Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

The game world reboots on a constant basis

Thod-Theodum
I thought I start a new thread instead of detailing another one.

As the title says - the game world reboots continually. PFO is a sandbox game where actions by players influence the world.

Every time a player leaves the game there is a loss in the world as a part of it is deleted.
Every time a players stops playing for a while there is a loss as some aspects of the game are placed into storage.
Every time a new player starts there is a new birth of content and the game renews itself.
Every time an account changes ownership is a reboot that injects new life into the game.

To put this into perspective - my numbers indicate a 10%+ turnover in players during the last two month as more than 300 new characters got added to settlements in that time compared to 2600+ characters assigned to settlements at the end of July.
The true number might be larger if many new players don't join companies - but it might be a good figure for the more permanent part. This assumes stable numbers of course. Growth will lower the reboot rate but will be good for the game, shrinking of the game will increase the reboot rate but I doubt that actually is good for the game.

Around 20% of settlements changed ownership this month. This is a massive reboot. This was the very first month that this was possible - so this kind of reboot will be a lot less in the future.

There was a large reboot when the towers ceased and Nhur Athemon took them over. Actually this was the third reboot of this kind - the first when towers appeared, the second when the core 6 towers disappeared, and the third when all the remaining ones could be destroyed by players.

A big upcoming reboot will be the rebuilding of settlements. It will be very interesting to see how this works out.

I love this game as it is slowly reinventing itself, it gradually changes. I might not like every individual event - there are issues with the choice of new factions I'm not happy with because how I build up my settlement - the Emerald Lodge. But the key to have fun and play successful is to adapt to all the small reboots happening on a continuous timeline.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Giorgio
-1 disagree, reasons why as soon as I get back to my PC (on cell, tropical storm in progress)
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
PFOFIREFIGHTER
Rynnik
+1

Well said, Thod.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Avari
Giorgio
-1 disagree, reasons why as soon as I get back to my PC (on cell, tropical storm in progress)

That storm is gawdawful slow! Was supposed to hit Tuesday, now its scheduled for Friday. Has the whole island on hold waiting for it!

Anyways Thod, none of those things you mentioned touch on my concern for Early Enrollment which is population density. IMHO that is the killer right now, a big empty map. An empty MMo is like an empty restaurant, maybe you wanted to go there really bad, but once you see it all empty you turn around immediately.

Don't worry, I'm not on a crusade to shrink the map. I have simply always believed that this map size wasn't going to work with < 5000 active players.
Tea
The "Every time a player…"-part is poetry and existentialism. Well said and thought. smile
I'm enjoying the game and the community. Are you? http://www.covenantofthephoenix.com/forums/forum/354-pathfinder-online/
ZomoZ
+1
tribuzio
+1
Giorgio
Thod-Theodum
As the title says - the game world reboots continually. PFO is a sandbox game where actions by players influence the world.

Your thread title is misleading; you are using the term "reboot" in all your examples to demonstrate permanent changes to the game, not a complete resetting/restart of the game (as per the usual common usage of the term "reboot" ) as it was on January 1, 2015.

There is no doubt that game today is different from how EE started, it has never been rebooted at all.
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Rynnik
Giorgio
Thod-Theodum

Your thread title is misleading; you are using the term "reboot" in all your examples to demonstrate permanent changes to the game, not a complete resetting/restart of the game (as per the usual common usage of the term "reboot" ) as it was on January 1, 2015.

There is no doubt that game today is different from how EE started, it has never been rebooted at all.
The server reboots every single day. smile

Maybe YOUR usage of the term is ill founded.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post