Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Whither PFO?

Elsworth Sugarfoot
Lee, consider the source here. We are pounding on Phaeros and overrunning them. They are begging for the Devs to stop it.

Are you going to step in and intervene in conflict every time a large group starts losing and threatens to quit?
Smitty
You must understand something i dont..

I am reading GW wants to limit capture PvP to 3 days a week, 1 outpost 1st day, 1 outpost 2nd day, and 1 holding 3rd day.. and they must be on Friday, Saturday and Sunday..
To make it better your PvP window time is now set for a week, and you cant change it daily..
So I have GW telling me what days i can PvP, and i have EBA telling me what time. my agency is where? i somewhat get the time thing as i have gotten used to it.. but now GW is telling me what days.. that is pure crap..
Baron Malthius
tribuzio
You see, it is something I have already experienced in EVE. Lovers of PvP are always convinced that it is possible to turn people that enjoy limited PvP in lover of it. Most of the time the effect is the opposite. They sicken people of it.

Yeah, people can easily get tired of it or if they do start to join in they run the risk of burning out (remember, it may be due to time that someone is also doing only limited PvP, not just lack of desire).

In addition to that, if this happens and someone leaves in EVE, they can at least afford to take the hit.

PFO does not have this luxury.

Also, what kind of PvP are we talking about? We've seen several different ideas of what kind of PvP people want here and yet we all keep calling them "PvP". I love PvP in games, and heck I like even doing the usual blob vs. blob stuff in itself. The thing is, the way things currently are there are no lights at the end of the tunnel. With no true victory conditions and no other types of PvP to try out, it ultimately leads to burnout.

This is why I like what Lee said and think it is a step in the right direction. Give people another outlet that does something meaningful, give some ways to avoid player burnout while we are waiting on some actual victory conditions for the warfare mechanics.
Lucius
Anyone else laughing at the irony of threatening to quit cause not enough PvP versus threatening to quit case of too much PvP?

Ever occur to you guys that you might just be on the extreme ends and that extremes are really not that great a thing? This game wants to be different it needs to try and meet in the middle, not much else out there has tried that. Every player you lose on either extreme is another possible player you might get in the middle, don't matter much what yall want, matters what the devs want and if there's enough out there to keep it alive. Always gonna be other games to play, why ask them to keep remaking stuff that already exists?

Either way hope they make it a bit more apparent in some patches soon tho, seems to be a tipping point coming.
Elsworth Sugarfoot
If you decide to do this, please add more pvp objectives into the game FIRST before you take out the existing ones. I don't know if you noticed, but the activity of the last week is MUCH higher than the activity of last month when there was no pvp.
Doc
I think presumably, if the prescribed course reaches it's conclusion, as Lee mentions here and how Nihimon seems to want, there would not be a large group picking on smaller groups, and the PvP would be more of a rare thing. So I doubt it would be an issue that would need GW intervene at that point.

It might make a more amiable environment for the roleplayers or whathaveyou that want to do roleplay feuds and such. The casual nature of the setup would probably preclude groups from Darkfall and EVE or competitive PvP'ers ever materializing, so I feel it would just kind of sort itself out, no need for "Map Police". Dancey said they'd be happy if EVE or Darkfall players showed up but I can't imagine they would under the proposed conditions.

If that secures the largest possible niche audience for GW that they can easily market to (Paizo customers), then it's probably a sound plan and might keep PFO alive for some folks to enjoy.
Nihimon
For the record, while I'm overjoyed to get a response from Goblinworks at all, and think that locking in a PvP Window for a week is long overdue, the hard limit on Holding vulnerability is not my preferred outcome. I want EoX to be able to attack us any night of the week, just not every night of every week.

The most important factor is still completely unaddressed. Aggressors should be exposed to meaningful risk.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Duffy Swiftshadow
Elsworth Sugarfoot
If you decide to do this, please add more pvp objectives into the game FIRST before you take out the existing ones. I don't know if you noticed, but the activity of the last week is MUCH higher than the activity of last month when there was no pvp.

+1 More things are definitely needed to even out the activities you can do, that most assuredly includes PvP.

I don't mind toughing it out waiting for things, but as this thread is about, I wold love some solidi-sh design objectives to know whether I'm wasting my time or not.
Elsworth Sugarfoot
Also, implement the war mechanic before limiting the feud mechanic anymore.
Memory-High Priest of Desna
Lucius
Anyone else laughing at the irony of threatening to quit cause not enough PvP versus threatening to quit case of too much PvP?

Ever occur to you guys that you might just be on the extreme ends and that extremes are really not that great a thing? This game wants to be different it needs to try and meet in the middle, not much else out there has tried that. Every player you lose on either extreme is another possible player you might get in the middle, don't matter much what yall want, matters what the devs want and if there's enough out there to keep it alive. Always gonna be other games to play, why ask them to keep remaking stuff that already exists?

Either way hope they make it a bit more apparent in some patches soon tho, seems to be a tipping point coming.

I like this guy. we're friends now.
Adventure Time with the High Priest of Desna, begins Tuesday 08/18 at 6:00pm EST (10:00 server time) at the Thornkeep Auction house. All new players welcome!

Official titles and Nicknames:
Spherewalker of Indor-Mardil, High Priest of Desna, Dreaden-appointed Forum Troll Extraordinaire, The Southern Speedster, Slinger of Stars, Newbie-Bear, Gutter of Golgothans, King of Kiters, Johnny Ustalavian-Seed, and Peaches.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post