Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Whither PFO?

Just Dak
Gaskon
I want a game where settlements A, B, C, D, E can all exist, can have complicated rivalries and can compete over objectives.
I want A and B to have a week-long fight over a coal mine that results in A being able to manufacture armor more cheaply.
I want C and D to engage in long-term economic warfare by moving goods across the map to generate value.
I want E to make raids on D's caravans that cost them 10-20% of their profits.
I want B and D to have a three month-long war that finally ends when D surrenders, and gives B a weekly tribute of 100 units of gold.
That's what was described in the kickstarter.

What I don't want is the current situation:
A attacks 1 tower in a single hour-long battle, therefore B flips out and starts killing all their gatherers.

Without limits on warfare, there is no opportunity for conflict resolution, there is simply eternal conflict.

There is a conflict resolution in that scenario. A makes agreement with B not to take a single objective. Diplomacy is handled in the meta.(
Give me a reasonable despot any day. Someone that constantly reminds everyone that they are virtuous and honorable can not be trusted to be either. If you are good we will know by your deeds, if you are reasonable we will know by our deals.
Memory-High Priest of Desna
Gaskon
Without limits on warfare, there is no opportunity for conflict resolution, there is simply eternal conflict.

see a reply i made to one of your other posts. diplomacy makes everything you stated possible in the current system. Sometimes, sides don't want to engage in diplomacy over personal enmity. It's regrettable, but it's part of the game. Diplomacy is required to moderate conflicts, not hard-coded rubber bumpers to keep us from hurting eachother.
Adventure Time with the High Priest of Desna, begins Tuesday 08/18 at 6:00pm EST (10:00 server time) at the Thornkeep Auction house. All new players welcome!

Official titles and Nicknames:
Spherewalker of Indor-Mardil, High Priest of Desna, Dreaden-appointed Forum Troll Extraordinaire, The Southern Speedster, Slinger of Stars, Newbie-Bear, Gutter of Golgothans, King of Kiters, Johnny Ustalavian-Seed, and Peaches.
Dreaden
Memory
Gaskon

see a reply i made to one of your other posts. diplomacy makes everything you stated possible in the current system. Sometimes, sides don't want to engage in diplomacy over personal enmity. It's regrettable, but it's part of the game. Diplomacy is required to moderate conflicts, not hard-coded rubber bumpers to keep us from hurting eachother.
You're making too much sense and it's making me despise you less. Stop it.
Baron Malthius
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Regarding how to start fixing PvP, make Factions a higher priority, or something akin to it. It doesn't even have to be Factions per se, just have some other in game form of PvP outside of the current system to have a second outlet. It has the possibility of engaging a lot more players than just the usual alliances, and for those who just wanna PvP for its own sake you aren't bound by the usual things like feuding, PvP windows, or even having to take any objectives in particular.

Other PvP outlets really need to be higher on the priority list. That's my opinion.

Of course, this once again depends on what the devs have to say regarding Nihimon's question in the first place. I am kind of making this opinion under some of the same assumptions Nihimon has. I want more PvP in this game, I do enjoy it, but as I always say, there needs to be enough depth to keep me hooked and it needs to have real meaning and a lasting impact, and that's where I want to know what the answer is to this.
Gaskon
Memory
[see a reply i made to one of your other posts. diplomacy makes everything you stated possible in the current system. Sometimes, sides don't want to engage in diplomacy over personal enmity. It's regrettable, but it's part of the game. Diplomacy is required to moderate conflicts, not hard-coded rubber bumpers to keep us from hurting eachother.

I mostly agree with you.
And I don't think anyone currently leading a settlement is a unreasonable person. I'm currently inactive, but the leadership of Forgeholm pretty easily got us back to a peaceful co-existence status with EoX. The diplomacy works.

My problem is that currently in PFO, its pretty easy to be in one of two states:
1) Zero PVP: this is Forgeholm. We don't attack anyone, no one attacks us.
2) Forever War: EoX vs Phaeros. Neither side is gonna stop until the other side disbands.

However, there is no opportunity for some limited warfare that might have a foreseeable resolution.
If a Forgeholm company wants to get into some occasional PVP, try out some builds and tactics, test the holding capture mechanics, we have no opportunity to do so that won't result in all out total war.
There is no middle ground between opting out completely, and starting a world war.

That middle ground is exactly the game I'd like to play.

I don't want to just sit in the mountains crafting, and I don't want to be required to defend 18 outposts for an hour a night every single night. I want some evenly matched, small-group PVP over limited territorial objectives.

I'm going back to lurking, and reading the patch notes. If PFO can't be the game I thought it might be based on the kickstarter campaign, that's okay. I have lots of other entertainment options that I'm very happy with.

I just wanted to take an opportunity to express to Goblinworks that there are quite a few current inactive subscribers that would like to see game mechanics facilitate "limited warfare" instead of all or nothing conflicts.
Doc
If a Forgeholm company wants to get into some occasional PVP, try out some builds and tactics, test the holding capture mechanics, we have no opportunity to do so that won't result in all out total war.
There is no middle ground between opting out completely, and starting a world war.

There totally is.

IIRC Bringslite had been in talks with EoX about allowing and limiting some kind of 10v10 PvP warfare.

And I personally made a Banditry agreement experiment with Bringslite to engage in banditry up north last month while under pre-arranged limitations and conditions. They all told me they enjoyed the experience, as I tried real hard to keep it a positive and educational thing.
Gaskon
That middle ground is exactly the game I'd like to play.

I don't want to just sit in the mountains crafting, and I don't want to be required to defend 18 outposts for an hour a night every single night. I want some evenly matched, small-group PVP over limited territorial objectives.
pre-arranged organization on that level is never going to happen between settlements that are actually in conflict with eachother. nor should it. but there is such a thing as smaller-scale opt-in PVP. there is such a thing as getting involved in battles, attacking other settlements, and generating PVP content for your settlement without breaking out full scale foreverwar. you're generalizing too much by not paying attention to some of the outliers in the world Like Duffy. The AL and the Hopes End mercenaries have, thus far, achieved exactly what you say is impossible. They get involved in PVP when it is profitable and when they are asked to, and do not remain chained to long-term political wrangling in exchange for that involvement.

TLDR: start a merc company. the folks fighting in the foreverwar will gladly hire you.
Adventure Time with the High Priest of Desna, begins Tuesday 08/18 at 6:00pm EST (10:00 server time) at the Thornkeep Auction house. All new players welcome!

Spherewalker of Indor-Mardil, High Priest of Desna, Dreaden-appointed Forum Troll Extraordinaire, The Southern Speedster, Slinger of Stars, Newbie-Bear, Gutter of Golgothans, King of Kiters, Johnny Ustalavian-Seed, and Peaches.
Mistwalker
Gaskon
However, there is no opportunity for some limited warfare that might have a foreseeable resolution.

You could try the diplomacy route - that is, talk to the settlement you think would provide a good match for PvP. You should be able to arrange for a small scale conflict that shouldn't escalate into a full war.
Doc
They get involved in PVP when it is profitable and when they are asked to, and do not remain chained to long-term political wrangling in exchange for that involvement.

TLDR: start a merc company. the folks fighting in the foreverwar will gladly hire you.

eh, from my perspective that is only a role play thing. The de facto situation looks much different from some angles.
Doc
eh, from my perspective that is only a role play thing. The de facto situation looks much different from some angles.

i guess we just have to see how diplomatic duffy really is in the end then :-p

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post