Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Whither Forever War?

Midnight
Would a “respite” (if chosen) mean that characters from that “successful” company can’t join OTHER companies’ PvP?

Because no one in the EBA would have been tired from defending their own company’s holdings.

Their fatigue was entirely self inflicted due to the web of mutual defense that had them INTERFERING with feuds that really shouldn’t concern their company.

In the real world I can keep intruders out of my house and not be tired. But if I try to keep intruders out of everybody’s houses I’m going to be very fatigued.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Hobson Fiffledown
Oh, I strongly believe pretty much everyone here has made their own beds. This isn't a solution catered to any one group, just an idea to give the "defenders" some Inf related options to affect feud dynamics. I still feel we need faction PvP or other PvP (localized?) in place before any clamp down on current PvP options.

The only respite, in this Inf banked idea, is the target of a feud having a tool to deter feud attacks on particular individual hexes. I would say the single-hex, rep-free PvP "respite" goes for the initial feud target as well (normal feud-free rep mechanics for everyone in that hex, but the holding capture/burn mechanic is still on).
This space for rent.
Bringslite
Midnight
Would a “respite” (if chosen) mean that characters from that “successful” company can’t join OTHER companies’ PvP?

Because no one in the EBA would have been tired from defending their own company’s holdings.

Their fatigue was entirely self inflicted due to the web of mutual defense that had them INTERFERING with feuds that really shouldn’t concern their company.

In the real world I can keep intruders out of my house and not be tired. But if I try to keep intruders out of everybody’s houses I’m going to be very fatigued.

If there are to be limits to company hopping due to feud imbalances, they should apply to aggressor and defender. There should probably be more of a lead time to declare a feud and also an option to add (at their expense and later optionally another's) more companies to feuds for both sides.

Really should stop calling them Feuds as well. Good point, above.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Beinion
Midnight

Actually 90% of the attacks we against the echo wardens and woodsmen and as they are essentially the same company only separate because of mechanics and I was a warden and I was fatigued from only defending our own holdings any of the other company's holding were mostly attacked after they were pushed away from the wardens ones and even if we only did show up to our own we need to be there everyday during our pvp window because there was a a time fued so potential attack could have happened
Yrme
Midnight
Bringslite
Company hopping. This is a useful tool that pretty much makes running a settlement easier. Not impossible without it, but certainly way more time consuming and frustrating. Unfortunately, it is a bane during feuds.

The only real solution is a cool down vs. rejoining a company or a cost. A cost (say 1 inf every time you leave) is easily gamed by having lots of 5 member companies. BUT you have to pay 1 when you leave the company that you hopped to, as well.

LOL, at the rate I company hop some weekends I'd burn more influence than I generate. And over half my company hopping has NOTHING to do with feuds, so why should THAT kind of company hopping cost influence?

I company hop a lot, too.

I jump to a company in another settlement to take advantage of their higher training level. I jump to a company to shift bulk resources for them, or to use their holding banks. I jump to another company to take advantage of the company bank for crafting. If I was low Rep I could jump into a settlement to use their bank or crafting without the guards killing me. In every case, I am bypassing the limits on company mechanics and settlement limits that are built into the game.

We have lots of companies in the SE. We'd have a lot fewer companies if we couldn't company hop. But I think the companies would be stronger, even if we weren't using 10s of absent characters to increase our Influence.

Influence isn't supposed to just be about feuds. It is about holdings, too, and as originally described, was supposed to have lots of options for buffs tied to the company's focus.
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
Elsworth Sugarfoot
Honestly, why do you need a solution to company hopping. Beinon got tired of losing? Phaeros didn't have enough players to defend? If they had more players or were better then he could have taken a night off. It only takes 1 victory every 3 nights at a time of your choosing to defend your holding anyway.
Brighthaven Leader
@Elsworth, I think there was a lot of confusion at first, and people thought that when something is overun it destroys it by 1 level. The only time anything gets destroyed is when the whole thing is taken. Also, there is still a bug with holdings, so that doesn't help. I am glad that after 11 they will be taking time out to do a lot of polish, bug fixes, and iteration.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Decius
Elsworth Sugarfoot
Honestly, why do you need a solution to company hopping. Beinon got tired of losing? Phaeros didn't have enough players to defend? If they had more players or were better then he could have taken a night off. It only takes 1 victory every 3 nights at a time of your choosing to defend your holding anyway.
It would be nice if people could stop the constant baiting.
Phyllain
Decius
Elsworth Sugarfoot
It would be nice if people could stop the constant baiting.

Nice.
Bringslite
Elsworth Sugarfoot

It is clear to me that the feud system is crappy in several ways. One of those ways is that for the cost of 10 influence, an entire settlement can participate. We have that problem largely because of company hopping. Instead of fixing company hopping, it was arranged so that company hopping was not needed. Both the Hopping and the entire "fix" make feuds into wars. It certainly did not create more PVP or gear churn. Players adapted their strategies and now there is probably less gear churn. No one's fault there, but GW's.

I don't post about it because I am a member of a settlement involved in conflict. It's just because I think that the mechanics suck. True that I don't like or want PVP as much as you do Elsworth, so you might not agree. I am ok with that.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post