Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Whither Forever War?

Midnight
tribuzio
Bringslite
You know what guys? Even before today's Fireside Chat, there has been a lot of political movement/adjustment around the server. Is there even any reason to drone on further? The Dev team is much smaller now so there will not be many fast fixes to the problems with the PVP/Feud mechanics.

No, you can't fight off a determined aggressor by defeating him many times so that you "win". That kinda sucks, but….

Guess what? You can't lose your settlement either. You can't lose. No one can really win or lose in terms of the "Big Picture". I feel like that is actually a good place to be until all of the systems are in and working right. I just hadn't thought of it that way until now.

You see, that has a generated the current tactic. Phaeros and friends couldn't win even when winning the fights as the enemy was having fun regardless of the single battle result, we were actually losing even where we weren't losing outposts as we hadn't fun in those battles.

Now we don't fight and do what is fun for us. Result Golgotha is not winning even when they destroy the outposts, simply because they have way less fun than before.

Doc opinion notwithstanding our goal in game isn't to provide fun to others at our expenses, so we have no intention of playing the game the way he want us to play, and our way to play is as legitimate as his.

The way I see it is that when EBA showed up we were more focused on kills and churning their gear than on the "objective" that got them to the fight.

The "objectives" are merely the bait.

Since sandboxes RELY on conflict for their content, it is only a matter of time until GW turns "objectives" into better bait.

It could be as simple as having holdings produce a "Holding Marker" after each PvP window ends and altering the building recipes to include Holding Markers as a required building material, as well as adding Holding Markers as part of training level support.

Since there are no 3 month surpluses of Holding Markers garnered before holding PvP was enabled, suddenly there's a reason to fight over holdings again (as well as a reason to become or remain the kind of reasonable settlement that doesn't make enemies).
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Tigari
tribuzio
Now we don't fight and do what is fun for us. Result Golgotha is not winning even when they destroy the outposts, simply because they have way less fun

You really don't understand us do you lol? Sure, we enjoyed the actual fights, but burning holding is still fun, we all stand around, and BS with each other. Also, by you guys not showing up, a lot of EoX people count it as a "win". You guys chose that just loosing the holdings was less valuable then fighting us.. While it was the smart choice, specially since a lot of you guys don't enjoy the daily Pvp, it still felt like a win, and boosted morale. So possibly a win on both sides.
Midnight
EBA PvP windows became our daily guild meeting, calmly discussing plans in both PFO and Ark.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Decius
Midnight
EBA PvP windows became our daily guild meeting, calmly discussing plans in both PFO and Ark.
Perception checking: did it feel like you won PFO and therefore want to move on to and win the next game?
Just Dak
Decius
Midnight
Perception checking: did it feel like you won PFO and therefore want to move on to and win the next game?

I haven't read or heard anyone in EoX that wants to move on to the next game. Most everyone has expressed an interest to stay, and I don't think anyone thinks there has been a long term win condition (Or "Game Over" winning. At least not seriously)
Give me a reasonable despot any day. Someone that constantly reminds everyone that they are virtuous and honorable can not be trusted to be either. If you are good we will know by your deeds, if you are reasonable we will know by our deals.
Midnight
Decius
Midnight

What I see over and over is a pendulum of success that swings our way and your way. Right now it is swinging our way. At the wildest extreme someone might try to claim we have defeated Phaeros (but I think the jury is still out until sieges), but I've been very clear that my opinion is that the Coal Road folks look to be winning PFO.

We do plenty of the same stuff the coal road folks do (the KB auction house is a testament to that), but an hour a night got spent dealing with an opponent who'd like to destroy us, which became our daily guild meeting when they stopped risking their gear to oppose us.
-Edmund Burke
tribuzio
Tigari
tribuzio
Now we don't fight and do what is fun for us. Result Golgotha is not winning even when they destroy the outposts, simply because they have way less fun

You really don't understand us do you lol? Sure, we enjoyed the actual fights, but burning holding is still fun, we all stand around, and BS with each other. Also, by you guys not showing up, a lot of EoX people count it as a "win". You guys chose that just loosing the holdings was less valuable then fighting us.. While it was the smart choice, specially since a lot of you guys don't enjoy the daily Pvp, it still felt like a win, and boosted morale. So possibly a win on both sides.

"Curiously" your burning down buildings has slowed noticeably in a few days, so I have some doubt about your statement that you find as much fun.

Midnight
We do plenty of the same stuff the coal road folks do (the KB auction house is a testament to that), but an hour a night got spent dealing with an opponent who'd like to destroy us, which became our daily guild meeting when they stopped risking their gear to oppose us.

Interesting vision. Exactly from where it come this idea of "an opponent who'd like to destroy us"? I have seen several posts of different EoX people stating that their goal is to destroy Phaeros, way less of Phaeros people stating that they want to destroy EoX.
Midnight
tribuzio
Midnight

Interesting vision. Exactly from where it come this idea of "an opponent who'd like to destroy us"? I have seen several posts of different EoX people stating that their goal is to destroy Phaeros, way less of Phaeros people stating that they want to destroy EoX.

Phaeros tries to undercut everything EoX does. In forums, in game activity, and general chat, and even in recruitment.

It is totally their right to do that in a sandbox, but if they wanted EoX to believe they wish us a long and happy existence, they have failed miserably at transmitting that sentiment. Of course we retaliate in kind but I think everyone can see that even before there was a game we could log into, Phaeros opposed our very existence.

Even this week Phaeros folk are still throwing around the cheater/griefer accusations in these very forums, and even in this very thread.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
tribuzio
"Curiously" your burning down buildings has slowed noticeably in a few days, so I have some doubt about your statement that you find as much fun.

Were you monitoring every EBA settlement's losses? If we weren't at YOUR settlement, we might have been at another.

There is also variance on the rate of overrunning in a PvP window. It goes faster with +0 stuff and slower with +3 stuff.

Participation is another variable, but we had plenty of people (we always had to start at least a second group).
-Edmund Burke
tribuzio
Midnight
Phaeros tries to undercut everything EoX does. In forums, in game activity, and general chat, and even in recruitment.

LOL. Really that is your justification? You have ever read your and your associated posts with the eyes of an outsider?
I have seen you do exactly that form the first day I have start reading the. forum. I must admit that you guys are generally more successful at that than Phaeros people as you are more coordinated and more willing to support each other, but you do it continually.
Saying "they slander us on the forum" when you do exactly the same is really ridiculous as a justification.
What make it even more absurd is that you guys have repeatedly stated that your goal is to destroy Phaeros, and then you came here and protests "they are against us, they speak badly of us".

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post