Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Delete

Phyllain
I actually would be completely ok with them making one hex around thornkeep completely safe.
Thod-Theodum
Zycor
Why do people constantly complain about being pvp and call me a griefer for hunting them. It's apart of the game lol.

Here is the irony of it all if you both ask this question and at the same time suggest a segregation of PvP and non-PvP.

There is already a PvP and non-PvP segregation on the server. This segregation is purely social - but 95% of player adhere to it.

In order how strictly they are seen
Newbies around Thornkeep are seen as strict non-PvP
The hexes around Thornkeep are seen as non-PvP
PFU events are regarded as non-PvP
Members of PFU are seen by many as non-PvP
The Emerald Lodge is seen as a neutral ground with non-PvP
Emerald Lodge members are seen as non-PvP
A lot of the coal fields in the North-West are PvP light
The North-East corner around Forgeholm is PvP light

This segregation isn't perfect. But it doesn't need to be and maybe shouldn't be ever. Some incidents are unfortunate. Just yesterday I had an Emerald Lodge member killing newbies close to the starter area. I got notified of it in general chat - I logged in with Thod and whispered him - assuming it is a newbie and he just doesn't know. I assume he (she?) is a newbie as some attacks had been against superior characters.
I also notified the company leader. I'm not throwing that person out - but as a member of Emerald Lodge you either don't do PvP or you do it in a way that keeps our status aka that we don't become a large target.

If you ask how does the segregation work - well - it is hard work at times. I talk to my neighbours to ensure there is no war. For me this is especially Golgotha. It is important that I can offer them something in return for ignoring me and my members. The South and EBA is easier - a lot of them declared themselves as defenders of the small and there have been times when they felt I misused that against them - but overall I try to have a good relationship with them as well.

There have been incidents - some members got killed by Golgotha - but that was my members fault when they went into war zones (Hammerfall at the time). I'm also not aware of any such incident since you actually can see to which settlement someone belongs.

We had a few incidents when we had Sensou around Iron Gauntlet. I did reach out to their leader to get to a working agreement.

One other aspect of segregation is the size of the lands. The further away you are on the fringes the more save you are (unless you start a war).

I'm not against banditry. I'm a juicy target on occasion when I walk around with a mule carrying several gp worth of raw materials or refined materials. But I have a lot less sympathy for players who use the word banditry as a thin veil to allow them attacking players whenever and wherever they like.

A true bandit operation would mean effort. Do some spy work, get some intelligence, ensure you actually get away with your ill gotten loot and that you even have a buyer for it. Oh - and yes - I wouldn't shy away from opening my future AH to true bandits and offer them good access and occasional good deals against their understanding not to harass us.

This was a long post to say - segregation already exists in this game. The rules and borders are in flux. The segregation isn't perfect. And you should know best with all the push back you get that there are consequences to players not adhering to the segregation.

My advice - make peace with it and find a way how you fit in to this segregation. Trying to rip it apart will only give you short term fun but long term you always will feel you are pushed out and your enjoyment is curtailed.

Find a way to adapt to the game and the population of the game - don't ask the game (devs) to adapt to you or ask the population (us) adapt to you. The likelyhood of the latter is pretty small.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
AlexanderDamocles
I don't love PvP in PFO (its not close to done yet), but I would hate to see that happen. I've run from Phyllain several times (he usually catches me) and I shrug it off.

This game from day one has been open pvp, but with consequences. Right now, the only consequences are what players can enforce, as the rep system and feud system aren't working quite as intended.

The Reputation system is working as designed, it's intention or the belief that it would continue to be an effective deterrent has always been flawed.

It is like strict gun control laws, only the innocent comply and the criminals ignore them anyway.

On a 1000 xp alt, you don't care about reputation. Once your xp cost exceeds the time it takes to recover reputation, the deterrent is lost. No matter how long you make it, eventually a character will meet what the player considers to be "maxed out" in skill and then they can freely disregard reputation.

Every game (in my experience) that has had a reputation system failed to curtail the behaviors they were designed to stop.

The territorial control focused, open world PvP games being developed recently have varying rule sets for PvP based on zone types. No reputation systems required. Entry into the different zones is an expressed agreement to be subject to those risks, in return for having access to greater rewards.

Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Duffy Swiftshadow
@Zycor

There's a stark contrast between PvP with value and without value. Just cause you can do something doesn't mean you should and that's why a lot of people frown at you, because you only seem to be doing it for the kicks. That said if you really wanna be a random free spirited bandit, your current activities are mostly bearable cause you don't have a lot of options mechanically right now, but when/if they add the mechanics for that and you still prefer ganking and griefing to amuse yourself then we'll continue to disagree with you.

The real issue most of us have with your current activities is not that your attacking people, but that you abuse tons of alts to try and socially manipulate people into traps by abusing anonymity. It's a disappointing use of an unfortunate reality of the nature of MMOs that unfortunately they can't really close the loop on. Even worse if you're using trial accounts to do so.
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Duffy Swiftshadow

There's a stark contrast between PvP with value and without value. Just cause you can do something doesn't mean you should and that's why a lot of people frown at you, because you only seem to be doing it for the kicks. That said if you really wanna be a random free spirited bandit, your current activities are mostly bearable cause you don't have a lot of options mechanically right now, but when/if they add the mechanics for that and you still prefer ganking and griefing to amuse yourself then we'll continue to disagree with you.

The real issue most of us have with your current activities is not that your attacking people, but that you abuse tons of alts to try and socially manipulate people into traps by abusing anonymity. It's a disappointing use of an unfortunate reality of the nature of MMOs that unfortunately they can't really close the loop on. Even worse if you're using trial accounts to do so.

I'm assuming you're directing this at Zycor.

I would not consider Zycor to be a bandit in the game mechanical way, or in the context of Pathfinder lore (RP). Unfortunately, GW has not created any mechanisms for true banditry, and where they seemed to understand it in the older Dev Blogs they don't seem to still understand how to get there in the implementation.

True bandity is not just an activity you might choose to do. It is not just a game play type. It is an entire game feature that impacts many different systems.

Example: Geography plays a significant role in producing the conditions needed for true banditry. If you do not have natural barriers for travel (ie fill the rivers with water, and make them impassable), you will not have predictable trade routes.

Example: Bandits do not feud a target company, actually they don't target anyone in particular, and so they need a means of conducting banditry that is more free form. The faction system is supposedly coming, yet the first two factions have nothing to do with banditry (Aspis Consortium and Pathfinder Society). I question the thought process in selecting those as the first two. Aspis is a merchant faction, but it is Neutral Evil, and that really is not reflected by many in the game. The Pathfinder Society is throwing a bone to the TT community, which I would argue is the wrong target audience for the game's continued growth. Also, Pathfinder Society is mostly associated with adventuring and exploration, neither of which there is a great deal of in PFO.

Ideally (in my opinion of course), there should be three factions brought in simultaneously. A true neutral Merchant faction; A LN - LG Guardian faction; and a CN - N - CE Bandit (outlaw) faction.

Then build a system around factions that create incentives to join them, to level up in them and for settlements to either welcome or reject them.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Duffy Swiftshadow
Yea, edited.
Zycor
I don't kill new players. Unless they attack me.
Zycor
smilesmile
Memory-High Priest of Desna
Zycor
I don't kill new players. Unless they attack me.

so you attack them, and when they fight back, THEN you kill them right? you're so noble.

Zycor
@Memory, you should google where I come from…..

i wasn't comparing my friends or their guild to yours or anything you think you might have accomplished in play-pretend video game worlds in the past. i'm just saying that your characters, individually, are weak, and that you are not very good at this game. if you pay attention to me at all ( and you don't, which is fine), you know that i don't give a care who's good or bad, winning or losing. i do, however, care when some kid with a shit attitude comes around blubbering about how l33t he is.

So far you've done nothing but gather an impressive amount of personal (not rp) enmity from most of the folks on the server, and get killed. So far you've said nothing except things that have already been said, or things that are aimed at passive-aggressively justifying your existence. I can tell you'd very much like to be important, but you're not. You won't be until you actually do something compelling on the server. There's a difference between heel heat and go-away heat, and right now you're only stocked up on the latter.

Spare me the resume. i didn't read 3/4 of it. you could be Barack Obama, Jesus Christ, and Nikola Tesla all rolled into one and i'd still have the same reaction for you.

tldr: pfft. ok.
Adventure Time with the High Priest of Desna, begins Tuesday 08/18 at 6:00pm EST (10:00 server time) at the Thornkeep Auction house. All new players welcome!

Official titles and Nicknames:
Spherewalker of Indor-Mardil, High Priest of Desna, Dreaden-appointed Forum Troll Extraordinaire, The Southern Speedster, Slinger of Stars, Newbie-Bear, Gutter of Golgothans, King of Kiters, Johnny Ustalavian-Seed, and Peaches.
Zycor
@Thod. You just listed the reasons why there should be a safe area

In order how strictly they are seen
Newbies around Thornkeep are seen as strict non-PvP
The hexes around Thornkeep are seen as non-PvP

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post