Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Delete

Tyncale
Yeah, not only selling a MMO but also making a MMO for the first time is a risky undertaking for even the most succesful of gaming entrepreneurs.

However, I am still convinced that Lisa will be able to make sure that this does not end in total disaster for her business or Paizo: which means she is either already sharpening her Sword of Damocles to end this adventure, or she is comfortable in knowing that they can go on like this for at least another 3 years without too much financial sweating.

There will be no "magical" feature that, once it is implemented, will make the mmo-crowd flood these gates.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Caldeathe Baequiannia
@Zycor, I guess the question is, who are you trying to convince? Ryan and Lisa, between them, have been selling gaming products to the public for 30+ years. They probably know if they need to sell more subs right now, and whether dropping the price to do so has a high likelihood of accomplishing their goals.

Different platform. They could have been selling sandwiches for 30 years, now they are trying to sell pizza. Different market and tastes.
Everyone loves to think that they're favourite thing is a unique and special flower, but business analysts have proven time and time again that the basics are true across everything in a class. MMOs and Table-top games and Card Games are all in the same class of entertainment from disposable income.

One of those basics is that selling more at a lower price is rarely productive. Getting caught up in the Walmart death spiral of lower prices to move more product has driven more companies into bankruptcy than any other single factor in history, including companies that had existed for decades selling their product in small quantities at a premium and slowly growing their share.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Avari
Sorry was too lazy to read whole thread so maybe this was touched on.

I was one of the people who pushed hard for GW to drop the box price. That didn't increase the player base as i thought it might but I do believe it has at least helped keep the population somewhat stable. Dropping the box price was easy to do because almost everybody who had "bought" the box until that point was a kickstarter who got a bunch of other goodies.

Lowering the sub fee, even temporarily, IMHo , is much more complicated. GW's central profit model revolves around Xp =$$ and adjusting the value of the xp is a mess. First it cheapens the advancement of EE players in comparison to OE players who pay it more expensively. Second it's a major adjustment on all the pre-paid subs they have.

So again I go back to the point, if GW is not planning on a true marketing push until OE, then the only option left is to find a way to make EE fun right now for the population we have stagnated on for 9 months.

I have said time and again that waiting for X feature to make the game fun for you and make people pour into the game is a losing proposition. #gushers is just the new #raidable outposts and will only be replaced by #SAD mechanic. We already have 3 times the tools and 2 x the polish we had on day 1, I don't believe that is the issue.

The issue is an empty map, where even the largest groups log in to find nobody on half the time and less than 10 players within 6 hexes of them. I believe the answer to that is the current population must huddle into larger groups on a smaller map. We need to have fun with what we've got. If we can;t do that then we just twidlle our thumbs and wait for OE.
Edam
Avari
The issue is an empty map, where even the largest groups log in to find nobody on half the time and less than 10 players within 6 hexes of them. I believe the answer to that is the current population must huddle into larger groups on a smaller map. We need to have fun with what we've got. If we can;t do that then we just twidlle our thumbs and wait for OE.

I think part of that is just perception. There are no tools to indicate how many players have passed through a hex in the past hour or how many players are in your hex and adjoining ones.

In terms of safety from ganking it may be a good thing there are not. However it certainly leads to a perception that the map is empty when sometimes there may be someone gathering in the far corner of the hex you are in and a party of 4 or 5 running an escalation just one hex north. You have no way of knowing.

Just randomly partying up with people in your settlement teamspeak to see where they are on the map can give you a quite different perception of how busy the map is.
Gariwald
Last post, fake-trial-account finishing tomorrow.

You want to keep people in ? F2P for people not gaining XP, with attacking in PvP impossible.

Then, and that's THE petty trick, you give noobs the possibility to directly buy 6 months worth of XP, for a 150 bucks.

Once someone is 150$ deep in the game, even if it sucks hardcore, he ain't gonna leave easy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_aversion
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Gariwald
Last post, fake-trial-account finishing tomorrow.

You want to keep people in ? F2P for people not gaining XP, with attacking in PvP impossible.

Then, and that's THE petty trick, you give noobs the possibility to directly buy 6 months worth of XP, for a 150 bucks.

Once someone is 150$ deep in the game, even if it sucks hardcore, he ain't gonna leave easy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_aversion

150 / 6 = $25 month

How do you see that as an incentive?
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Tyncale
I think he means that they can buy bulk-XP at a somewhat greater cost, so they will feel that they can compete immediately instead of having to accumulate the xp over 6 months.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
PFOFIREFIGHTER
Tyncale
I think he means that they can buy bulk-XP at a somewhat greater cost, so they will feel that they can compete immediately instead of having to accumulate the xp over 6 months.
People get suckered into spending crazy cash before games come out, not a year later to try and catch up. Most folks want to be ahead of the curve and not spend hundreds of dollars just to get closer to the leaders. There are way too many competing games for that to ever work.

Also, where the hell has GW been all week?
Edam
PFOFIREFIGHTER
Also, where the hell has GW been all week?

Zombie Apocalypse ?
Tyncale
Probably some big changes coming. It's usually hard to keep pretending nothing is wrong with something like that, so less to no posting.

It's either that or just more amateur hour from GW: in this case, Community Managament.

There is simply no good excuse for such a long time without relevant dev-posting, especially when shit seems to be hitting the fan left and right and *especially* with an indy game in it's early development cycles that is supposed to be all about crowdforging and short communication lines between devs and players.

Or is this more like "we are such good friends, no need to talk all the time"?

In any case, I find it annoying. It's unprofessional and it scares me into thinking the axe may fall soon for this game. Bonny sucked as a Community Manager off course (lots of smilies and girly talk, not so much posting and involvement with the community, exept like 3 events) but surely there must be someone who can at least acknowledge our presence on a regular basis?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post