Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Targeting idea.

Malykaii

1. I would like to have everything other than monsters and red PvP targets removed from the tab target list.
I can click target everything else.

To me, this seems like the easiest fix. It preserves most of the difficulty in targeting hostiles. You either click target them, or tab through the list without targeting nodes or other static objects

2. I would like the ability, (via a second keystroke), to target the closest hostile target.

This would allow you to reset the tab list to the closest, most dangerous target when threatened.

In full disclosure, I play a ranged Archer/Cleric so this post is totaly self serving.smile
Memory-High Priest of Desna
vyal
In order to remove focus fire as the most effect pvp strategy (which has been true, for me, with every game that has click targeting, tab targeting, /assist, /target, IRC, in-game communications, mumble, teamspeak, or ventrilo) you have a few possible paths forward, maybe?
-change pvp to consensual only
-enforce scenarios & situations with limited combatants (which is just reducing the problem, not eliminating it)
-contrive mechanics whereby health pools are shared (formations? again, just a reduction, not elimination)
-restrict, in some arbitrary way, target changes, temporally
-obfuscate or randomize target appearance & location per client/player

I'm not sure very many of these would be well received, given /target, /assist and many other mechanics have existed in many other games with PvP for years, without "ending the world", so to speak. All they do is lower the barrier to entry so less experienced players can contribute to the zerg/blob.

agreed, that list is pretty much anathema to a sandbox environment, with the exception of the health pooling formations which we know are coming. Do you think Formations will largely solve the clunky targeting?

Malykaii
In full disclosure, I play a ranged Archer/Cleric so this post is totaly self serving.smile

90% of posts in Crowdforging can be distilled to "buff everything i do, nerf everything everybody else does." don't feel bad. it practically can't be helped. we all have perceptions about how the game would work best based on our own playstyle. Melee guys want tab targeting to be taken out because it helps then get around the battlefield without being focus fired. Archers want to be able to target things instantly because it simplifies their DPS. Wizards want you to only be able to target people on the front lines because they don't want to get melted.

Nothing wrong with that mentality, because it's understandable.
Adventure Time with the High Priest of Desna, begins Tuesday 08/18 at 6:00pm EST (10:00 server time) at the Thornkeep Auction house. All new players welcome!

Official titles and Nicknames:
Spherewalker of Indor-Mardil, High Priest of Desna, Dreaden-appointed Forum Troll Extraordinaire, The Southern Speedster, Slinger of Stars, Newbie-Bear, Gutter of Golgothans, King of Kiters, Johnny Ustalavian-Seed, and Peaches.
Nihimon
Memory
I once played a title which i will not name where the fighter/melee types had an ability that could hijack your targeting and force you to target them. sort of like a "provoke" but for pvp. it was ENDLESSLY infuriating, but i can see the logic behind it. Would Nihimon be intrigued if something like that were introduced?

Yes. I think I even proposed something like this a few years ago on the Paizo forums.

In some ways, it boils down to feeling like there ought to be some benefit to having your attacker targeted, with a corresponding detriment if you don't. In my mind, it represents you being focused on and aware of your attacker's actions, and therefore better able to deal with them.

I'm not sure a force-target option is the right choice. Maybe a mechanic that makes it costly to not target that lady with the giant sword standing right next to you.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Nihimon
Malykaii
1. I would like to have everything other than monsters and red PvP targets removed from the tab target list.
2. I would like the ability, (via a second keystroke), to target the closest hostile target.

+eleventybillion. For the eleventybillionth time.
Nihimon
I'm not sure a force-target option is the right choice. Maybe a mechanic that makes it costly to not target that lady with the giant sword standing right next to you.

i'm not sure that works either. under that system, wouldn't it be just as costly for you to not be targeting the wizard firing the deathray at you from 25m away?
Adventure Time with the High Priest of Desna, begins Tuesday 08/18 at 6:00pm EST (10:00 server time) at the Thornkeep Auction house. All new players welcome!

Spherewalker of Indor-Mardil, High Priest of Desna, Dreaden-appointed Forum Troll Extraordinaire, The Southern Speedster, Slinger of Stars, Newbie-Bear, Gutter of Golgothans, King of Kiters, Johnny Ustalavian-Seed, and Peaches.
Nihimon
Memory
Nihimon

i'm not sure that works either. under that system, wouldn't it be just as costly for you to not be targeting the wizard firing the deathray at you from 25m away?

Yes, but I think that's right. Of course, I also think it's right that we should be able to train Feats that let us "focus on and be aware of" more than one target at a time, so using the "target" isn't really the right way to accomplish it. There should probably be a "target for attacks", and then zero or more "watched targets".

But we're starting to get extremely speculative here. It's fun to talk about, but I'm doubtful it'll make much impact on the devs at this point.
vyal
Memory
… Do you think Formations will largely solve the clunky targeting?
Clunky UI or not, Formations/health pooling simply shifts the current focus fire problem to a squad leaders instead of individual combatants, in my opinion. It will still happen, it'll just require squad leader co-ordination instead of individual co-ordination.
vyal
Memory
… Do you think Formations will largely solve the clunky targeting?
Clunky UI or not, Formations/health pooling simply shifts the current focus fire problem to a squad leaders instead of individual combatants, in my opinion. It will still happen, it'll just require squad leader co-ordination instead of individual co-ordination.

which is i think is intended to be Ok, since the TTK should be relatively more manageable. also, much easier to target a formation than a single individual character.

Zax
Malykaii

+1
Edam
The way they handle squishies in a health pooled formation is going to be interesting.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post