Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Crossing the Chasm

Nihimon
From Bias towards long time players?:

Ryan Dancey
There's a theory of marketing that divides the prospects for a new good or service into several groups: trailblazers, early adopters, and a mass audience… That theory suggests that there's a chasm between the early adopters and the mass audience… The things that the trailblazers and early adopters really like about the product or service may be the same things that keep it from becoming a success with a mass audience.

Crossing that chasm requires both a plan for development to ensure that the product is ready for the mass audience, and a plan for community management to help the existing customers make the transition over the chasm with as little disruption as possible. Inevitably, you lose some trailblazers and early adopters… With those who remain you want to channel their passion without becoming shackled to it.

I get this. I really do.

Will someone from Goblinworks please just talk to us about what we should expect going forward?
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Monday and Tuesday are typically When Ryan takes time off. They are also probably trying to get the code in shape for a planned launch that is already delaying the "August" serv-wide Ogre event to the end of August. They'd hoped to deploy 11 already three weeks ago, and haven't even got 10.2 out the door as early as they were hoping last weekend, so everyone is probably under substantial pressure at the moment and I think they can be forgiven for not paying much attention to the forums for a few days.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Bringslite
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Monday and Tuesday are typically When Ryan takes time off. They are also probably trying to get the code in shape for a planned launch that is already delaying the "August" serv-wide Ogre event to the end of August. They'd hoped to deploy 11 already three weeks ago, and haven't even got 10.2 out the door as early as they were hoping last weekend, so everyone is probably under substantial pressure at the moment and I think they can be forgiven for not paying much attention to the forums for a few days.

Aside from that, they may be doing some very heavy theory crafting, debating, and discussion as anything that they write about this now (except of course, the usual non informative "politician's blather"smile will likely have a major impact.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Rynnik
Nihimon
Will someone from Goblinworks please just talk to us about what we should expect going forward?
I'd bet it is a continuation of social pressures ruining the experience of jerks and the organizations that harbour them so we can get on with the business of building a fun pvp sandbox without that specific community demographic. IE. PFO continuing to operate as is…
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
To me they are struggling to hit that sweet spot that keeps both the PVE - PVP Adverse and the PVP-PVE Bored crowds both equally invested and enjoying the game…. "The Holy Grail".

No matter which extreme the "Trailblazers" find themselves on, and yes there are some in between the extremes, shouldn't we seriously begin to search for compromises?

On Goblin Works part, it would be helpful for them to describe the game features in terms of: Short, Mid, and Long term features and goals. Also, keep these in the context of the player experience, so that they are not focusing on something that we don't have to be thinking about a year from now, but rather the next time we log in.

I think that everything has to be on the table, including every previous promise, whether real or perceived.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Bringslite
I like that post Bluddwolf.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Bringslite
I like that post Bluddwolf.

There are times when I have a drink before I post. ;-)
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Telemvar
How many posts is this where Nihimon is asking devs to communicate? We have to be approaching two dozen at this point…
Bringslite

Ryan Dancey
I can answer most of these questions in the ontext of a comeback mechanic.

We want you to be able to recover from a major setback. We assume a worst case of being dispossed from a Settlement, but there is a continuum of setbacks from losing a Holding to losing all Holdings before an outright Settlement loss that we also are very wary of. Major setback is potentially a mass-quit event. We are intentionally erring on the side of caution with the variables in the current design.

The bar is low for Companies to feud so that a setback Company can recover and go back on the offensive quickly. The value of taking a Holding is not offset for a failure to take a Holding other than a small and quickly recoverable "nusiance" Influence penalty so that setback Companies don't death spiral.

The special case of a Settlement that organizes without Holdings is something that needs to be addressed economically.

Changing PvP windows durng a feud is not the intent of the design and there are several feature and bug reports already on file for this and related issues for the team to rview and act on in the next several releases.

Does this help explain some of the current things? Clearly, the game is a mash of missing and unpolished mechanics in a persistent setting. That is tough to wade through for some.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Baron Malthius
Bringslite

Ryan Dancey
I can answer most of these questions in the ontext of a comeback mechanic.

We want you to be able to recover from a major setback. We assume a worst case of being dispossed from a Settlement, but there is a continuum of setbacks from losing a Holding to losing all Holdings before an outright Settlement loss that we also are very wary of. Major setback is potentially a mass-quit event. We are intentionally erring on the side of caution with the variables in the current design.

The bar is low for Companies to feud so that a setback Company can recover and go back on the offensive quickly. The value of taking a Holding is not offset for a failure to take a Holding other than a small and quickly recoverable "nusiance" Influence penalty so that setback Companies don't death spiral.

The special case of a Settlement that organizes without Holdings is something that needs to be addressed economically.

Changing PvP windows durng a feud is not the intent of the design and there are several feature and bug reports already on file for this and related issues for the team to rview and act on in the next several releases.

Does this help explain some of the current things? Clearly, the game is a mash of missing and unpolished mechanics in a persistent setting. That is tough to wade through for some.

That should help clear some things up as a start.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post