Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Whither PFO?

Lucius
I'd reckon the mistake boat has officially sailed awhile ago now, but as they say, sh*t happens, it's more about fixing what we got and that sure as hell may take some time. How much they willing to risk in the meantime? They need to be upfront about the goals so folk know whether to come or go, that's all that matters.

This early access/early enrollment/alpha/beta/etc… thing ain't exactly for the impatient sort.
Doc
BUT i would just focus on the players again, like we did before holdings..

Most likely, Step 2 would be to eliminate random PvP. Factions will be given as a token offering, but watch as nobody but people who already want to do random PvP join the Factions, so the same amount of random PvP will still probably occcur, which is to say very little.
Just Dak
I am actually fine with a cost for attackers. Resources, reciprocal vulnerability, longer windows, coin, whatever. Making it harder grind wise is at least personally acceptable.

Limiting everything down to three days is what will drive me, and likely players like me, away.
Give me a reasonable despot any day. Someone that constantly reminds everyone that they are virtuous and honorable can not be trusted to be either. If you are good we will know by your deeds, if you are reasonable we will know by our deals.
Nihimon
I never asked for Goblinworks to make it so you can't attack us. What I'm asking for is that you suffer something meaningful when we defeat you every single night for a week. Because that's what they promised.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Just Dak
Nihimon
I never asked for Goblinworks to make it so you can't attack us. What I'm asking for is that you suffer something meaningful when we defeat you every single night for a week. Because that's what they promised.

Take a quick breath and count to ten.

Now read me carefully. I am not saying you advocated for that (That part of my replies is directed at the dev post), and I am instead saying I am not against the proposal of attacker cost.
Give me a reasonable despot any day. Someone that constantly reminds everyone that they are virtuous and honorable can not be trusted to be either. If you are good we will know by your deeds, if you are reasonable we will know by our deals.
Doc
Who gets to determine what is meaningful?

Why are holdings not considered meaningful losses?
Nihimon
Just Dak

Wasn't replying to you, Charlie.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Nihimon
Or: Where Is This Going?

I'm starting a new thread on the unlikely chance that no one from Goblinworks has seen any of my recent posts. I expect that Goblinworks just isn't interested in responding.

Is PFO trying to be a game that reintroduces meaningful PvP to an audience that has largely rejected it, in a way that's not only palatable but enjoyable to them? Or is PFO just another PvP Sandbox?

From the beginning, I've believed it was the former. That's the special thing that made PFO different, and worth my time and money. I saw the potential of the War of Towers and Holding Warfare to channel the actions of hardcore PvPers into something more meaningful that would actually appeal to that more mainstream audience that had rejected PvP. But there were supposed to be some very specific things that kept it from getting out of control, such as the aggressors putting their own Holdings at risk when they launched attacks, and a Feud Cooldown that would keep the same attackers from being able to constantly Feud the same defenders. The state of the design currently is that both of those constraints are so easily bypassed that they are utterly meaningless.

So, is PFO moving in the direction you want it to? Are the constant attacks something we should expect long-term? Will we ever have the opportunity to exploit our attacker's vulnerability when we can actually play?

I'd really appreciate it if EoX and EBA would avoid piling onto this thread and actually give Goblinworks and the rest of the community an opportunity to be heard.

I honestly believe that the premise that there is a large audience of non PvPers that needs to be reintroduced to PvP, so that they may grow to like it, in an Open World PvP Sandbox MMO is where the vision of PFO is failing. Ryan is essentially targeting a small niche within a moderate niche in a larger niche. At the same time if having sypuch a small sliver of a target audience, GW has tried to build this game "on the cheap", and every aspect of the game reflects that. Worse still, the game play is unimaginative, boring, tedious and confusing. These descriptors are not just my opinion, they are the words most commonly used by trial account players who have declined to subscribe to the game.

At some point GW has to accept that idea that their vision has failed. They have to change the direction and even the end goal, plus renegotiate on sone of the promises made, in a desperate attempt to attract new subs.

At some point GW must:

1. Update the game engine - even if that means near complete revamps.

2. Reevaluate their idea of what MVP actually is. It is nit what minimum they think they can do, but what minimum players are willing to pay for.

3. There start point of development has to recognize that advances in development and expectations have evolved over the past 6 - 10 years. If the start point is at 2009, even if the OE begins in 2016 the game will still look 6-8 years old.

4. Consider the possibility that a complete revamp and reset may be required to "relaunch" for OE. Worrying that you may lose a few hundred over a broken promise, may be offset by hopefully thousands that will see a more viable game.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Dreaden
We do, influence and gear. Both take real time to accumulate, thus meaningful loss. It's hardly our fault you cannot muster troops to attack our holdings while they are open. It would be unfair of us to have all the PvP windows during NA prime time, our euro players want a chance at some action as well.
Just Dak
Nihimon
Just Dak

Wasn't replying to you, Charlie.
Oops! Oksmile

Carry on, Carry on.

Was hard to tell without a quote portion.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post