Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Whither Forever War?

Bringslite
A simple solution: Feuds involve company vs. company.

(these numbers are examples)

A company must have three things to start a feud:
1. A holding with two outposts.
2. Influence.
3. A feud token.

Each week a company gets a feud token if it starts the week with a holding and two outposts and finishes the week with at least a holding. For two holdings as detailed it gets two tokens. For four it gets 3. Etc….

*Feud costs are 10 influence and a feud token, only.
*Only companies that declare or are declared against, and no others, can participate in a feud hex reputation free.
*A feud lasts for two days (24 hours) with the same setup for PVP windows except the aggressor is vulnerable during the defender's PVP window and vice versa. If PVP window settings are a massive problem despite this, that can be examined separately.
*Any holding that is destroyed or torn down costs the investor 10% of the investment.
*Capturing a holding costs 50% of the influence that whatever is left would have cost.
*During a feud, an aggressing or defending company can't place or remove structures from it's held hexes though it can claim new ones.

A few simple changes. If GW does not have backed up versions of it's EE releases, then probably too much work.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
Company hopping. This is a useful tool that pretty much makes running a settlement easier. Not impossible without it, but certainly way more time consuming and frustrating. Unfortunately, it is a bane during feuds.

The only real solution is a cool down vs. rejoining a company or a cost. A cost (say 1 inf every time you leave) is easily gamed by having lots of 5 member companies. BUT you have to pay 1 when you leave the company that you hopped to, as well.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Midnight
Bringslite

2. Influence.
3. A feud token.

When all the map hexes for holdings are already taken, how does the next AGC get started in holding placement, feuding, and settlement capture activities?
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
Hobson Fiffledown
What if you could could bank Inf at a holding (say, equal to its current banked upkeep cost) to override rep-free combat in that hex for a period equal to basic feud length with the same 10% Inf loss at the end?

No company could protect 100% of their holdings 100% of the time, but you could get a little respite or at least concentrate your defenses more. I would still make the holdings in protected hexes vulnerable to capture, but it would mean a big rep hit. I would almost argue for a guard upgrade too. As higher plus holdings would cost more to keep protected, no group could protect themselves indefinitely.

The hex owner should have to bank the influence physically at the holding toolbox. It might add a little intelligence/CI to the game, attackers would have to scout more, and it might help out with some basic company issues (hopping, static inf holding companies, inf whales, etc.).

Faction based PvP would have to happen first though!

The problem I see is that you'd be allowing that spot to continue to be RESERVED by a company unable/unwilling to defend it when it could be occupied by someone who IS willing to defend it and (to me) would be more deserving of the benefits/power that having a holding confer.

I'd still prefer holdings that can be packed up, for weekend warriors.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Duffy Swiftshadow
One solution is to pledge to someone else, fight with them to take or clear some area and then break off to do your own thing, like feudalism kinda worked. Arguably if the whole map is claimed by super groups going on their own is probably gonna fail anyways unless they come in with overwhelming numbers. Maybe that's just how it should work, at that point you have to play the social game and then maybe do a heel turn or work with someone else for a bit.

I'm not super sold on that being the defacto way, but it's one solution.
Bringslite
Midnight
Bringslite

2. Influence.
3. A feud token.

When all the map hexes for holdings are already taken, how does the next AGC get started in holding placement, feuding, and settlement capture activities?

If/when there are no more hexes, expand the map. There should be mechanics for raiding holdings that are outside of feuding as well for bandits. Perhaps rep free or rep light penalties for factions etc.. that do not allow for structure destruction?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Midnight
Bringslite
Company hopping. This is a useful tool that pretty much makes running a settlement easier. Not impossible without it, but certainly way more time consuming and frustrating. Unfortunately, it is a bane during feuds.

The only real solution is a cool down vs. rejoining a company or a cost. A cost (say 1 inf every time you leave) is easily gamed by having lots of 5 member companies. BUT you have to pay 1 when you leave the company that you hopped to, as well.

LOL, at the rate I company hop some weekends I'd burn more influence than I generate. And over half my company hopping has NOTHING to do with feuds, so why should THAT kind of company hopping cost influence?
-Edmund Burke
Bringslite
Midnight
Bringslite

LOL, at the rate I company hop some weekends I'd burn more influence than I generate. And over half my company hopping has NOTHING to do with feuds, so why should THAT kind of company hopping cost influence?

Agreed. That is why I mentioned it. I am in that boat as well. The main reason for the complaints about it are all to do with feuds. If GW could just lock feuding and feuded companies, that would solve some things. Unfortunately, people will pad companies before declaring and that leaves defenders worse off than ever.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Duffy Swiftshadow
Drop feuds as a thing for now and make it wars, collect the influence resource or tie it to something at the settlement level. All the company problems are gone and it works more like how we're playing anyways.
Hobson Fiffledown
Midnight - With a per hex cost that increases with the holding level, even the biggest Inf farmers would have a hard time protecting everything forever. To protect a +3 Holding, it would be 250 additional banked (?) with a 25 point loss at the end per hex. I think it would force area based protection (front line and zone) or strategic specific hex defense (your one +4 hex or a terrain based decision). You could also camp the holding to prevent the protection upkeep from being paid. You could also say 'Eff it" and take the rep hit to burn the hex or run it yourself [EDIT: using normal feud mechanics].

As far as company hopping goes, it wouldn't necessarily curtail it, but you would have to be more cautious about burning Inf and/or dropping your cap when hopping.

It's not a great solution, but it seems like it uses features which are mostly already in the game.
This space for rent.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post