Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Whither Forever War?

Edam
Burning down unopposed unattended holdings is not really PvP.

It's a bit like CODE in EVE when they attack unattended AFK freighters being run by an NPC autopilot, its about as carebear as it gets.

Just saying.
Midnight
Riiiiight… it isn't PvP.

Thus even the PVP averse won't complain if someone does it every night across the entire map. smile
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Beinion
Midnight
Riiiiight… it isn't PvP.

Thus even the PVP averse won't complain if someone does it every night across the entire map. smile
I am pretty sure pvp stands for player vs player if there is no vs then it is just P
Unless I have been miss using pvp for years smile
Edam
Midnight
Riiiiight… it isn't PvP.

The holdings do not do anything useful at present other than build up even more bulk resources for use at some undefined future time.

It also costs more in materials lost to defend them then just put up new ones.

Even if the attacker has enough surplus influence to replace all your adjoining holdings with their own they still cannot take your settlement unless you forget to pay upkeep (do not laugh it has happened in EVE).

ergo - the only reason to defend holdings is street cred, ego and an opportunity to PvP.
Decius
Tigari
tribuzio
Tigari
tribuzio
Now we don't fight and do what is fun for us. Result Golgotha is not winning even when they destroy the outposts, simply because they have way less fun

You really don't understand us do you lol? Sure, we enjoyed the actual fights, but burning holding is still fun, we all stand around, and BS with each other. Also, by you guys not showing up, a lot of EoX people count it as a "win". You guys chose that just loosing the holdings was less valuable then fighting us.. While it was the smart choice, specially since a lot of you guys don't enjoy the daily Pvp, it still felt like a win, and boosted morale. So possibly a win on both sides.

"Curiously" your burning down buildings has slowed noticeably in a few days, so I have some doubt about your statement that you find as much fun.

Yea, that happens when you guys bounce your window to 5am, then 3am, then back to 5am (EST). At first it wasn't a problem for me, I had baby leave. Now I'm back to work and can't make it, and IDK about the others. More of we just burned all of Phaeros's holdings… Moved on to sylva, then alot of stuff changed. Who know's maybe the burning will pick up soon.
So do you agree that jerking the window around like that shouldn't be possible, or not?
Tigari
IDK, it's doing what you wanted it to do. I'll still get it on the weekend, and really the outposts were just a means for the ends of actual pvp. i can still run around and look for you guys.. I enjoy skirmish style pvp more anyways smile.
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Bottom line, the PVP system(s) in PFO are very ill-conceived. Far too complex than they were needed to be.

Lee had written once that Faction based PVP was the easiest to code and implement, probably because that is the main PVP system he developed in Fallen Earth. But, if we take him at his word on that, then clearly the Faction based system should have been implemented first.

The Forever War might either have never happened, or would have been dramatically different depending on various companies' faction affiliations. First off, dropping companies would not have dropped PVP flag unless the player also dropped faction. Dropping faction was allowable in Fallen Earth, but it took time and you lost a lot of your advancement with that faction.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Bringslite
@ Midnight

I don't think that the problem is that EoX wants to PVP. I think that the problem is that EoX is able to PVP for 23/7/365 against the same general target and so it will.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Phyllain
Decius
Tigari
tribuzio
Tigari
tribuzio
N
So do you agree that jerking the window around like that shouldn't be possible, or not?

Nope, we know exactly when it is every day because we have the ability to check it.
Midnight
Bringslite
@ Midnight

I don't think that the problem is that EoX wants to PVP. I think that the problem is that EoX is able to PVP for 23/7/365 against the same general target and so it will.

The real problem is that you (and others) see that as a problem and I (and others) don't. Thus leaving anyone hoping to entertain us all in a difficult position.

But I'll remind you that low budget sandboxes depend on conflict between players for content. If you think GW is struggling financially NOW, imagine what it would cost to entertain us as we burn through GW developed content, rather than just building the tools for *us* to create content.

THAT is going to be the final factor in seeing this game saved. The cheap PvP sandbox TOOLBOX solution vs. expensive dev generated content means that there are MORE investors who can afford the sandbox. We could still see a wildly wealthy company or investor willing to pay devs to generate content instead of leaving it to us, but sandbox development costs are a pill that is easier to swallow, leaving more investors able to afford it.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post