Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Rebooting the game world

Gariwald
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Except a cataclysm was supposed to happen from the get to go, which he knew perfectly, even though Ryan changed his mind along the way. Which he could do again.
I missed him changing his mind. do you have a reference for that? Or is this, once again, someone saying that the cataclysm was intended to be a server wipe when they never indicated any such thing.

The original gobbocast doesn't exist any more as it seems, so hard to verify, but if it wasn't about destroying the settlements, I wonder why most people, you for instance, thougt it could be some kind of meteor shower.
Avari
ZomoZ
No xp reset
No items reset
I am highly invested in the success of this game, with ~ 40,000 gathering nodes clicked and thousands of hours spent getting every t2 and t1 recipie and ungating 16 characters to use

I have worked hard and invested thousands of dollars and hours into this game. My a accounts would be for sale if reset

Map size change? I could live with that.
A second and more practical way for this to happen is mounts
Let people ride 2x sprint speed and bam, map size is effectively cut in half.

Sort of. Mounts doesn't make it less empty, but yeah at least it cuts down on "The running game".
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
ZomoZ
No xp reset
No items reset
I am highly invested in the success of this game, with ~ 40,000 gathering nodes clicked and thousands of hours spent getting every t2 and t1 recipie and ungating 16 characters to use

I have worked hard and invested thousands of dollars and hours into this game. My a accounts would be for sale if reset

Map size change? I could live with that.
A second and more practical way for this to happen is mounts
Let people ride 2x sprint speed and bam, map size is effectively cut in half.

Settlement and map changes won't effect what your character has learned or what he has in his bank. As others have said, character XP should be sacrosanct and I believe their material wealth should be as well.

* Map size shrunk or terrain type adjustment to travel speed calculated

* Terrain Features completed
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Gariwald
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Gariwald
Except a cataclysm was supposed to happen from the get to go, which he knew perfectly, even though Ryan changed his mind along the way. Which he could do again.
I missed him changing his mind. do you have a reference for that? Or is this, once again, someone saying that the cataclysm was intended to be a server wipe when they never indicated any such thing.

The original gobbocast doesn't exist any more as it seems, so hard to verify, but if it wasn't about destroying the settlements, I wonder why most people, you for instance, thougt it could be some kind of meteor shower.
I'm not sure what you are thinking has changed. The settlement buildings will still be wiped. That has always been planned. the world will not. That was never planned. During a time when we had an imperfect understanding of the process, we speculated that it might be handled via a meteor strike. We, the players, made up the meteor strike. The devs never indicated any such thing.

From one of the earlier blogs in 2012: "What To Expect From Early Access Beta"

Many publishers wipe out player accounts after Beta. We want player-controlled settlements to develop during Early Access so that on Release, there is an existing structure to the world and existing chartered companies for new players to join. This means we will not be wiping after Beta. Players who are in the Beta program early will be the most advanced players in the game, and will have lots of time-based experience before Release.

Those of us that participated in the early part of EE are being rewarded with building kits (in proportion to our successes in the War of Towers) to help ease the transition after the settlements are wiped, but it's going to be a difficult, and messy, week or two until we get those kits erected.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
tribuzio
Gariwald

We will lose all of our settlements structures beside the bank, AFAIK, but that is very different from wiping the map clear.
People will still maintain their company names, contacts and all.

You really want to find yourself in a world where the first griefer that log in will found the companies Phaeros, Golgotha, Emerald Lodge and all other name we recognize just for lulz?
It was done in EVE with Band of Brothers and it was a huge hit on them.

We have placed ourselves in specific positions on the map. You really want to redo that from scratch?
"No sorry, the settlement hex near Golgotha has been used by other players, KB can be set up only in the NW"

And thinking about the last example, KB has set up as the trade center with lots of work. Destroy the buildings and they will build a auction house as the first thing and will be back in action on day 1 with almost all their network functioning.
Force them to restart from scratch, having to find the right spot and rebuild, recraft all their stock and so on. How many will do that?
Duffy Swiftshadow
Settlements are getting wiped in EE11 and we're getting some base level kits we can use to start building or not, depends on what you want in your settlement. It looks like it'll be a little slow to get caught up to the same training access we have right now in some cases, need to hit at least +2 buildings which looks to be an involved upgrade process.

Pretty much always been the plan as far back as I can remember.
tribuzio
Duffy Swiftshadow
Settlements are getting wiped in EE11 and we're getting some base level kits we can use to start building or not, depends on what you want in your settlement. It looks like it'll be a little slow to get caught up to the same training access we have right now in some cases, need to hit at least +2 buildings which looks to be an involved upgrade process.

Pretty much always been the plan as far back as I can remember.

AFAIk the banks will remain in the same position, the same for the companies, and the locations names.
Phaeros, Golgotha, KB and KP will not disappear, the building will be destroyed but the site will stay.

San Francisco after the quake was still San Francisco. Same location and name, different buildings.
I didn't become Seattle.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Yea sorry, I was inferring that mechanically we're still attached to what is essentially the starting point of a new settlement. Keeping all our bank stuff, companies, settlement association, and holdings.
Giorgio
Everything below is my personal view:

@All,
"Add Gushers" does not address the OPs question and invitation to debate the merits of the idea of a full reboot of the game; it is a nice/important feature to have, but not pertinent to the subject matter.

“Add Analytics” and “Impassible Terrain that affects movements, creates choke points, and create slower travel” are important things to consider in a full reboot of the game, if that choice is made.

The current “MVP w/no box price model” is not working as can be attested by the low population numbers, the players leaving the game, and the overall dissatisfaction the majority of the active player base has with the current state of the game. It is reasonable to have discussions if other models (included starting again from zero) might be worth exploring.

Alternate subscription price points, clear determination of target audience, change of source engine, polish, bug fixes, changes to current sub-systems and backdating XP are also worth taking a look at.

@Thod,
Thank you for posting your reasons for being against the idea, you state you have more and I would like to read them if you don’t mind continuing. It is good to take a look at all the pro and cons of the idea in order to have an informed debate on the matter.
Just to clarify, I understand the OP to be requesting a debate on a full restart of the game, not just every time a new feature is added or changes are made; a significant overall of the game and its components would be a case for rebooting the game and starting from basics again. You bring up some very good questions that would need to be addressed in the case of a shutdown of the game and if a full restart is implemented.

@ZomoZ,
Your concerns about the time, money and effort invested in the game so far is very important to keep in mind during any conversation on the merits of a game reboot.
————————————- ———————————————————————————–
So far all I have read is negative feedback on the idea; I believe there are many positive ideas worth considering on the possibility of a full reboot and a relaunch with a more stable, feature complete, and a more solid new player experience.

I would like to talk about a full reboot of game in the context of a real land rush, no pre-gen template or starter towns (expect the permanent big three), creation of new player settlements from the ground up (as per older blogs), the impact of keeping your current XP and having a chance to “redo” your characters, the creation of new powerblocks and/or current ones, an overhaul of graphics and UI, a more feature complete and stable game, a revamped player experience, and a game with full analytical, logging and data tracking tools; amongst other topics.

I will elaborate later a few ideas of my own, but right now I have Tropical Storm Erika on the way to my island, so it may take a bit before I respond. smile
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Thod-Theodum
@Giorgio
Not everything in a reboot is bad. There are some things you can only achieve that way. But my opinion is that the negative outweighs by far the positive. This is why I started the alternative thread to show that gradual change is happening and is achieving over time most what a reboot achieves - but without the downside of losing everything.

Azlanti stones - gone
Achievements like visiting the special locations is exiting the first time, a grind the second
Doing quests again - not worthwhile without an benefit
Nhur Athemon - will never come back and might not even have existed
New neighbourhoods might cause a lot of grief
The land rush allowed me as settlement leader without a large following in other games to build up a decent number of followers. A reboot will benefit larger groups that just swoop in - maybe not Goon Swarm but even a group 10 times smaller makes me insignificant
A reboot won't work for animosities. The alpha to EE reboot didn't reboot Gol/EBA relationships - such a reboot actually could be beneficial
Auction houses finally started working - you start at zero again as nothing can be produced to offer there
Going around with a club again will truly feel like grinding - even if we now could do it faster
A reboot also removes history. My son claims the notoriety to be first who spotted the Spire and reported it. It might be an irrelevant piece of history - but you throw out this and many other things that others have done
A reboot will lead to more min/max as we know better, will do less mistakes, it will be more competitive
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post