Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Delete

Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Pontius Pilates
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Personally I think Zycor did the game a service for attacking during the PFU event. The PvP brought the only interesting thing to the event. Imagine the people watching the demo of the game and just seeing an escalation run. Wow, what a freak'n borefest that would have been. I doubt they would have gotten one sub out of it. But instead we have been talking about that event for what, three weeks? Name any other PFU / GW supported event that is still talked about. NOT A ONE.
But does it ever get talked about other than when people are compiling a list of things Zycor did? Doesn't seem particularly impressive in context.

I'm asking these questions just to put into context your view point.

Have you participated in a large group (organized) escalation events?

Have you ever seen one fail?

Are the tactics radically varied, or roughly the same based on the escalation type?

Have you watched escalation events on youtube?

After having done a hundred or more escalations, and having attended a few of the PFU escalations, once your power level and knowledge of T2 escalations is well developed they present no challenge and a simple grinds. They don't even need a party larger than 3 in most cases (even some of the T2 ones), but with small group they just take longer.

Imagine an outsider watching that escalation. Are they going to see anything compelling enough to make them say, "Damn I got to subscribe to this!!".

Even Goblin Works, Ryan in particular, has said that the PVE in this game is not the focus of the game. It is there for gate and other forms of grinding (achievements, recipe drops, coin drops, victory markers, etc).

It still surprises me that none of the participants in the "Forever War" have ever advertised it as a selling point for the game, particularly when the game was being reviewed on MMORPG.com. Not one player got up there and spoke out about how cool it was to be fighting over something (even if it is / was just meta game politics).

The lack of using it as a selling point leads me to believe that the most of the community still does not want it. Sure they say, "we want meaningful PVP", but I think that in most cases "meaningful" to them means "significantly rare".

Here is one for the conspiracy theory / rumor mill: The Forever War is a ruse. Orchestrated to keep internal interest up for both alliances, using their least resource / economically productive companies to "play fight" in pre arranged arena style battles. I'm not saying I buy into this 100%, but it would not shock me either.

Not one post extolling the virtues of PFO's PVP events, anywhere outside of here, and rarely even here.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Zax
+1 Memory, you should do that for all sorts of posts smile
Pontius Pilates
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Saying that you are only asking questions in order to put my viewpoint into context, then going on to describe to people exactly why I'm wrong and you are right (especially when you don't actually address what I said, but rather why you think it was a good thing) is dishonest.

Maybe what he did was good for the game. All I said was that the only time it's getting talked about is when people talk about things he did.
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Pontius Pilates
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Saying that you are only asking questions in order to put my viewpoint into context, then going on to describe to people exactly why I'm wrong and you are right (especially when you don't actually address what I said, but rather why you think it was a good thing) is dishonest.

Maybe what he did was good for the game. All I said was that the only time it's getting talked about is when people talk about things he did.

What I wrote after my questions to you are what I think. I have no idea if what I think is a declaration that you are wrong, because I don't know the context of your view point.

You could, ignore the questions, answer the questions or simply disagree with me… your choice.

Edit: In your original you brought up "context". If you are making a statement of context, it helps to understand what is your context. His actions weren't impressive in the context of what?
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Pontius Pilates
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
your choice.
Yes.
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Pontius Pilates
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
your choice.
Correct. I am not interested in being forced to address anything but my statement that the only time it's getting talked about is when people talk about things he did.
Agreed, and my response was that it is at least talked about. I further went on to argue that the community and GW could have turned it into a positive selling point for the game.

Smitty
Just my thoughts on the PvE stuff..

The next few sprints need to focus on the monster AI, analytics and general play-ability. While it is true the game is not suppose to be about PvE every single encounter can be managed the exact same way. Most every monster hex has places where you can just run back and forth between the 2 locations to complete quest. Sometimes a variation exist to find and right click a mob every 3 or 5 kills.

The game is not suppose to be PvE , but the PvE shouldn’t be painful to participate in either.
Escalations ..
Elemental all do their big attack once ( first thing they do). Sand pulls you, earth throws you, magma ae stuns you etc. After the attack run in circles if you are being hit.
Duregar, these guys have a bunch of ranged guys , so you focus those guys down then run in circles ..
Mordandt, take out scouts, archaeologist then run in circles..
Usties, priest stun kill them first, run in circles
Ogres- kill javelin guys, then shamans then run in circles.
For any of escalation, if you bite off more than you can chew, run away and reset the mobs.
Everything is the same strategy.. kill range run in circles, make sure if running 2 groups , the group with the most people gets the kill on stuff as that gives loot..
The escalations are repetitive and grindy, and the computer AI while not the focus of the game needs to be more engaging or people are never going to play long enough to get to the point where they want see what else the game has to offer.
Seraph
We will definitely need a PvE update at some point, no doubt. There are a few simple tactics that are universally effective and remove almost all of the risk from escalations, and the answer isn't nearly as simple as tweaking hit points and damage numbers. Someday engaging Ustalavians should feel like a real battle instead of this ridiculous but effective dance where one person is running in a circle with 10 knights chasing them on foot while the rest of the group peels them off one at a time.
Seraph
Cleric of Sarenrae
Brighthaven
Memory-High Priest of Desna
well, to be fair seraph, as we grow in power, it is more like a real battle. I think we always resorted to the kiting mechanics because we weren't strong enough to fight them any other way.
Adventure Time with the High Priest of Desna, begins Tuesday 08/18 at 6:00pm EST (10:00 server time) at the Thornkeep Auction house. All new players welcome!

Official titles and Nicknames:
Spherewalker of Indor-Mardil, High Priest of Desna, Dreaden-appointed Forum Troll Extraordinaire, The Southern Speedster, Slinger of Stars, Newbie-Bear, Gutter of Golgothans, King of Kiters, Johnny Ustalavian-Seed, and Peaches.
Drogon
How goes that war Zycor?
HpoD - "I have, however, sat and watched as others took things more personally (on both sides) and became zealots, charging forward on a shining white horse into a pile of shit. Forum Warriors at their peak, striding the battlefield knee deep in the bloody, broken arguments of their adversaries before the burning village of their credibility….Chill guys. "

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post