Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

First 2 weeks (more things to do)

Elsworth Sugarfoot
First, I think the free trial should be for a month. As I've said in another thread that is about where players achieve tier2 and so will be ready to sub and feel competitive.

Second, we as players and devs both need to focus on this first month of play. After you spend that first 1k xp it doesn't feel like there's much to do. You can go on repetitive gathering missions, or be a tag along in PvE, but in my opinion this doesn't really hook many people.

As one of the leaders of Nightcrawlers I always try and get our new recruits into PvP asap. We came up with a beginner build that allowed them to contribute to the group day 1. Then we take them out and try to find someone to kill.

Twice I have had a new player looting a husk within hours of starting the game. This kind of thing really hooks people. Both players continue to sub to this day. 1 is Zycor who now has multiple characters, is trying to get a settlement, and has tried to pull several of his friends into the game, but it's hard to get people to stick around with no action for 23 hours a day.

There needs to be more ways for these new accounts to contribute to their alliance, and feel like they are increasing their characters power. I'd like to use this thread to brainstorm things to do so we can get more people hooked in their first few weeks.
Baron Malthius
First, +1 for extending the free trial to a month.

I think there needs to be a balance between all the activities, and really just more of them. This goes for PvP and PvE. There just needs to be more things to do between PvP bouts or while trying to get those achievement gates. If there's nothing to do, everything loses momentum, the game gets stale, and then people pack their bags and go elsewhere.

For PvE, we need to see those monthly events and such that we were told would happen. We're still waiting on the next one. It also gives us PvPers something else to fight over. It would also give bandits a reason to go out and hunt for loot from others (honorably I would hope). Perhaps bump up dungeons to a higher priority maybe have a dungeon design contest every season or something and the winner gets implemented (with some changes and whatnot). Maybe put something in Emerald Spire for people to do over there. It would give places like Emerald Lodge more traffic for one thing, and make the world begin to feel more like Pathfinder.

We also need more PvP outlets, and make the existing ones have more depth. As much as I enjoy Blob 1 vs. Blob 2 type battles, I am hoping that down the road we will see more depth in our tactical and strategic options. I'm king of hoping that down the line this will be more like a full fledged wargame, except instead of building and controlling entire armies you are one soldier/leader in said army. The foundations for it are there, particularly on the tactical side in a given battle. However, there needs to be more depth on a strategic level as well. I think having that would also add more purpose not just for PvP folks but everyone else. It would be kind of like when you get attached or stay a while at a particular town or settlement for some of your adventures.

Factions I think will be a huge help with more PvP as well, in addition that too will add more of a sense of belonging that is related to Pathfinder content.

I'm hoping with the new settlement stuff coming in EE11 it will make us all feel a lot more invested in our home settlements and bring everyone in their settlements closer together. After that though, focus on more content. Get the factions in, get back to releasing monthly events that we were told would happen by now, get the deities and alignment implemented.

In short, put more of the Pathfinder in Pathfinder Online.
Thorgrim Foegrinder
We try to get them involved in the community. We're always on TeamSpeak, and we even have a Facebook group. We're also starting up some Roll20 games.

While the game is in development, meta-game community is what I've seen keeps people around. Whenever there's a big patch that comes out and new features are added or old features get better, there's a spike in player activity, but the real long term retention is done through community.
[Sylva] is the premier Nature based settlement in Pathfinder Online. We're a family that has come together through the game, and we're one of the most active settlements currently. We have a solid roleplaying foundation and are a home to those who both love and hate PvP.

[The Seventh Veil] is a meta-game group with members in several different settlements. We've created many guides and spreadsheets for the game that are referenced by hundreds of players on a daily basis and we maintain multiple websites like [Goblinary.com], [The Storehouse], and [The Unofficial PFO Atlas] to make information more readily available. The Seventh Veil promotes positive game play at all times.
Baron Malthius
Thorgrim Foegrinder
While the game is in development, meta-game community is what I've seen keeps people around. Whenever there's a big patch that comes out and new features are added or old features get better, there's a spike in player activity, but the real long term retention is done through community.

Yeah I totally agree with that. The people you play with will always be the most important part of any game you play. Player churn is definitely something to be avoided when possible.

Once the game gets closer to OE though, it will also require a somewhat steady stream of new players coming in. Right now, after the spikes of player activity or new player signup simmer down, the well dries up again. This is something we can afford while some of the major features are getting put into the game. Later on, once most of those features get implemented, we need a consistent flow of new players alongside a good community to keep them. If that can be done then things pick up, word spreads, and the game can start building up momentum.
Elsworth Sugarfoot
You have a lot of people in your community who don't play the game that much. The point is getting them to play.
Elmin Sterro
Elsworth Sugarfoot
First, I think the free trial should be for a month. As I've said in another thread that is about where players achieve tier2 and so will be ready to sub and feel competitive.

Second, we as players and devs both need to focus on this first month of play. After you spend that first 1k xp it doesn't feel like there's much to do. You can go on repetitive gathering missions, or be a tag along in PvE, but in my opinion this doesn't really hook many people.

As one of the leaders of Nightcrawlers I always try and get our new recruits into PvP asap. We came up with a beginner build that allowed them to contribute to the group day 1. Then we take them out and try to find someone to kill.

Twice I have had a new player looting a husk within hours of starting the game. This kind of thing really hooks people. Both players continue to sub to this day. 1 is Zycor who now has multiple characters, is trying to get a settlement, and has tried to pull several of his friends into the game, but it's hard to get people to stick around with no action for 23 hours a day.

There needs to be more ways for these new accounts to contribute to their alliance, and feel like they are increasing their characters power. I'd like to use this thread to brainstorm things to do so we can get more people hooked in their first few weeks.

I think a longer trial is a good idea, but I don't this it should quite extend into T2. The trial should last just long enough that a new player gets to the cusp of T2 and then needs to subscribe to progress. That way you prevent most possible exploitation of trial accounts, and add a big incentive to start subscribing right as the trial is ending.
Elsworth Sugarfoot
I don't really see a very high risk of exploit if people can use Tier 2 for a week before the sub runs out. They won't be that effective unless they're all greatsword clerics :p
Smitty
/// think these need to be addressed by devs next in order to help ..

Haven’t heard about the wall or the board in a bit,
Probably full of settlement stuff- which should give the PvP folks plenty to focus on for the upcoming months.

Where you guys need to focus your efforts next..( my opinion)
Combat logs analytics etc.. when people hit something they expect that to show somewhere in chat windows.. if will need a filter to hide that stuff because some people find it annoying while others find it valuable, perhaps dedicate on chat window for it. Need to know combat stuff, what you picked up, looted etc .. logs are boring but expected.
Bank UI sorting, this existed prior to company vaults ( at least a little bit of sorting was allowed) It disappeared and never came back.
Tab Stops for password/ log in- on the log in screen put tab stops in, can’t emphasize how amateur it looks/feels to not include that on the log in screen. ( haven’t tested recently if you guys did include it good job .. if not do it)
Monster AI- I feel the AI is something that needs updated and soon , PvE is horrible and usually the first impression of the game, updating it will make anything you do in the future much better (elemental s look great, but beyond the first attack act like every other wolf , ogre bandit , goblin etc….).
1. AI includes effects working on mobs and not just players, how can you explain to a new guy well these things affect players, but not mobs, how are they suppose to test out all the combos and abilities if they don’t work on the things they are suppose to start killing right away.
2. Give monsters the ability to wander.
3. Get the monsters to react to surroundings , look at agro, currently every escalation can be done in the same manner, kill range guys, reset, circle kit if you get agro and have folks kill the ones chasing the guy kiting. Have the ability to summon help from nearby or just make the fights interesting.
Elsworth Sugarfoot
Smitty
/// think these need to be addressed by devs next in order to help ..
Tab Stops for password/ log in- on the log in screen put tab stops in, can’t emphasize how amateur it looks/feels to not include that on the log in screen. ( haven’t tested recently if you guys did include it good job .. if not do it)

Monster AI- I feel the AI is something that needs updated and soon , PvE is horrible and usually the first impression of the game, updating it will make anything you do in the future much better (elemental s look great, but beyond the first attack act like every other wolf , ogre bandit , goblin etc….).
1. AI includes effects working on mobs and not just players, how can you explain to a new guy well these things affect players, but not mobs, how are they suppose to test out all the combos and abilities if they don’t work on the things they are suppose to start killing right away.
2. Give monsters the ability to wander.
3. Get the monsters to react to surroundings , look at agro, currently every escalation can be done in the same manner, kill range guys, reset, circle kit if you get agro and have folks kill the ones chasing the guy kiting. Have the ability to summon help from nearby or just make the fights interesting.

Ok a few of things things I consider just polish and not actually things to do (like combat logs). The TAB thing is real though. I had one player tell me, "I knew I wasn't going to like this game as soon as I couldn't TAB in the login screen."

Monster AI and PvE could use a lot of improvement including pathing/wandering/etc. For sure.

Combat animations and sound effects need diversity and responsiveness. Yes.

But really their needs to be more events and activities in game to get the players interacting. More ways for new players to contribute. Not more polish on the UI (although I agree it needs it). I really want this thread to be about ideas for things new players can do, rather than "what needs to be implemented next."

For example if holdings were raid-able, a new player could lead a mule and fill it up with valuable stuff. That would make them feel like they are contributing to their alliance.
Baron Malthius
Elsworth Sugarfoot
For example if holdings were raid-able, a new player could lead a mule and fill it up with valuable stuff. That would make them feel like they are contributing to their alliance.

I like the idea, but how would it work with the current holding mechanics? How would someone get past the guards without starting an all out feud? Would there be some other way to do just a raid as opposed to holding takeover/destruction?

I would imagine I'd want it to be something that allows a small warband to disrupt the supply line or steal things if they can defeat the holding guards or something. How could this be done?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post