Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Make PvP Meaningful

Duffy Swiftshadow
Midnight
When I wanted more sanctioned PvP I was told (by Nihimon and others) that I needed to be patient and wait many months for feuds. "The game is still under development" people told me.

Now that Nihimon wants to be able to neuter opponents he is "victorious" over, I'm going to suggest he might need to be patient and wait many months for threading.

With threading (and threading limits) in the game, if EBA really was as victorious as they feel they were in kills, we'd be dropping gear and they'd be picking it up like wild.

As it is, they seem to think that blobbing a tiny box and watching a counter count up ought to stop our ability to attack, for days on end. In fact, the way to neuter your opponents is through gear churn, which the EBA has failed to do to us because regardless of counters in tiny boxes, THEY are the ones sent to the shrine the most, and THEY are the ones whose leaders show up naked and in tier 1 armor further into the campaign.

Threading will reward the best combat force (the people who send their opponents to the shrine the most) with even more gear churn on their enemies than now, thanks to dropped unthreaded gear. One single death could leave a lot of gear on a husk. With 5 pieces of high level gear equipped (armor, 2 weapons, 2 implements) instead of losing a total of 5 durability on a death, someone sent to the shrine could lose the equivalent of 20, 40, or even 60 durability on a single death if 1,2, or 3 items drop, and the force that sent them to the shrine could GAIN the dropped gear from husks. Throw in the utility slots (boots, gloves, etc.) and it is even sweeter for the victor and rougher on the victim.

I hope that's not how it ends up, making every big fight a battle of blob gear attrition sounds awful to me. WoW battlegrounds have more interesting things going on than that.

I always assumed however the threading system shakes out large scale combat would almost always result in everyone using 'safe threading' eventually unless they increase the power curve. Even if it means you can only equip mostly T1 it should always be better to stay in the fight with some gear than to risk losing half of it in one focus fire death.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Yrme
Midnight
Company hopping might become a more meaningful choice when workers and bosses are instituted. Which would be sad if it happens before we can be members of 3 companies at a time. like we were promised.

If I recall correctly, only one of the three companies could belong to a settlement. The other two could not be part of any settlement, so they would be social groups. (In this game of bunny-hopping between companies, they'd be the strike companies with no fixed base that could be attacked… which is why I think the three-company idea should be mercifully killed by GW.)
My impression (could easily be wrong) is that the tertiary affiliations wouldn't "count as settlement membership" but would still be able to be attached. Perhaps we've all made too many assumptions due to the flux and lack of hard information.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Thod-Theodum
@Bringslide
Typical internet miscimmunication - guess Doc assumed
@Thod, In case that wasn't a slip, Doc and Bludd (Tyv) are not the same person.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Thod-Theodum
Caldeathe Baequiannia
@Thod, In case that wasn't a slip, Doc and Bludd (Tyv) are not the same person.

Add it to the rumour list - Doc and Bluddwolf are one and the same …

No clue where my mind was when I wrote that.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Doc
Add it to the rumour list - Doc and Bluddwolf are one and the same …

No clue where my mind was when I wrote that.

If that were the case AGC wouldn't have been stuck without settlement leadership for Aragon in the beginning of EE.
Thod-Theodum
Doc

My post was tongue in cheek - my mind just must have wandered elsewhere …
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Drogon
Eox has won their fair share of battles and so has the EBA. Just depends on the day…. GF all

Some of these points that Nihimon are making are valid. The PVP system would be more fun if there were some clear win mechanics. More people would participate which means more PVP for everyone on any given day. People that didn't want to PVP daily could rotate in and out because there would be more people looking forward to play. As of now the server is losing participants because the mechanics are wonky.

I don't want ANYONE on either side to quit the game…. We all need each other to help make this game successful..
HpoD - "I have, however, sat and watched as others took things more personally (on both sides) and became zealots, charging forward on a shining white horse into a pile of shit. Forum Warriors at their peak, striding the battlefield knee deep in the bloody, broken arguments of their adversaries before the burning village of their credibility….Chill guys. "
Rynnik
Drogon
Eox has won their fair share of battles and so has the EBA. Just depends on the day…. GF all

Some of these points that Nihimon are making are valid. The PVP system would be more fun if there were some clear win mechanics. More people would participate which means more PVP for everyone on any given day. People that didn't want to PVP daily could rotate in and out because there would be more people looking forward to play. As of now the server is losing participants because the mechanics are wonky.

I don't want ANYONE on either side to quit the game…. We all need each other to help make this game successful..
Very much agreed Drogon that people quitting over parts of the game is bad.

Gotta ask what specifically in transfer of a holding ownership doesn't feel like a tangible win condition to you as a player?
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Personally I would say it's the prize, not the win condition.
Drogon
Rynnik
Drogon

Very much agreed Drogon that people quitting over parts of the game is bad.

Gotta ask what specifically in transfer of a holding ownership doesn't feel like a tangible win condition to you as a player?
I think there should be others but I do actually think this is a tangible win condition.
However, for arguments sake, let's say the game mechanics are/were indeed bugged enough to allow the attacker an easy win or even the defender a distinct advantage. Wouldn't you agree the "win" should have an asterix beside it? My point is, if I "win", I want to do it in a way that there can be no doubt that it was a win and right now the game mechanics need to be adjusted some in order for that to happen. There is too much grey area right now for either side to be able to declare a definitive win. But I just try to keep in mind we are still in EE and it is a work in progress….which means it is all still fun and games for me personally….
HpoD - "I have, however, sat and watched as others took things more personally (on both sides) and became zealots, charging forward on a shining white horse into a pile of shit. Forum Warriors at their peak, striding the battlefield knee deep in the bloody, broken arguments of their adversaries before the burning village of their credibility….Chill guys. "

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post