Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Avenues for Improvement

Grim Onyxheart
+1 Duffy

It's what I would have said if I had more energy
~Part of the Empire of Xeilias, settlement of Golgotha, company of House Winterfield~
============= "Through Strength of Arms, We bring Peace." ============
—————————————————- www.xeilias.com ————————————————
Brighthaven Leader
+1 to Duffy, and +.5 to OP

@OP I can understand some of what you said, but it is a work in progress.
10.2 will help with player retention, 11 will help with current player retention and overall game I think.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
coach
Zycor
Nice post. Can I have your stuff?

this made me lol
coach - Dreamless Company

PM coach on Paizo Forum
HowardWdW
I fully understand this is a game in progress. That's why I bother to post on these forums. Duffy, on bandit mechanics just add "so far" to the end of my sentence "failed to provide". I'm not advocating an "order" in which things need to be addressed. I'm merely continuing to bring to the attention of those who wish to listen where, in my opinion, the game is lacking.

I can look at our settlement as a microcosm of the very small PFO game universe. Of those who started out at the beginning of EE I count perhaps 5 others besides myself still playing. What percentage of the original players is that and those were dedicated people who paid for kickstater and wanted the game to succeed? I'm guessing under 50%. If you look at all the failed settlements and figure that out it's really a lot lower. How many new players have come and gone since then…I probably could figure it out from character rosters in the companies, but the retention rate is way way lower than 50% (5 to 10%?).

If both original players and new players don't find the game worth continuing to play there is something fundamentally wrong. And it isn't "$5 vs. $15 subs". It might be that the concept of EE and designing while playing is wrong. Maybe the amount of starter cash for the game wasn't large enough to have the size of development team that's needed for a successful MMO. I can't control those things, unless GW wants to sell shares to additional investors in order to bump up the size of the team, in which case I might be an investor.

What I can do is post my thoughts, ideas and suggestions on these boards. So I do.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Please don't take too much of what I said in a personal or argumentative manner, I very much acknowledge the pedantic nature of what I was saying and it was more in response to the seemingly common way people seem to be perceiving things than necessarily just your statements which were fairly tame and fair. I just wanted to clarify and make a point about the fluidity of the game and the limitations of GW, your topic ended up being a good reference spot for it.

Interestingly enough on your note about people that stuck around, we've retained almost all our starting players but have lost new recruits regularly (to quietly quitting mostly) while picking up a few dedicated players. We seem to have lots of issues with retaining new players and I think lack of activities and interesting mechanics is the big problem. We have plenty of activity going on in our play window most of the time despite our smaller numbers, but several of those that left were clearly chafing at the limited activities.
Giorgio
Howard,

I agree with the majority of your OP; I feel the lack of clear GW direction on the game, PVP audience, near and short term goals-features is only compounding the problem. We have gone from almost constant communication with GW (not counting the excellent and informative Keepside chats) to a near dead silence on the "big picture" of the game.

It is obvious that something is wrong and EE10x has been a massive struggle/drain on resources; the settlement system might be fundamental feature for this game to survive in the long term, but in the short term is causing severe resources drain for the OTHER 90% of the game features the majority of the player are using and finding lacking.

I wish I had all of Bludds's quotes on the games problems in one place to save time/typing; I don't agree with the way he delivers his message or with all his "must do this", but damn do I agree with the problems and overall sentiment.
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Memory-High Priest of Desna
Just a minor nag at Howard:

I get that you want to help GW solve some problems with the game to help forward the development of the game, but you're not doing anybody (especially GW) any favors with the post being titled like that. Starting with the assumption that the game is failing is not only presumptuous, not only disproportionately negative, but damaging to the overall image of GW and PFO as a whole. I know, if their image is damaged it's arguably their own fault and their own problem to begin with, but I actually found this thread on google, lol. Hashing out fixes and ideas for GW to improve their product doesn't have to simultaneously drag the company and the game through the mud for all the world to see. They have enough to worry about without the players spreading a negative outlook, and player retention could be improved with just a little bit more positivity out there.

Not saying this to censor you, just putting it out there in the event that you didn't realize what affect your thread title might have on outside perceptions, and to ask (ask, not command, tell, or insist) that you change it.
Adventure Time with the High Priest of Desna, begins Tuesday 08/18 at 6:00pm EST (10:00 server time) at the Thornkeep Auction house. All new players welcome!

Official titles and Nicknames:
Spherewalker of Indor-Mardil, High Priest of Desna, Dreaden-appointed Forum Troll Extraordinaire, The Southern Speedster, Slinger of Stars, Newbie-Bear, Gutter of Golgothans, King of Kiters, Johnny Ustalavian-Seed, and Peaches.
Baron Malthius
@Memory

With that being the case, I can only imagine what effect some of the other threads as of late must have had on outside perceptions if they could be found on Google as well. :-/
Memory-High Priest of Desna
it's the Title that struck me. "The game is failing." if i were a potential player and i saw that on a google result straight from GW's forums, i would likely read nothing else and go give my money to Albion or Crowfall.

Titles like "whither PFO" and some of the others aren't so immediately jarring. If you stuck around to read all 70+ pages of content, maybe, but this one gets you without even reading the post.
Adventure Time with the High Priest of Desna, begins Tuesday 08/18 at 6:00pm EST (10:00 server time) at the Thornkeep Auction house. All new players welcome!

Official titles and Nicknames:
Spherewalker of Indor-Mardil, High Priest of Desna, Dreaden-appointed Forum Troll Extraordinaire, The Southern Speedster, Slinger of Stars, Newbie-Bear, Gutter of Golgothans, King of Kiters, Johnny Ustalavian-Seed, and Peaches.
HowardWdW
@ Memory

No I didn't think of "Google" when choosing a title. Titles, along with alliance names, seem to be my point of failure. Your comment is noted and I'm about to change the Title.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post