Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Make PvP Meaningful

Nihimon
1. Fix Company- and Settlement-hopping and -dropping: Continue to let joining a Company or Settlement take effect immediately, but make leaving a Company or Settlement take effect during daily downtime.

2. Fix Feuding: Keep the current Feud Cooldown, but let allies (and mercenaries) join an existing Feud immediately. Joining on the defender's side should make the defender's allies' Holdings vulnerable during the defender's PvP Window, in addition to being vulnerable during their normal PvP Window. The attackers and their allies should have all of their Holdings vulnerable to a Counter-Attack - an additional PvP Window immediately after, and for the same duration as, the defender's PvP Window.

3. Fix Feud Costs: The current costs are fine, but the refund needs to be reexamined. First, require a Company to have at least one Holding in order to Feud. During a Fued, if at least one of the target's Outposts is overrun, refund 25%; if at least one Holding is threatened, refund 50%; if at least one Holding is captured, refund 100%. This should also apply to any Influence spent to join a Feud on either the attacker's or the defender's side.

4. Fix Settlement Support: Require a Settlement to have at least 6 Holdings in order to support Tier 2 Attacks, and at least 18 to support Tier 3 Attacks.

5. Fix Evade: Stop worrying about random distances and base it off of the Character's Effect Power versus their own Effect Protection. The distances will be completely consistent and reliable, and there will be a strong incentive to actually level up the Utilities and Attacks that provide them. It will also significantly increase gear churn as you won't have everyone and their dog with a Get Out of Jail Free card.

The first four suggestions are entirely focused on Consequences. We were told there would be consequences for aggressive PvP, but there haven't been any. And before this thread turns into another 40 pages of folks calling me names, this is not prompted by losing in PvP - it's prompted by winning in PvP and realizing (yet again) that winning was utterly meaningless because the loser didn't face any consequences at all.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Tyncale
This thread will go places. smile
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Dreaden
Seems to be working fine to me, I think you're doing it wrong.
Brighthaven Leader
When there are people who are fighting so hard to keep a system one way, and others fighting so hard to move in a direction farther away from the current one, it usually means the system isn't where it needs to be.

Personally, I think the PvP Feud System needs to be somewhere between A and B.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Quijenoth Starkiller
Nihimon
4. Fix Settlement Support: Require a Settlement to have at least 6 Holdings in order to support Tier 2 Attacks, and at least 18 to support Tier 3 Attacks.
I can see the tears now (or should that be Tiers? smile) how bad would it be if phaeros lost their 6th holding only to be forced to defend the rest in T1 gear because they couldnt wear anything else!
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Duffy Swiftshadow
Agree with general intent but specifics of 3 & 4 I do not agree with at the moment. I get it and I agree the goal needs to be achieved somehow but I still feel like forcing influence grinding is the wrong way to go about it.

Think the other big thing is the war vs feud, really need to just upgrade to wars and then take a closer look at some of this stuff.
Tigari
Yes, the fued systems need lots of work, BUT I've found lots of meaning in the PvP. Personally,fighting against the people who call me and my fellow players cheaters, toxic, and berate us every chance they get, feels pretty damn good! Specially finally burning down the precious library.
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
I think they need to work on "Make PFO Meaningful", which is why I had suggested that maybe they could use a several month shut down to produce not one or two but perhaps 3 or more patches (test them in the test server and with those that have alpha access in test server) and then reopen on January 1, 2016 with changes that are truly eye opening.

I can not explain to you how much players from the Albion Summer Alpha are chomping on the bit to get back into the game (a few months form now) for the Closed Beta. And "No", even though every phase of development ends with a wipe, the players, guilds or alliances have no issues with having to restart from scratch.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Azure_Zero
Quijenoth Starkiller
Nihimon
I can see the tears now (or should that be Tiers? smile ) how bad would it be if Phaeros lost their 6th holding only to be forced to defend the rest in T1 gear because they couldn't wear anything else!

I have to agree With Quijenoth, in that point 4 has the potential of a double snowball effect
(strengthening one and weakening the other to the point of no chance of a comeback).

Furthermore the point also seems to run counter to the infrastructure system for settlements, where infrastructure was to make up for the lower number of holdings at the cost of more resources at upkeep.

The Point also really tilts companies and settlements into going with more lower end (+0,+1) holdings and outposts to cover an area in more claimed hexes, making it so smaller companies will not have any hexes to claim or allow in making their own settlement.

Now If Point 4 were to the used, I'd highly recommend the equation (SUM(Holding +Values) + N*Holdings) and not Nihimon's equation of (N*Holdings), so even Higher end Holdings and outposts have value and offer an advantage (increase the chance you know where enemy will strike and Hex has better defenses)

—————————————————————————

Now For point 1, I have to agree with it

But I'd change it.
Anyone can join and be promoted to any rank in a company at any time.
But those of the rank of Officer and Leader will have these constant restrictions;
*Can not be Kicked,
*Can not just Leave,
*Have to wait a Whole day to be demoted ONE step (Leaders need 2 days to leave, Officers 1 day)

-

Now during a FEUD there CAN NOT be any demotions (of any rank)

The reason for the restrictions and Delays of Leaders and Officers demoting is because they are in a position of Authority and should not be allowed to leave so quickly under any reason.
Doc
I have to agree With Quijenoth, in that point 4 has the potential of a double snowball effect
(strengthening one and weakening the other to the point of no chance of a comeback).

I'm pretty sure that's what Nihimon wants, considering all his usages of the "neutering" of Golgotha. I gather he seems to expect that if he gets the right combination of game mechanics added and they can "defeat" golgotha enough times (by defeat I assume he means blob up on the outpost with a hundred nakeds), then they can stack debuffs on Golgotha perpetually and permanently keep them down.

I don't think they ever imagined a scenario where they weren't hegemons of the server, so a force they can't control, like Xeilias, is a threat that they need to "neuter" as he would to say.

If these set of game mechanics don't work, I imagine they'd need to come up with something else to push the goal posts further back.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post