Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Make PvP Meaningful

Smitty
@ duffy and somewhat Drogon..
You want to know why I want to PvP as opposed to just building a settlement at this point. and doing PvE escalations and gathering etc.. I dont just PvP , I do all those things as well but when folks in team speak say time for PvP I drop what im doing and head over.

The ultimate goal of this game is territory control, it is suppose to be settlements attacking other settlements then burning them down.
That is going to be the end state of the game( when /if we get there).

I came to PFO with 0 PvP experience, I had never engage other players in combat, all my large scale fights were all PvE based raiding. While i knew it would take discipline like the PvE raids I have done in the past, that is where the similarity ended.

The reason why I am seeking out PvP play right now is because I need the practice.
When the game gets to the point where you have to fight for your settlement or lose it , I don’t want show up to that fight with no clue to how to participate in it. Currently holdings and outpost etc.. mean little but the fights are great for teaching me what works and doesn’t work. What to expect from this type of player when to give chase and when to know im being drawn into bad position. I know if Phy or tink starts doing an action where I should be in order to help him out or what to do to make his action successful.

I get there is more to the game than PvP, but the end game is going to be PvP. Showing up at a fight like that 2 years into this without having learned how to fight.. that doesn’t bode well for the outcome …
Midnight
Duffy Swiftshadow
I would argue technically you only benefit from holdings once a day, so making them attackable right before you get that benefit sounds pretty fair. (As it currently stands anyways)

Bulk goods should appear AFTER each PvP window, rather than after downtime, if daily. They really ought to accrue hourly, though.

Also one gains forms of power from outposts and holdings (and will gain more in future patches). Just the value of having guards to run to for (comparative) safety in the wilderness is a valuable thing for gatherers.

I'm sure that sometime this month someone thought to themselves… "You think you can kill a lone gatherer, Zycor? Hows abouts I run through these +3 holdings guards?"

Throw in the coming law system and you start to see the possibility for some serious 23/7 power from holdings even if they didn't produce bulk goods.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
vyal
Duffy Swiftshadow
… Curious again: why are you referencing 1v1 PvP in response to my question? Did you misinterpret something or are you trying to illustrate an example? I was not in the least thinking about scale of PvP in my phrasing so curious what you saw that made you want to include it in your response.
Primarily for clarity, highlighting the distinction between 1v1 PvP and group PvP, which are vastly different experiences.
From what I've seen, some of the target demographic only wants 1v1 PvP, some want a mix, some want only group PvP, and each derives varying levels of enjoyment from each, as personal tastes would dictate.
MMO Forums have bent my writing style so that context has to be explicit, unfortunately. smile
Thod-Theodum
Midnight
Bulk goods should appear AFTER each PvP window, rather than after downtime, if daily. They really ought to accrue hourly, though.

They already do. They don't appear after down time - they appear after the PvP window. I checked it with one of my holdings when I checked the secure vault during PvP window and after PvP window just a week ago.

The only bit that happens during downtime is the upkeep. That is deducted at that time and not during, before or after the PvP window.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Midnight
Duffy Swiftshadow
I would argue technically you only benefit from holdings once a day, so making them attackable right before you get that benefit sounds pretty fair. (As it currently stands anyways)

Also one gains forms of power from outposts and holdings (and will gain more in future patches). Just the value of having guards to run to for (comparative) safety in the wilderness is a valuable thing for gatherers.

I'm sure that sometime this month someone thought to themselves… "You think you can kill a lone gatherer, Zycor? Hows abouts I run through these +3 holdings guards?"

Throw in the coming law system and you start to see the possibility for some serious 23/7 power from holdings even if they didn't produce bulk goods.

Last I checked Bulk Goods were deposited after (or at the start perhaps) of your window. Did they change that?

As to the rest, kinda got a point, but given the possible fluxes constant destruction and rebuilding could cause I very much feel that 23/7 vulnerability makes an incredibly boring game-play loop when in conflict and strongly encourages the avoidance of such level of conflict. Unless we really expect enough people playing this game to cover the 23/7 defenses.

Personally I don't want to play persistent Battlefield or I guess it would be more like Planetside under those rules, I find those games really boring for prolonged play.
Midnight
Oh cool, I probably misinterpreted the patch notes.

I can't even be bothered to empty my holding.

In fact, I wouldn't even have a holding, right now, if someone else hadn't offered to handle the logistics.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post