Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Whither PFO?

Edam
Memory
Doc
eh, from my perspective that is only a role play thing. The de facto situation looks much different from some angles.

i guess we just have to see how diplomatic duffy really is in the end then :-p

Playing a mercenary when much of the server see it as very much a red versus blue world and just play capture the flag is going to be tricky but he may pull it off. Will be a good thing for the game if he can make it work.
Doc
i guess we just have to see how diplomatic duffy really is in the end then :-p

When you only fight for one side, you're not a merc settlement. It's just a meta-shield to try to prevent a small group from getting rolled because "hey we're neutral!".

I've always been treated as a member of EoX even though AGC was demoted to "resident" status because we wanted to operate independently inside of the empire area. Which was fine, their settlements, their call. But because I always fought with EoX (why wouldn't I it's not like have a settlement of my own to determine my own destiny and I needed to defend my ability to train) I'm treated as just EoX. I guess I am now anyhow, they're all my friends now anyway, and I have no more delusions of trying to scrape together a neutral settlement any longer.

So, by going off that same line of reasoning AL could be considered no more neutral than myself or AGC was, and is de facto just a part of EBA. I really don't think the merc settlement thing could ever really work.
Zycor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWG_NfCWCOc

Don't fall off your path.
Elsworth Sugarfoot
Nihimon
Is PFO trying to be a game that reintroduces meaningful PvP to an audience that has largely rejected it, in a way that's not only palatable but enjoyable to them? Or is PFO just another PvP Sandbox?

From the beginning, I've believed it was the former. That's the special thing that made PFO different, and worth my time and money. I saw the potential of the War of Towers and Holding Warfare to channel the actions of hardcore PvPers into something more meaningful that would actually appeal to that more mainstream audience that had rejected PvP. But there were supposed to be some very specific things that kept it from getting out of control, such as the aggressors putting their own Holdings at risk when they launched attacks, and a Feud Cooldown that would keep the same attackers from being able to constantly Feud the same defenders. The state of the design currently is that both of those constraints are so easily bypassed that they are utterly meaningless.

So, is PFO moving in the direction you want it to? Are the constant attacks something we should expect long-term? Will we ever have the opportunity to exploit our attacker's vulnerability when we can actually play?

What does this holy grail of "meaningful pvp" look like?

You know what kind of PvP is palatable and enjoyable to people who don't pvp? The kind where you don't die.

All I see here is that you guys don't want to be attacked as much as you are getting attacked (no searching for solutions outside of asking devs to stop us).

1 hour per day is too much to defend yourselves. BUT 1 hour per day is not enough to attack EoX and seek retribution.
Elsworth Sugarfoot
Ok. I see you replied to essentially my same post on another thread.

Your feeling is that bulk resources are not rare enough to be valuable (i agree). So the threat of losing them doesn't scare anyone. Limiting bulk resources doesn't limit training and character power (yet).

Am I reading you right that you would like objectives to be more valuable and therefore truly effect the characters when they are overrun?
Nihimon
@Elsworth, see my post in Thanks EoX.

Elsworth Sugarfoot
You know what kind of PvP is palatable and enjoyable to people who don't pvp? The kind where you don't die.

BS. They like PvP that has some meaningful impact on a persistent world. The fact that your side enjoys PvP for the sake of PvP makes you blind to the utter lack of meaningful impact it has on this persistent world. Your insistence on trying to demean the other side makes most of them blind to anything meaningful you might add to the conversation.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Nihimon
Elsworth Sugarfoot
Am I reading you right that you would like objectives to be more valuable and therefore truly effect the characters when they are overrun?

I don't know how many ways you want me to say this.

Launching attacks should put your side at risk. It doesn't.

Winning engagements should provide a meaningful impact for the victors. It doesn't.
Doc
Launching attacks should put your side at risk. It doesn't.

You can attack your opponent's holding in turn. How is it one side here can both attack and defend, and the other side can only defend? Is it not fair for some reason?

Winning engagements should provide a meaningful impact for the victors. It doesn't.

Don't allow people who will never give up to play PFO? Do you really believe, after all EoX has shown you in terms of its tenacity, that there is any punishment that you could deal out that would deter them, short of banning them from the game?
Doc
Actually, now that I think about it, I guess you could implement a feature whereby if a group loses some feuds, if you just gimp their character enough they won't be able to do anything in retaliation. Seems just shy of banning, but I suppose that might accomplish what you want.
Nihimon
@Doc, I'm not really interested in debating whether these things are "good", especially not with any EoX.

I'm trying to get answers from Goblinworks about whether or not these things - which we were led to believe would exist - will exist.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post