Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Attacking a Settlement Rewards

Malykaii
Decius
Why should destroying a settlement be a coin faucet?

Is it a coin faucet if the coin was already created?, or is it redistribution?

If it is settlement tax coin, it could go to the winning companies settlement tax vault, not the company. With the winning companies getting a small cut of it.

Do the Devs plan on making settlement sacking a company level event, or a settlement vs settlement event? ( I haven't been here long enough to understand this mechanic.)

I support the idea of a settlement raiding mechanic that doesn't destroy the losers ability to rebuild if the winners withdraw back to their Viking strongholds.
Rynnik
Someone who played the forum game and followed blogs before I did please comment:

Wasn't there some trophy mechanic that netted DI for settlements? IE big achievements like take a settlement would make your own settlement stronger in a currency such as DI?

Can't remember quite why that popped into my head reading this but I think there was something about it.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Nihimon
Rynnik
Someone who played the forum game and followed blogs before I did please comment:

Wasn't there some trophy mechanic that netted DI for settlements? IE big achievements like take a settlement would make your own settlement stronger in a currency such as DI?

Artifacts were supposed to be rewards for big Escalations, and would provide bonuses to Settlements. I think they were also meant to add the Artifact Keyword to a Tier 3 Mage Staff, so that you could match that Tier 3 Keyword regardless of whether you were using Intelligent or Extraplanar Cantrips.

See You Can Live in Grace and Comfort
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Dazyk of Phaeros
Decius

It isn't a faucet if the coin already exists in the game, it is just changing hands.

Edit to add: I agree, in general, with Q. I think it is a big mistake to put so much focus on the Settlement system. I can foresee huge player-rage when the first settlement(s) fall–settlements the players have spent up to a year building.
Dazyk Half-Elven, Elder of the Frozen Fingers, the shock- troops of Phaeros. If you are a fighter, cleric, or rogue, and enjoy battle, be it PVP or PVE, we are the company for you! We welcome role-players, casual gamers, and hardcore players alike.

Find your hidden strength, join the Frozen Fingers today!
Dazyk's PFO Resources Folder
Midnight
Dazyk of Phaeros
Decius

It isn't a faucet if the coin already exists in the game, it is just changing hands.

Edit to add: I agree, in general, with Q. I think it is a big mistake to put so much focus on the Settlement system. I can foresee huge player-rage when the first settlement(s) fall–settlements the players have spent up to a year building.

In Eve people lose player owned stations, as well as alliances losing control of outposts. While such losses do cause *some* players to quit, it more often causes players to rethink their allegiances. Eve has adjusted to losing bases so well that the term "evac" and "firesale" are commonly used terms.

The question is, will PFO players embrace such an adapt or die philosophy?
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Bringslite
+1 To an alternative other than "sack and burn".

It will be much more fun to "sack" every so often than to have the settlements disappear because they are abandoned. Only an aggressor or ally of theirs would build on the ruins close enough to such an active aggressor. Look at history. Complete destruction (though it did/does happen) was far less common than capture and set terms.

I like the idea that settlement taxes could be a reward. At least one possible problem: What do those funds become? Tax coin balance for the sacker? If that is made important (the coin) can it be gamed?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Edam
The biggest issue here ( as already stated) is that whilst the game mechanics point to the aettlements being little more than "property" of the companies in an alliance (much like a POS or even an entire SOV system in EVE) the landrush has led to many players being attached to their settlement as their central social construct.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post