Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Whither Forever War?

Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Elsworth Sugarfoot
Nihimon
No "win" condition - same problem Duffy eloquently described very, very early in EE. And there's still no "win" condition other than harassing your enemies into not playing/posting.
This is actually a huge problem, and I've always felt that GW chickened out on having consequences, especially when it came to level support. With the WoT everyone was given tier2 even if they held no towers, mostly due to small inactive settlements crying about how it was impossible to get towers (hint: Don't be a small inactive settlement). Now with Bulk resources everyone is level 20????? Ridiculous. It's should be dropped to 0. You should have to pay those bulk resources every week to to have that support. Also currently settlement capture is basically impossible if the defender is at all active. Bulk resources are flush and no one will ever run out. Even if they do the rest of the map will probably be more than happy to sell them some.

They could also never fully implement character reputations effecting your DI. I always thought having 2 alts on every account was just an invitation to game the system.

Well, it would have been nice if the bulk resources could actually be stolen, without having to advertise that you were going to steal them (ie. feud only).

There is no real incentive to move the bulk resources from the holdings, and there is no risk for leaving them there unless you are currently in a feud.

We should be able to go and kill the guards, take what bulk goods we can transport during the PVP window, and as long as no players are involved there would be no reputation loss. This is how the raiding system was described in the Dev Blogs before alpha.

You essentially have a mega surplus of everything because the looting has been so severely limited by various systems, that you have virtual unhindered resource gathering.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Well, it would have been nice if
Yes. It would be nice if the game was finished, but it isn't, and you know that as well as anyone. Complaining about a planned feature that isn't implemented as though it is a design flaw is disingenuous. Considering how much you know about building successful games, I'd expect better.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Yrme
Elsworth Sugarfoot
They could also never fully implement character reputations effecting your DI. I always thought having 2 alts on every account was just an invitation to game the system.

Why couldn't character reputation affect DI?

Averages wouldn't work, of course, not with having lots a spare alts and even crafters who never leave town. But that doesn't mean they couldn't have a system that works character by character. Both companies and settlements could have a Reputation floor for their membership. Each member below that floor could have some detrimental effect(s).

At the company level, each member below the floor could, for example, reduce company Influence gains by 5%. The company leadership gets to make the decision if the character is worth the Influence losses. Any character with Rep below the company floor couldn't join the company (so we can't company hop when lower rep than the company floor).

At the settlement level, each member below the settlement rep floor could be just -1% DI: something like corruption or unrest. And again, companies with low Rep floors and individuals with low rep couldn't join the settlement. (So the low rep character can't join a higher rep settlement to bypass guard agro).

Not saying that the Devs would choose that system. But there's no reason they couldn't fully implement character reputations effecting settlement DI.
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
Tigari
Elsworth Sugarfoot
Also currently settlement capture is basically impossible if the defender is at all active. Bulk resources are flush and no one will ever run out. Even if they do the rest of the map will probably be more than happy to sell them some.

The current mechanic to taking over a settlement was not intended for use to actually capture an enemy settlement, but so companies or other settlements could take over the abandoned settlements.
Midnight
@tribuzio

Don't get me wrong. EoX *is* a bellicose settlement. We just are not the MOST bellicose.
As proof, EoX was willing to be part of a truce that included the entire EBA… whereas Phaeros has repeatedly stated in various threads, including this one, that they were unwilling to enter into a truce.

But yes, the EoX could have communicated too. However, once the world learned Phaeros wasn't part of the truce, people like me realized there will likely never be a meaningful peace with Phaeros.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
Tigari
Elsworth Sugarfoot
Also currently settlement capture is basically impossible if the defender is at all active. Bulk resources are flush and no one will ever run out. Even if they do the rest of the map will probably be more than happy to sell them some.

The current mechanic to taking over a settlement was not intended for use to actually capture an enemy settlement, but so companies or other settlements could take over the abandoned settlements.

Yup. The other requirement to take over a settlement is that GW be unable to communicate with the person whose settlement is being captured. GW is delaying ACTIVE settlement capture until they put in siege machines.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Nihimon
Midnight
… whereas Phaeros has repeatedly stated in various threads, including this one, that they were unwilling to enter into a truce.

Phaeros has repeatedly stated that it will not enter into binding agreements with EoX because of EoX's tendency to twist the definitions of any terms used in those agreements to their own advantage.

Phaeros has repeatedly entered into unilateral "cooling off" periods where we stopped pressing the attack against EoX. Those were inevitably met with further aggression against us from EoX.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Midnight
Nihimon
Phaeros has repeatedly stated that it will not enter into binding agreements with EoX because of EoX's tendency to twist the definitions of any terms used in those agreements to their own advantage.

There is nothing better than having ONE settlement completely distrust you.

If GW had asked me what could entertain me and folks like me… well, heck, I couldn't have designed a better opponent.

Long live the forever war!
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
Nihimon
Phaeros has repeatedly entered into unilateral "cooling off" periods

Yes, you've made it clear that your folks tire of PvP very easily. smile
-Edmund Burke
Nihimon
It must be truly shocking that a group of players who generally avoid PvP games, and who fell in love with the promise of PFO largely because non-consensual PvP was supposed to have consequences for the aggressor, might grow bored when that promise is revealed to be hollow and they find themselves in just another PvP game with no consequences other than the consequences that already exist in every other PvP game.

Have you seriously considered what the game would be like if those consequences had actually been in?
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post