Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Effect power vs. effect protection for dummies, please

tribuzio
I am constantly getting weird effects when I change equipment.

I was running around in T1 novitiate scale +3, evangelist feat 6, minor cure 2, acolyte elemental focus +2, other weapon slot empty, and lesser cure was healing 99 hp with each use, while channel was doing 199.

I have picked up and slotted a warden longbow +3 and suddenly my minor cure heal 157 hp and channel 227.

Why having a weapon empty slot or a T2 +3 bow change my healing?
It isn't the healing effect against the armor?

Similarly I have noticed that changing my armor (pioneer vs evangelist) has a very large effect on my damage with the Acolyte focus.
Sure the evangelist feat give a to hit bonus, but to the point of increasing damage by about 30%? (it is constant, not the effect of a critical hit)

So, there is a blog where this interaction is explained well? a guide for dummies?
Edam
No idea why slotting the longbow changed your healing that is rather odd.

With regard to the evangelist armor whether you do maximum damage or not is an opposed test of your DAB verus there defense. Perhaps the DAB bonus of the evangelist is getting you high enough to do max damage consistently.
Wolf of Rathglen
Lesser Cure and Channel Positive are based on your maximum possible hp, so when you change to armor that gives you more hp (or anything else that increases hp), the absolute valuee of the percentages rise. I agree with Edam how armor can increase your damage.

There is a thing called Margin of Failure (MoF) that is your total attack divided by their total defense (maximum possible value of 1.0). If your attack is 90 and their defense is 100, your MoF is 90/100 or .9 and that is multiplied by your damage done, meaning you only did 90% of possible damage for the atack. If your armor can add say 11 attack your MoF is 101/100 -but remember 1.0 is the maximum value- so yor damage is multiplied by 1; now you are not losing any potential damage due to low attack value.
Hammerfall: Like a waterfall, but tougher.
Stephen Cheney
Margin of Failure reduction is actually the square root of the miss amount x 6.3%. If you wanted to hit 100 and rolled a total of 90 (after bonuses), that miss by 10 would actually reduce your damage and most effects by 19.9%. Which is to say, even missing by a little can hurt your damage significantly, but missing by a lot doesn't have a linear relationship with missing by a little.

Hopefully soonish we'll be getting a feature change that will make EP more predictable and less confusing for beneficials. But, in the case described, the others are right that changes in the healing of Minor Cure and Channel Positive Energy are likely to do with changes in the maximum hit points of the player healed (since they both heal a percentage of maximum HP, rather than a fixed amount).
tribuzio
Proxima Sin
Lesser Cure and Channel Positive are based on your maximum possible hp, so when you change to armor that gives you more hp (or anything else that increases hp), the absolute valuee of the percentages rise.

Stephen Cheney
Margin of Failure reduction is actually the square root of the miss amount x 6.3%. If you wanted to hit 100 and rolled a total of 90 (after bonuses), that miss by 10 would actually reduce your damage and most effects by 19.9%. Which is to say, even missing by a little can hurt your damage significantly, but missing by a lot doesn't have a linear relationship with missing by a little.

Hopefully soonish we'll be getting a feature change that will make EP more predictable and less confusing for beneficials. But, in the case described, the others are right that changes in the healing of Minor Cure and Channel Positive Energy are likely to do with changes in the maximum hit points of the player healed (since they both heal a percentage of maximum HP, rather than a fixed amount).

A bow isn't armor, so it don't change my HP. So why equipping one would change the effect of my cures? I was still wearing the same armor, with the same armor feat.

The only thing that has changed between healing 99 and 157 with minor cure was having a the secondary weapon slot empty and having it filled with a T2 +3 bow.
tribuzio
My main question is what affect what.

From my experience adding a weapon to my equipped items has increased my healing output, so it has affected how my non attack abilities work.

It is a intended behavior?

Wearing T1 +0 or T2 +0 ring, necklaces, etc, affect my abilities?

tribuzio
After some testing, it seem that the system hadn't completely recognized a change of the armor feat until I equipped the bow.

Weird.

I am trying to reproduce this bug while frapping it, obviously it won't collaborate.

I think it was using the effect protection of the novitiate scale +3 with the Evangelist feat (armor and feat I was using) wile still using the lower number of hp of the pioneer armor. HP 1160 vs 875 = 1.325, healing 157/99 = 1.5858, the 20% difference can be the EProt?

It wouldn't be the first time I see a feat not working properly. The problem is trying to discover why.
Edam
tribuzio

Rings, Necklaces etc will effect utilities like Evade and Channel Positive. To have an effect you need to match keywords on the rings etc to keywords for your current rank of utility.

There was a bug that seemed to need you to equip at least one glove or boot utility even though that should only matter when you get all the way to Rank 4 and Masterwork. No idea if that bug has been fixed or not.
tribuzio
Edam
tribuzio

Rings, Necklaces etc will effect utilities like Evade and Channel Positive. To have an effect you need to match keywords on the rings etc to keywords for your current rank of utility.

My problem is that, AFAIK, they should only "effect utilities like Evade and Channel Positive" but I recall a discussion about having all your gear at the same approximate level and that if you were wearing a T1 item and a T2 item there was a reduced effect for the T2 item.

From what I gathered, it was an attempt to reduce the risk of people going around PKing in cheap or no armor while wielding a single good weapon.
No idea if that was implemented or not.
Edam
tribuzio
Edam
tribuzio

My problem is that, AFAIK, they should only "effect utilities like Evade and Channel Positive" but I recall a discussion about having all your gear at the same approximate level and that if you were wearing a T1 item and a T2 item there was a reduced effect for the T2 item.

From what I gathered, it was an attempt to reduce the risk of people going around PKing in cheap or no armor while wielding a single good weapon.
No idea if that was implemented or not.

Well with EPOW/EPRO T1 buffs will have less effect if you are wearing T2 armor. Casting a level 1 wizard buff on yourself like Speed is likely to have no effect at all if you are wearing T2+3 armor for example. I assume that applies to weapons as well, if you hit a target wearing T2+3 armor with a rank one attack its unlikely any debuffs will stick. I am not sure how it effects damage.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post