Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Rebooting the game world

Vadaryl
I am in agreement with Tink with an additional hash tag as it would allow developers

#addanalytics

#addgushers
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
The world would feel smaller if the world environment was completed and "free roaming" across all terrain types was hindered or stopped.

This means, fill the rivers with water, make them impassable and force travel (at least to cross) to the bridges.

This also means, no more cliff jumping!!

This means faster travel by road, slower travel across various terrain types.

And yes, it means more opportunities for ambush and perhaps more PVP based on banditry and control of important terrain crossings (bridges and mountain passes).
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Duffy Swiftshadow
#AddGushers

Also I like Bluddwolf's idea, I know there are some issues with the water but terrain differences would make travel far more interesting.
HowardWdW
I suspect that the core issue here is what gamers consider to be "minimum viable content" and what GW has considered it to be are two very different views. This game is nowhere near minimum viable content to the market at large as is proven by the non growth of player numbers.

The best thing for the long term health of the game might very well be to close the game, admit it's still an alpha version, turn off the sub costs, and let the dedicated players continue to help the developers develop. This would also mean taking the forums off "public".

The sub fees can't possibly have a meaningful impact on keeping GW in business. What 1000 active accounts, 2000? $15 to $30K/month income? So you can pay 2 or 3 programmers with that. GW needed enough money in the bank at day 1 to last the entire 5 year development period. If their model didn't have that as a premise then they better look for some more seed money.

Maybe they should do that anyway and hire more programmers who can turn out the content needed by the audience to make the game actually viable.

Take the game off the market, forget the original model the business was operating under, it clearly isn't working. Get the game properly developed and then re-launch. Businesses and business plans MUST change as the market dictates.
vyal
Howard,

From what I've seen over the past 20 years, most developers are so unwilling to change design goals based on their own personal vision they would have to be over 6 months in arrears before they would even consider such a logical course of action. Hubris is a cruel mistress.
Edam
HowardWdW
The sub fees can't possibly have a meaningful impact on keeping GW in business. What 1000 active accounts, 2000? $15 to $30K/month income? So you can pay 2 or 3 programmers with that. GW needed enough money in the bank at day 1 to last the entire 5 year development period. If their model didn't have that as a premise then they better look for some more seed money.

My impression way back before Alpha was they were not reliant on the subs to continue developing but had a plan B if they got enough subs in EE to accelerate development.
Avari
Yeah my impression of EE has always been a way to develop closer to break even, not actually be in the black. But Goblinworks' issues are Goblinworks, I don't know the details so i can't say. I only know that if the population has been flatline for 9 months, then adjustments should be made for the actual population we have.
PFOFIREFIGHTER
Edam
HowardWdW

My impression way back before Alpha was they were not reliant on the subs to continue developing but had a plan B if they got enough subs in EE to accelerate development.

They have enough money. Even before the Kickstarter Ryan was quite open in saying they had enough money to make the game in a 4 year plan but the Kickstarter would help them accelerate that by a year or more.

From the campaign FAQ: Most of the budget is being provided by our initial investors, but the money we're raising on Kickstarter is the difference between a 4 year development plan and a much faster, much larger plan.
Giorgio
Nice to be quoted in the beginning of a new thread. smile

I will post more on the subject of Reboot The World™, tomorrow afternoon. First I need a good nights rest. smile
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Giorgio
Insomnia inspired thoughts/considerations:

- make a clear determination and statement who the target audience is, create and market game accordingly

- game population is low, allowing a realistic chance for reboot and second chance for a fresh start

- only sacrosant thing is earned XP, everything else is negotiable

- new land rush based out of permanent three NPC towns (TK, FI, FR); everyone starts with tutorial pack (level playing field); all settlements founded as intended in blogs of old (clear land, place a watchtower,found a company charter, build a fort, upgrade to keep then settlement)

- keep subscription model, but add diffident tiers of subscriptions $5, $10, $15, $20 packages

- add a permanent "catch up" XP option, allowing accounts to reach up to 90% of day 1 accounts XP

- rethink and expand cash shop offerings

- during a sever shutdown: a) switch to Unity 5; B) create full suite of analytical, logging and survey tools; C) add rivers; D)add ammo and remove rooting; E) improve new player experience, polish UI and tool tips ; F) fix all known bugs

- add search and PM functions to GW website

More writing latter if I can now fall asleep and get some rest… smile
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post