to all of that and the expense of T3 gear, though the real measure is not 1 vs 1, it is settlement vs settlement." That is clearly how the system is designed.

2). We tell them that they can be relevant "soonish" because we are gimped due to many radical tweaks and changes. That is clearly how the system is designed.

Which is most true?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
vyal
Elsworth Sugarfoot
I value a reset between $50-$100, but it would probably be more reasonable to ask $20 so as not to price people out.
I suspect it would require a sliding scale, or sort of a … $ per thousand kind of thing.
Such as.. it's ~72k/month in XP gained for $15. To reset that, if you charged more than $15, it likely wouldn't go over well. So call it something like $2/10k reset as a minimum, up to maybe $4/10k reset as a max? I don't think people would tolerate paying double a monthly fee to reset a months worth of XP, but I could be wrong.

I mean, you could make it punitive, but probably fewer people would use it, IMHO.
Elsworth Sugarfoot
Just in cantrips I will no longer use:
Shadow blast (rank4)
Winters Caress (rank4)
Searing armor (rank4)
Explosive rune (rank4)
Wilting Surge (rank4)
Arctic Winds (rank5)

It's just a painful amount of xp to say goodbye to, not including some of the other things I use that got nerfed.
Bringslite
Elsworth Sugarfoot
Just I cantrips I will no longer use:
Shadow blast (rank4)
Winters Caress (rank4)
Searing armor (rank4)
Explosive rune (rank4)
Wilting Surge (rank4)
Arctic Winds (rank5)

It's just a painful amount of xp to say goodbye to, not including some of the other things I use that got nerfed.

There is also a tendency to want to over correct when your boat is heading in the wrong direction. The currents might bring you back on course if you let them help guide the boat.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post