Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Rebooting the game world

Baron Malthius
There have been enough posts on this from multiple people that I think this merits its own thread.

The two that stood out to me from the Whither thread were:

Giorgio
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
What it has convinced me is that there is a greater argument for the cataclysm (is that still a plan, I doubt it) to wipe the server for Open Enrollment. Have 10 faction / alignment based settlements and instead of SvS conflict have GvG conflict. Outposts / holdings fill the coffers of the guilds, can be fought over and raided, but the settlements are NPC Faction run.

What is "SvS" and "GvG" conflict?

As to your point; for the first time I am considering the possibility of shutting down the main server, sending everyone to the test server in its place, implementing 4 months of features, THEN starting again fresh (with all players starting from Thornkeep, Fort Riverwatch and Fort Inevitable; starting a REAL land rush.) I am open to debating this in a separate thread.

and…

Avari
Population density is what is killing the Early Enrollment of PFO. I don't know at this point if GW really cares at all if we are just paying testers until OE or actually having fun. But if the answer is the latter and after 9 months it is very clear the population isn't growing for a while, then the only answer is to wipe the map clean and do maybe an in game land rush at the test server sized map.

The map is 3 times too big for the pop we have. No mechanics can fix that.

As I said in one of my responses on this thread, I think there is a lot of merit too it but with one condition. That condition is no character wipes. That was a promise made from day 1 and it should not be reneged on regardless of whether or not anything else is rebooted or wiped.

Perhaps offering a respec and leaving up the test server while the main server is either taken offline temporarily or otherwise have the game put on hold would make it more palatable. I don't care whether I get one either way personally, but as long we don't lose the hard earned XP and achievements I am ok with this. Maybe subscriptions can be put on hold or reduced during this rebooting phase? Not sure if that is financially viable though.

Is there merit to it? If so, what is the best way to do it, if not, why not?

I say it should be done. Shrink the world a bit, take a fair amount of downtime to add a lot of the core features now and add a genuine logging and analytics system, and then do what would essentially be a relaunch with all the mistakes from the previous launch taken care of now. I would be willing to wait for that, perhaps even still pay the full subscription for that honestly if it means we get a clean slate and start with a more fully featured and robust game to begin with.
Midnight
A smaller world will make logistics less important and make force projection even more ridiculously easy.

I'd like to revitalize the game and attract more players, but the problem with the world is that it is too EMPTY, not that it is too big.

We need 3 times the players, if the world is 3 times too big for this population.

Maybe GW should offer free accounts, with the understanding that they'll have to pay backdated subscription fees for the privilege of taking those special accounts (NOT OUR CURRENT ACCOUNTS) into Open Enrollment.

That'd be one heck of a free trial… We think you'll like it so much, your first 4 months are free if you don't stay.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
double post
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Tink says Stab
There are ways of making a big word smaller without actually changing the world itself.

Increasing the visual range will help.

Giving players reasons to group up, in ways that are indicated on the map will help.

Giving players better reason to be out in random hexes will help.

What I'm saying is #AddGushers.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Midnight
#AddGushers
-Edmund Burke
Avari
Midnight
A smaller world will make logistics less important and make force projection even more ridiculously easy.

I'd like to revitalize the game and attract more players, but the problem with the world is that it is too EMPTY, not that it is too big.

We need 3 times the players, if the world is 3 times too big for this population.

Maybe GW should offer free accounts, with the understanding that they'll have to pay backdated subscription fees for the privilege of taking those special accounts (NOT OUR CURRENT ACCOUNTS) into Open Enrollment.

That'd be one hell of a free trial.

Abandoning pay to train at this stage of the game seems less likely than shrinking the map.
Brighthaven Leader
Ok sooooooo this is my response: #AddGushers
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Midnight
Oh, they'd have to pay for that training, if they want to enter Open Enrollment. Backdated subscription fee.

(Sorry if that wasn't in my post when you read it. I edited my post to make it a more realistic idea).
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
Tink and Cheatle agree. Obviously hell has frozen over and the pressure that exerts on the planet will cause gushers.
-Edmund Burke
Tink says Stab
Cheatle and I agree all the time!

Especially about #AddGushers and #DonkeyShrines.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post