Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Whither Forever War?

Edam
Midnight
The Forever War is currently a pale shadow of itself. I declared a feud last weekend. Never found a feud target. Furthermore the company I feuded didn't even change member numbers. No one company hopped to dodge the feud, nor to pile into the feud. They probably didn't even know there was a feud. The good news is everyone is probably catching up on their Netflix series binging. smile

Ignoring the ridiculous ongoing silly squabble for a bit and looking at the current feud mechanics:

- no-one is anywhere near needing the settlement training level that would even slightly dint the hundreds of thousands of bulk resources built up around the map
- even if we did have a need for bulk resources and hence holdings and outposts, Ryans war of attrition mechanic means there is no motivation for an attacker to try and take anything in the short timeframe that would engender large attacks
- even if there was a need for holdings and outposts and a motivated attacker its cheaper to put up new ones then defend them

WHICH means that feuds are only useful as a means for petty small minded vindictive behavior and/or meaningless attention seeking PvP just for the tears and lols.
Midnight
Edam
Midnight
The Forever War is currently a pale shadow of itself. I declared a feud last weekend. Never found a feud target. Furthermore the company I feuded didn't even change member numbers. No one company hopped to dodge the feud, nor to pile into the feud. They probably didn't even know there was a feud. The good news is everyone is probably catching up on their Netflix series binging. smile

Ignoring the ridiculous ongoing silly squabble for a bit and looking at the current feud mechanics:

- no-one is anywhere near needing the settlement training level that would even slightly dint the hundreds of thousands of bulk resources built up around the map
- even if we did have a need for bulk resources and hence holdings and outposts, Ryans war of attrition mechanic means there is no motivation for an attacker to try and take anything in the short timeframe that would engender large attacks
- even if there was a need for holdings and outposts and a motivated attacker its cheaper to put up new ones then defend them

WHICH means that feuds are only useful as a means for petty small minded vindictive behavior and/or meaningless attention seeking PvP just for the tears and lols.

IF there were people playing, feuding wouldn't be about bulk resources. The best fights were over control of escalations.

IF there were people playing, control of T3 gathering in those same monster hexes would be very worthy of combat.

IF there were people playing, gear churn and resource interdiction would still be a thing, and would remain far more important than holdings in controlling the enemy's ability to make war.

GW has succeeded in giving people things that are worthwhile to fight for. However, their feud holding refund mechanic makes the influence cost for fighting over the IMPORTANT stuff more prohibitive than fighting over worthless holdings.

And the fact that people aren't currently playing the game makes it all moot, anyway.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Edam
Midnight
IF there were people playing, control of T3 gathering in those same monster hexes would be very worthy of combat.

You might see some skirmishes but control of a monster hex that can be degraded by a couple of ninja gatherers in a very short time is probably impossible.

Personally I would like to see T3 gathering require you place some sort of temporary outpost in the hex that is attackable. This would allow people to "lay claim" to the T3 resources and allow other people to contest that. Like a POS or POCO, this sort of PvP I could get interested in. Even then, you will still get people making diplomatic deals to "share" those resources rather than always fight but that is PFO.
Midnight
Edam
Midnight

You might see some skirmishes but control of a monster hex that can be degraded by a couple of ninja gatherers in a very short time is probably impossible.

Personally I would like to see T3 gathering require you place some sort of temporary outpost in the hex that is attackable. This would allow people to "lay claim" to the T3 resources and allow other people to contest that. Like a POS or POCO, this sort of PvP I could get interested in. Even then, you will still get people making diplomatic deals to "share" those resources rather than always fight but that is PFO.

The hexes are *currently* being hit so lightly that even on a weekend my bags filled up before I could even degrade (much less deplete) a hex. But yeah if people come back it would be interesting to see how it works now that there are so many people who can gather T3.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
I agree with Bob from Goblinworks (in the Keepside Chat) that this thread has run its course.

We've figured out where things stand, and no one is surprising us by volunteering to leap into the frying pan, so if you have something important to say (where you expect a reply from others) another thread is probably the place. Bob is likely closing this thread, and even if he forgets, I declare this thread old and tired. smile
-Edmund Burke
Decius
We're still here. We've just adopted a strategy of not helping you win the game you want to play.

I'll even put up holdings and outposts, but I won't promise to defend them and I'm not going to get into a Red Queen's Race producing them ourselves.
Bob
Closing before this becomes the Forever Topic.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post