Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Crossing the Chasm

Tyncale
I have come to the simple conclusion that it's the dated look and feel of this game, why it is not getting any traction.

I also think that if you ask people why they stopped playing after a week, that a lot of them probably can not be honest about this, either knowingly or unknowingly. Many gamers feel that they should be above such considerations, but they aren't.

For me as a veteran, who is deep into some of the core features of the game like building and crafting and the Economy, there is still a constant tug of war between the social core concepts pulling me in, and the graphics and lousy animations and stupid clipping bridges and static mobs and monotonous look of the world pushing me out.

This is also why I think lowering or taking away the sub will not help at all.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Baron Malthius
Yeah, I share those sentiments.

I don't mind the graphics in themselves. That doesn't bother me if the gameplay is good enough to make it a non-factor.

The problem is, well, some of the other things you mentioned, like the overall lack of polish in the graphics and animation that are there, the static mobs, the wooden feel of the world (it doesn't even feel alive, let alone feel like Golarion), etc.

If someone doesn't get into the social and political aspects or find a good gaming group to play with then that person will probably see little else to do right now. Even if you get into that stuff, it still feels like even that isn't enough to compensate.
Zycor
Dunno nihimon buddy, just don't leave me
Zycor
This game looks legit.

https://swordcoast.com/

I'll be playing.
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Tyncale
I have come to the simple conclusion that it's the dated look and feel of this game, why it is not getting any traction.

I also think that if you ask people why they stopped playing after a week, that a lot of them probably can not be honest about this, either knowingly or unknowingly. Many gamers feel that they should be above such considerations, but they aren't.

For me as a veteran, who is deep into some of the core features of the game like building and crafting and the Economy, there is still a constant tug of war between the social core concepts pulling me in, and the graphics and lousy animations and stupid clipping bridges and static mobs and monotonous look of the world pushing me out.

This is also why I think lowering or taking away the sub will not help at all.

I have to completely agree with this and it is the first thing on the list of suggestions for GW to consider.

The old saying, "graphics are not as important so long as the game play is good", sadly does not apply to PFO. It is not just that it lacks polish, it lacks "quality of life features" that are inexcusably absent from what should be considered part of the Minimum Viable Product.

1. PFO needs a new game engine, period! That is not an opinion it is a fact. It is the single most quoted reason that players refuse to even try the game. People can claim all they like, "oh they are superficial and we don't need that kind of player anyway", the point is… GW needs their money, and they won't get it with Unity 4 engine.

2. Minimum Viable Product Debacle: PFO is not being developed in a vacuum. There are certain features that are considered industry standards and when the game does not have them, it is not a Minimum Viable Product. many of these are little things, what I would call "quality of life features", but they are also some of the first things that a player notices or notices the lack of them. because they are seen or not seen so early on, they are part of the New Player Experience.

3. Sequence of Development: GW should step back from all patches at the moment and ask themselves, "What is the first gaming experience the player will have?" New Player Experience has to be complete, polished and exceptional. Nothing else should come first.

This BTW is the second most common complaint made about the game, following the dated graphics and choppy animations.

Here is also where those "Quality of Life" features come into play as well. A few examples:

* Skill (feature) descriptions before purchase and slotting
* Skill Tree that shows the progression so that players can plot their course towards a goal.
* In-game tutorials that are evident - Clearly marked with an icon over the head of the quest giving NPCs.
* New Player Area Zone depicted on the map. Nothing mechanical about it, just a visual to indicate the zone.
* Chat Channels: Company / Settlement / Friends List
* Inventory Sorting in Banks the same way they are in AH.

These are all fairly simple, and have been around in games for decades. Again, PFO is not being developed in a vacuum, its MVP should not ignore what are perceived as standards by the average gamer.

4. Better communication from GW: Telling us what is in the next patch is not really crowd forging. WE would need to see what they intend for the next 3 patches, so that we might be able to chime in and suggest a change in sequence.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Giorgio
Ryan has been MIA for more than a week now?

Not even a "we are listening, reading, debating, tracking" comment as he normally does. Very troubling and at the worst possible moment. smile
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Midnight
We get to talk to a dev every Wednesday.

I'm just not seeing a crisis of unavailability, especially since we know what they're struggling with from 10.2.

Though, if someone comes wanting to talk about something besides PvP, today, I feel very sorry for her.

If they send someone from the Art department, tonight, I will declare Nihimon to have been officially dissed. smile
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Midnight

I'm just not seeing a crisis of unavailability, especially since we know what they're struggling with from 10.2.

Though, if someone comes wanting to talk about something besides PvP, today, I feel very sorry for her.

If they send someone from the Art department, tonight, I will declare Nihimon to have been officially dissed. smile

If they send the treadmill hamster that runs the server, now that would be a dis. But, funny as hell!!
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Giorgio
Midnight

By their own admission the majority of the devs don't follow or participate in the forums, Ryan normally is active and responsive.

Their is currently many problems with all/many aspects of PVP, Combat, Player Population and the direction the game is now and where its heading in the near term. There is a lot of feedback GW can provide to address many of the active community's concern.
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Midnight
A dev needn't follow the forums to answer our questions on Wednesdays.

imaginary example:

"The people we've antagonized for years won't stop declaring feuds against us. Is this the way you want the game to be?"

"Yes, but with more gear churn".

smile
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post